Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just use multiple tabs.

Keep your primary tab for reading and open the link to any post you want to reply to in a new tab. Then you can either reply as you go in the secondary tabs while not losing your position on the main tab, or catch up entirely on the thread and have a series of remaining tabs open that you want to reply to.

I prefer the second option as there are many time where the reply I was going to give has been said by someone else.
Great suggestion, only it doesn't work for me (I tried iPad and Chrome-based PC). The top right link (which used to open just that message) but now opens the entire page and simply jumps to the message in question. End result is after the reply from even the new tab, it still marks everything "read" and the "Jump to New" information is lost. This is a big deal to those of us who read this thread when we can on multiple devices and depend on the forum to keep track for us. I do feel this small issue impacts the way and frequency with which some members will (or will no longer) respond to messages.

I've said enough on this issue and will not mention it again in this thread, but feel free to PM if you know another workaround or the right place to discuss this issue.

Interesting strategy. So they will build fancy charging stations to have them under utilized. Think volkswagen is going off the deep end and forgot how to generate a profit. Think they need more accountants than MBAs.

A lot of people here want to assume Diess and Co are total morons stumbling in the dark.

I suspect VW knows how many Porsche EV owners they have and approximately how many they will have in the near future and build out the network accordingly.

In order to give customers paying $70k-$250k BEVs a premium experience and a reason to pay more than the Audi price.

Support isn't at $700; it's at the mid-BB:

View attachment 644641

BTW, this is real progress because last week the mid-BB was the resistance level.

If we can hold the mid-BB through the lunch-lull (and vol doesn't collapse), we may have something to build upon.

As @Curt Renz told us earlier today, inflation fears as embodied in the 10-yr T-bill yield are starting to dissipate.

Cheers!
5 SMA also would provide some (albeit not as much) resistance on the way down. Currently @ 688.11. Personally, I'm liking the price action, and much like you've already said, am content to see those averages being support rather than caps. If this keeps up through close, definitely feels like a tide turn.

A lot of people here want to assume Diess and Co are total morons stumbling in the dark.

I suspect VW knows how many Porsche EV owners they have and approximately how many they will have in the near future and build out the network accordingly.

In order to give customers paying $70k-$250k BEVs a premium experience and a reason to pay more than the Audi price.
As far as I can tell there is no "and Co", the company is completely fractured. It's nearly impossible to compete with Tesla with an organization in lock step, 60% of VW seems adamantly against this transition.

They're not morons, they're just not aligned. And have little chance of getting aligned in the near term.

You could drive 50 miles a day easily on the regular 120V/15A outlet. If you drive 75 miles a day, an additional 15 minute Supercharger visit per week would be sufficient (matching the single fuel up you'd need with an ICE).

Basically even in a bad situation, it's not really that bad.

Frankly, how?

Even if you charge for 12 hours with your car, that's only 48 miles at a time. That's not even factoring any range loss from things like AC or heating or bad driving habits or traffic, or if you occasionally have to go further than typical like if a relative was visiting, or there was a child's soccer match, etc.

I had a older 2015 Model S that I rented when I was visiting my family. I charged at my sister's place, who only had a 120v outlet for me to use. There was no Supercharger near where I was, nor any feasible level 2 charger, not even a pay as you go one. It was a struggle to keep the charge, even if I only had the car a week, and I didn't commute to work at all during that time. It's one of the reasons I was so set to get a place here in Hawaii where I could install a Tesla charger.

The Trebuchet
1615837387311.png

1615837536087.png

I would just be happy with vehicle to home (V2H) to help power my house if I lose power for a day. I think this would be a great selling point.

Absolutely. If you turn off the heavy electrical consumers, you can run a house quite comfortably at an average 3 to 4 kW draw meaning you could survive a fairly long outage on just your car's battery.

I've never understood the charging debate.

I simply plug my Tesla into a standard plug outlet in my garage. I get 18km per hour which overnight is plenty

No need for chargers or anything...

Although yes, the community of residents, or the law of the country or city would have to let electric car owners plug in whenever and wherever they like
The charging debate is to a large extend people trying to wrap their heads around a different reality than gas cars. We proponents try to laud Tesla superchargers, as we should, but for traditionally thinking people 25 mins feels like a long time - for them spending more than 5 mins feels like a step back.
(People don't perceive queuing up, or waiting for an available gas stall as 'real' time, so that is not counted)

BUT - If you instead can get them to imagine that they get to have a private 'gas station' at home, and therefore don't have to spend time at sketchy public gas station, but instead start everyday with a full tank, then the mental battle is won.

Also, the US is huge and has a lot of open land and space - much of the rest of the world is more densely populated.
Copenhagen is a small/tiny city in international terms, but still: not a lot of private parking in the city center. Yes there are car parks, but expensive and far between - almost everyone parks on the street. (You still have to have a license and pay a fee for parking on the street, it is sort of an open car park scenario)
Some newly built residential areas have parking space built-in - this has been the norm within the last 2-3 decades in the new parts of town. But most of the city is old or very old - and predates car ownership by the masses - or by anyone.

So street chargers are needed and are slowly being rolled out.
They increase year by year. For example in my immediate neighborhood/city block/within 100 m walking distance:
  • ~7 years ago: Zero.
  • ~5 years ago: 1 double charger.
  • ~3 years ago: 2 double chargers.
  • Today: 6 double chargers.

TLDR:
So charging in non-US cities is not necessarily a big problem - but it is also *not* solved - yet.
Work is ongoing. For sure, it will take a while to make every public parking spot into an EV charging spot. Or even every 2nd.

Decades of selling cars and ends up a market cap 1/7th of a scrappy start up..why? Because they felt like they had hundreds of year of experience building cars and laughed at the competition. Now noticed their hundred year advantage vanished overnight, now fighting to be relavent by copying and spending 3x the Capex to accomplish the same thing. Seems like they are the definition of morons. Oh the only "brilliant move" they tried to pull was cheating on emission test.

So back to Porsche. The only utilization they get will be from their SUV line up. Weekend Porsche owner are all ecstatic to go on road trips in their 200k 2 seater...said no one ever.

It's a small demographic who has the $$$ to own those cars and only half of that demographics would ever consider traveling very far or use their car as a daily commutor.