Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am those shoes. In fact, I’m the shoes that never paid even 25k for a vehicle - like ever. I’m the shoes that bought used cars almost exclusively my entire life and paid over 5k for oneUntil Model 3 - fully loaded. About made me barf up my liver.

You’ve erroneously labeled the car a gadget/full of gadgets. It’s not. It’s quite literally the best driving experience that changes how people think about cars even if they’ve never cared a lick about cars before. It flips perspective.

Tesla doesn’t have to do a single thing different to capture more market. They’ll continue to grow organically without needing to cater people who have no interest in leaving their box.
Love to hear when others have had the same life changing experience as I.

I too only owned older cars. Cars I poured love into. I thought I really enjoyed busting knuckles on automotive repairs.

Turns out it was ‘not spending big money’ on cars that I was addicted to.

It was a coincidence that the week we test drove our first Tesla I had spent more than 12 hours replacing a high pressure fuel pump (for the second time) on our 335i cabrio. The thought of driving it into a wall crossed my mind multiple times.

I know it’s just anecdotal; but, last week we went on vacation and had to take an Uber from the parking garage (where I reluctantly left my beloved LRX) to the airport. Both Uber cars had a check engine light on...oh how I don’t miss CEL’s!

Btw, some people have theorized that the hold up with the new S/X has to do with V9 since the new steering wheel seems like it is very dependent on the car knowing it's surroundings when it comes putting itself into drive, reverse, etc....I wasn't really giving this theory a lot of weight back in Feb but I'm kinda at a loss as to why it takes 3+ months to get things started with an refresh. Yes it's a substantial refresh, but 3 months is a very long time.

I am those shoes. In fact, I’m the shoes that never paid even 25k for a vehicle - like ever. I’m the shoes that bought used cars almost exclusively my entire life and paid over 5k for oneUntil Model 3 - fully loaded. About made me barf up my liver.

You’ve erroneously labeled the car a gadget/full of gadgets. It’s not. It’s quite literally the best driving experience that changes how people think about cars even if they’ve never cared a lick about cars before. It flips perspective.

Tesla doesn’t have to do a single thing different to capture more market. They’ll continue to grow organically without needing to cater people who have no interest in leaving their box.

I did the Tesla Stretch - really stretched.... people thought we'd moved house (always had cheap cars before)

I want Tesla to do as much as they think is sensible, no more, no less. Other OEMs should be driven forwards by Tesla's success, fill in gaps.

However, I REALLY want someone / Tesla to sort out vans (delivery & work trades - with power). And like others, I really want Tesla to just make all kinds of EVS, as soon as possible. I now hate ICE pollution with a vengeance & Tesla are by far the best (IMO), so I understand those feelings too.

Not everyone is like me (or by @Krugerrand description, her) feeling ill at thought of huge purchase - so many different sets of people.

Some:-
  • Car must be 5% better than neighbours' (sweet spot between respect & envious hate; probably leap frogging with higher & higher debt over the years), Max 3-4 years old
  • Colour most important
  • 'Highest Brand' (often cheapest model)
  • Same brand every year from the "nice man at the dealer"
  • Must make terrible noises (often do, followed by £££ & garage time)
  • Cold & rainy climates especially, must be a convertible
  • Most gadgets (paddle autos that result in banged heads when accidentally put into wrong mode, owner can't get it back to normal)
  • Launch modes - better if noisy/smelly, take minutes to press buttons & unpredictable
  • Indifferent - just A-B (mostly as how I was) - Toyota drivers - want reliable; boring is good
  • Something from childhood, enabled by mid-career income/debt availability & mid-life crisis
  • more reasonings/motivations than I can remember

That’s how I ended up on this forum. My son who was 6 at the time pressured me to test drive a model 3 after he watched a YouTuber dust a Ferrari with one.

I now get why parents complain having kids is expensive.

Today I bought and sold 10 shares 4 times, just so I could ruin my average purchase price for a $300 reward. Consolation for (probably) another red day.

Love to hear when others have had the same life changing experience as I.

I too only owned older cars. Cars I poured love into. I thought I really enjoyed busting knuckles on automotive repairs.

Turns out it was ‘not spending big money’ on cars that I was addicted to.

It was a coincidence that the week we test drove our first Tesla I had spent more than 12 hours replacing a high pressure fuel pump (for the second time) on our 335i cabrio. The thought of driving it into a wall crossed my mind multiple times.

I know it’s just anecdotal; but, last week we went on vacation and had to take an Uber from the parking garage (where I reluctantly left my beloved LRX) to the airport. Both Uber cars had a check engine light on...oh how I don’t miss CEL’s!
My father was a mechanic. I was helping with oil changes, tune ups and brake jobs at 6 years of age and did my first engine change at 16. I’ve always liked cars, but not the price tag. Plus, I don’t come from money so it always seemed stupid to work hard and then throw money away on such a fast depreciating asset. I still think it’s stupid, but I support the mission. So I’ll try not to barf up a kidney when I pay for my fully loaded tri-motor Cybertruck.

P.S. I know how irritated you felt seeing those check engine lights lit up. I get annoyed when I see a taillight out or a muffler hanging down or uneven tire wear or —

That’s how I ended up on this forum. My son who was 6 at the time pressured me to test drive a model 3 after he watched a YouTuber dust a Ferrari with one.

A week later, we had ordered our first Tesla. PM3. Two weeks after that I was an investor. he got 100 (post split) shares for his trouble.
YAY! So that's the demographic social media marketing efforts need to target. How many 6 year olds are on this forum? What advice do you have for us?

Btw, some people have theorized that the hold up with the new S/X has to do with V9 since the new steering wheel seems like it is very dependent on the car knowing it's surroundings when it comes putting itself into drive, reverse, etc....I wasn't really giving this theory a lot of weight back in Feb but I'm kinda at a loss as to why it takes 3+ months to get things started with an refresh. Yes it's a substantial refresh, but 3 months is a very long time.
1. I really doubt Tesla is not releasing hardware pending on getting the software right. They have never done this before.

2. You would think they release this option for all Tesla users via software updates, and have people at least beta testing it.

1. I really doubt Tesla is not releasing hardware pending on getting the software right. They have never done this before.

2. You would think they release this option for all Tesla users via software updates, and have people at least beta testing it.

The new steering wheel, both the regular and yoke, are stalkless and they've openly said that there will be new software functionality that goes with the new S/X because it doesn't have the stalk.

It's just a theory though. The more realistic assumption is Tesla royally screwed up the production of the S/X refresh.

• Funny
Reactions: FireMedic
I now get why parents complain having kids is expensive.

Today I bought and sold 10 shares 4 times, just so I could ruin my average purchase price for a $300 reward. Consolation for (probably) another red day.
Is that post tax $300? Just sayin’, it matters. Could end up being more like $150. Ask me how I know 😪

On a happier note; US IRS pushed back tax filing (payment) deadline to May 17!

The new steering wheel, both the regular and yoke, are stalkless and they've openly said that there will be new software functionality that goes with the new S/X because it doesn't have the stalk.

It's just a theory though. The more realistic assumption is Tesla royally screwed up the production of the S/X refresh.
Yeah I know, I'm just saying they can release beta version of left/right turn signal and gear shift for their entire fleet. Just because our Model 3 and Y have stalks doesn't mean we need to use it. I honestly thought V11 would have something of that nature, like FSD Beta preview starting with stalkless driving for all cars.

YAY! So that's the demographic social media marketing efforts need to target. How many 6 year olds are on this forum? What advice do you have for us?
I have a six year old whose favorite things include black holes, Roblox, and fart jokes.

He loves our Model S, but wants us to get a Cybertruck. I don’t think he will ever visit a gas station. :)

Maybe Tesla didn’t screw up directly. It’s actually more probable that one of their suppliers screwed up and caused the delay.

Last edited:
I refuse to buy the notion that the China news is holding TSLA down. One must be stupid to think not allowing an autonomous mobile camera crew on military bases is something out of the ordinary.
Agreed. I imagine that Tesla and the Chinese military can find a solution. This was apparently a reaction to the recent tiff between the governments. Perhaps Biden can offer Tesla something as a consolation. Extension of tax credits?

More importantly, the related headlines remind consumers and investors of all the data Tesla is collecting in preparation for Full Self Driving. It's how Tesla can advertise without having to pay the media. :cool:

Last edited:
Some light humor for the day:

My daughter is 8 and is a regular on a disney show...they are flying her and my son out with their mom to Walt Disney World in Florida for 7 days next month for a shoot. I told her "Make sure you behave as i won't be there...." She responded "Make sure you behave and not buy a Cybertruck while we are gone!" 😜😜😜😜😜