Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
14.2 Die Hard.gif

Okay, folks a reminder that we have seen this movie before and we know how it ends.
;)

Question for UK-based investors: after buying and holding shares for a couple of years I might be ready to get more adventurous. I only have 800 shares that are not in ISAs, but selling covered calls is an acceptable risk before i dare think about other options. I use a couple of very basic platforms, but UK seems to have limited choice. Is Interactive Brokers best place to move shares to if I decide to go down covered calls route? Feel free to DM me with recommendations or even offer more specific advice/"not advice" (post-lockdown there might be a coffee and muffin in it to give me an excuse to use the car)! I can keep the basic platforms for my ISA based shares as I doubt one can muddy the water.

CC when SP is low might be a bad strategy, so do be careful for spikes back to recent highs.. CC's during fear doesn't work. CC during greed does.
When everyone in TMC is highfivin each other and playing melodies .. thats the time to sell CC's :)

(+ my CC's sold all on highs of 800+ are helping negate this downward SP effect)

Macro's are green....beer....I feel we might break out of the 650/700 today....beer.
My mountain conquering skills are growing.....beer.

The fact of the matter is...I like beer.

View attachment 645880
Not sure you called it quite right, but WTF, I'm gonna drink the beer anyway!

And as we're down the shltter anyway, some poetry, nothing to lose:

Macros a green,
$TSLA is red,
Please inform @wipster,
To go back to bed

I've been thinking about Jerome Guillen's move and am coming more to the conclusion that rather than being a demotion for him, it's a promotion for trucking in Tesla's priorities. It's also an indication that the battery drought might be easing.

It seems to me that he is still #1 in the line of succession, if he wants to be. He's had experience in several different roles and has done well with all of them.

Nope, I deliberately did not include them, because at my (imaginary) £40k budget, I couldn't afford them on the tesla model 3, so the fact that they are an option is nice but...

Again to many people right now, thats a gadget. Sure, its a cool gadget. I have AP1 on my S, and I love it. But Volkswagen are not competing for the best gadget, they are selling cars RIGHT NOW to people who might love autopilot but cannot afford it.
Its great and very forward thinking that a model 3 even without autopilot has a HW3 computer and a lot of sensors, but it might be one reason why they still cannot match the ID4 on cost.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who normally spends £25k on a car and is stretching massively to hit the £40k ID4. They are not going to pay extra for AP/FSD, especially if they only do short city driving to take the kids to school.
Tesla’s software and AP (along with frequent and substantial updates) is included in the price of the base model. Is that not the case in the UK?

I have FSD (because I’m curious about its developments and some day it might really be a game changer but an extremely expensive one so I got in cheap) but the vast majority of the time I never use the FSD features. I’m not sure where driver initiated lane changes falls - if it’s FSD than it’s the one FSD feature I use a lot, but I think it’s included in basic AP.

What I do know is that I’d never get another vehicle without the features included in basic AP.

Last night I ordered a new Model S Plaid. Delivery in November so a part of Q4 results. Today for me this is more interesting than the share price. 😊
My current Model X lease ends in September, it's extremely tempting to update it...

Depends how much money I make with calls as I also ordered a Model Y for my wife when GF4 begins production, but I can only have one car on my company at any moment

Will see, but it's beginning to gnaw in my mind :eek:

China news def having affect on the stock and recovery. Every Chinese EV stock is now green. Tsla is still struggling.

Bond rates falling after the initial rally. This is the silver lining today.

Rather, the consequential silver lining is that the Chinese aren't being more reactive. It seems like an eminently reasonable measure for them to take.

That said, it could have unnecessary negative consequences for the Chinese. The real game is that the Chinese want the keys to the AI kingdom. In light of that, perhaps the better path for them would have been to ringfence Chinese data to China.

Solar owners, especially those in California. If you can stop watching TSLA for just a moment at take a quick look at thread, we need your help!

Given the massive leap in VWs share price, and the drop in teslas, I just did some instant research as a UK customer, aiming to spend around £40k. Looking at the Volkswagen ID4 vs the tesla model 3.

The ID4 only has 1 trim option, and is £3k cheaper, but...

1. ID4 0-60 in 8.5 seconds versus 5.3 seconds
  2. Range 309 vs 284 (if i'm reading it right so..a bit better).
  3. top speed 100mph vs 140
  4. Charging network: none versus supercharger network
  5. Luggage 543l versus 414l, so better.
  6. 12" touchscreen versus 15" touchscreen.

I don't think there is much choice, the model 3 wins flat out IMHO, but I can see how some people would think thus:
  • VW is a known, reliable brand
  • Higher range is always good
  • Every euro/pound/dollar counts, so why spend more?
  • More luggage space is good.

So I can see VW doing well if they can market/target the car with great skill. Here is how I think tesla need to fight back:

• REALLY hammer home the convenience of the supercharger network, and how the navigation is built in, and the chargers are so easy to spot and use. It should be front and center on the tesla pages for every car.
  • Absolutely stop caring about speed. Sure, plaid+ is a great halo car for testosterone fueled sports car lovers. Not so much for joe/jane who just wants to commute to the office. teslas reputation for fast cars is established now.
  • Hammer-home how safe the cars are.

In short, make sure people know teslas are safe, convenient and a breeze to use.

Tesla, thanks to the roadster, the model S, elon being elon, and youtube videos have already locked down the 'teslas are super-fast high tech awesome gadgets'. Thats great, but volkswagen doesn't sell to that market anyway. VW is selling to housewives and schoolteachers, and people who see a car as a tool, not as a toy.

Elon is tony stark, and his fans love him, but he needs to be aware that to sell >1million cars a year you cant sell just to gadget lovers and speed-freaks. Luggage space and convenience and safety are a bigger draw. Otherwise we will continue to see cars like the ID3 and ID4 as technically inferior, but still watch people buy them.
The theory that Elon is stupid has been debunked over and over. Give it up. You're sounding similar to all the perpetual geniuses who blather how if only Apple would go down market they would be finally able to sell more iPhones.

~~~Once again, a massive number of posts are gone. THIS TIME, it is possible that some perfectly* innocent ones got caught up in the whirlwind - this new platform is rather twitchy.

===>There is a world of subjects around the rest of this TMC. The activities of a distressingly large number of you suggest that many are unaware of that. The actions of even more are demonstrative of people who cannot be held accountable for their own actions, but jump whenever a puppetmaster pulls a provocative, Off Topic post and then watches you fall for responding to him or her. The term for such people is not a nice one. <====

*but then again, nobody’s perfect

Far more innocently, topic of BEER now is done. No more. This is not a chat room.~~~