Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon mentioned that they're going to start doing 2 shifts again because of the strong demand. So by Q3, we could see them up to 25k/quarter again
"2 shifts" means nothing. Production was halted and optimized for 3 months. I expect much increased productivity. The S and X line was very old compared to the other lines, this should have changed now.

Tesla beat and crazy positive jobs report will make Monday very interesting indeed.
Good review here:

Tesla reports 180,338 vehicles produced, 184,800 delivered in first quarter of 2021

(from Lora of all people)
Yeah, but she couldn't help herself and had to add this totally irrelevant, snide couple of paragraphs at the end:

Fans and critics will both be watching to see whether new battery electric vehicles hitting the market will begin to erode Tesla’s lead in the category, or take away more from sales of internal combustion engine and hybrid vehicles. Startups and big automakers alike are introducing more EV models than ever before.

On March 29, Jeffries reduced its price target for Tesla from $775 to $700, with analyst Philippe Houchois writing in a note:

“Legacy-free 30-50% net growth and 2-digit margin potential still support high multiples but Tesla is no longer unique as an EV play with preferred access to capital. Some of the edge started to erode, but only slowly and Tesla still leads on multiple fronts, from software to design-to-manufacture, speed of execution and direct selling.”

"2 shifts" means nothing. Production was halted and optimized for 3 months. I expect much increased productivity. The S and X line was very old compared to the other lines, this should have changed now.

That is all good, but nothing they do at Fremont will increase the battery supply from Panasonic. They increased the reported production capacity from 90k/year to 100k/year in the Q4 report, and the best we can tell that is because they reduced the size of the battery pack so that they could make more vehicles. (Remember that they had to reduce capacity when they dropped the Standard Range models, as they can make fewer cars with the larger packs.)

Once they start making the Plaid+, which will have 4680 cells, that should increase capacity a bit.

Do we have any confirmation on the capacity of the new S&X line? Everyone expects 100k per year, but why? i would expect much more demand for the new SnX. I would not be surprised if they go for 200k to 300k.
We don't know yet.

Will be interesting if Sandy Munro could pick a refreshed S apart to check for improvements in manufacturing technique. That could give us some idea. But as of right now we have no idea how much the new S/X design is designed for easy manufacture. (It'll definitely be easIER than the previous S/X , or else all Elons comments regarding the machine that builds the machine would be untrue. They must have improved on the production method greatly.)

As for the numbers, yay. But careful with the "TSLA 2 da moon"-expectations. We know these numbers are a confirmation that 1M vehicles in 2021 is very doable, but the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. Could be a very lukewarm reaction on the SP. Any macro declines could pull us down or break-even for the coming days/weeks.

However, after the Q1 '21 ER we should see a pop if there hasn't been one by then. But not convinced we're going to see ATH soon. Would hope to be wrong of course.

GLTA and enjoy your weekend. (or Easter if you're celebrating it. I'm an atheist but I do love following my toddlers around the garden looking for chocolate eggs I've re-hidden for the third time that day 🙂)

Yeah, but she couldn't help herself and had to add this totally irrelevant, snide couple of paragraphs at the end:

Fans and critics will both be watching to see whether new battery electric vehicles hitting the market will begin to erode Tesla’s lead in the category, or take away more from sales of internal combustion engine and hybrid vehicles. Startups and big automakers alike are introducing more EV models than ever before.

On March 29, Jeffries reduced its price target for Tesla from $775 to $700, with analyst Philippe Houchois writing in a note:

“Legacy-free 30-50% net growth and 2-digit margin potential still support high multiples but Tesla is no longer unique as an EV play with preferred access to capital. Some of the edge started to erode, but only slowly and Tesla still leads on multiple fronts, from software to design-to-manufacture, speed of execution and direct selling.”
Lora is like that one relative 'negative nancy' that everyone has in their family.....

"Hey, we just got a Tesla Model S"
NN: "Don't they catch on fire?"
"It's got FSD"
NN: "Doesn't it kill people and cause accidents by itself"
"Come an check out the car at least"
NN: "Oh...you got the base model and not the Plaid"

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Lora is like that one relative 'negative nancy' that everyone has in their family.....

"Hey, we just got a Tesla Model S"
NN: "Don't they catch on fire?"
"It's got FSD"
NN: "Doesn't it kill people and cause accidents by itself"
"Come an check out the car at least"
NN: "Oh...you got the base model and not the Plaid"

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

You mean Debbie Downer.

1617377589264.png

... I'm an atheist but I do love following my toddlers around the garden looking for chocolate eggs I've re-hidden for the third time that day 🙂)
Happy hiding! That said, I don't think chocolate eggs have ever been part of any religion. According to sources familiar with the matter it's more like a Farther, Son and Holy Spirit thing - so you are home safe! ;-)

TSLA to the mooooooooooon :)

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
So that was considerably better than I had prepared myself for. Now I’m not sure where to calibrate my expectations for the rest of the year and not get ahead of the curve.

Historically Tesla gets stronger as the year progresses. That should be a repeat given industry trends but also as Berlin and Texas (not necessarily in that order) come online.

How much better can GigaShanghai get?? Holy throw down the gauntlet and showoff to the world.

I’m going to temper my expectations by assuming German anal retentive perfectionism has Berlin ramp slower than temporary permit allocation and American discombobulation wrecks havoc on Texas ramp and say nothing of significance comes out of either locale this year. Even with that, how does Tesla not seriously flirt with 1M deliveries this year?!

Spring is running out of time, but Mom may still have gotten this right after all. 🤷‍♂️

Lora didn't say a single positive thing. She didn't say that they beat the estimates or even that they had a good quarter. Over the years she's probably written a hundred Tesla articles and not a single one has been positive. CNBC is fine with this.

So that was considerably better than I had prepared myself for. Now I’m not sure where to calibrate my expectations for the rest of the year and not get ahead of the curve.

Historically Tesla gets stronger as the year progresses. That should be a repeat given industry trends but also as Berlin and Texas (not necessarily in that order) come online.

How much better can GigaShanghai get?? Holy throw down the gauntlet and showoff to the world.

I’m going to temper my expectations by assuming German anal retentive perfectionism has Berlin ramp slower than temporary permit allocation and American discombobulation wrecks havoc on Texas ramp and say nothing of significance comes out of either locale this year. Even with that, how does Tesla not seriously flirt with 1M deliveries this year?!

Spring is running out of time, but Mom may still have gotten this right after all. 🤷‍♂️

Mom was right, just couldn’t account for Wall St. douchery.

Can someone please post Gordo's twitter post if he posts? A lot of us, including myself have been blocked for no apparent reason :)
The only reason you're unable to see the feed is because you're logged into twitter. Just open the link in a private window (ie: Firefox) and it'll display normally so you can read it.

But Why?! :p