Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes that's true. Plenty of companies regularly report their earnings on Mondays. Key word is they report their earnings on a Monday on a "regular" basis.

Tesla clearly deviated from their regular middle of the week earnings for this one by moving it up to a Monday. By far the highest percentage of days of the week they report on is Wednesday. They've never moved earnings up to a Monday. That to me, is an irregularity that is material.

Sure it could be nothing. But I see no reason for them to change course on doing their earnings on Wed the 28th like they regularly do unless they're confident. Could be the liked the numbers. Could be that they have something to disclose or share. Could be they're releasing V9 on that date. Could be nothing. Who knows. But the point still stands that they purposely changed their normal earnings routine....which if you're doing an strategy of planning to buy on a earnings dip, seems material.
Or Elon had a Wednesday conflict, or... Plenty of possible reasons that have no top-secret positive surprise implications.

Tesla clearly deviated from their regular middle of the week earnings for this one by moving it up to a Monday. By far the highest percentage of days of the week they report on is Wednesday. They've never moved earnings up to a Monday. That to me, is an irregularity that is material.

I actually see this as delaying until Monday, not moving it up. They have been moving towards reporting on the third Wednesday which would have been the 21st. (So they delayed this one by 3 business days.)

After months of radio silence on my MX Plaid order, there’s all sorts of activity this week and promises of “getting assigned one of the first ones”. Still no VINs, but obviously the crew is being told to prep for S/X deliveries.

Oh, and the stonk seems to be doing ok this week, too. Making me roll lots of short calls out.

My first breakout target was $780, which was all but met today, but it looks like clear sailing up to $850. I’m thinking that‘s where it might be at earnings. Or at least I hope it is.

Austin is no comparison to Sparks regarding employment options. But if Tesla needs 10k workers (as Elon mentioned on a recent tweet) for the current phase of Austin construction I wonder if by the time he has starlink, neuralink, boring co, and a couple more phases of Giga done whether Austin will see the same labour shortages.

If I remember my Uni textbooks correctly, secondary employment effects from factory openings is ~5x the number of direct hires - summing that up could lead to a couple of hundred thousand directly or indirectly employed by Musk industries. In a city of ~2m (Greater Austin) it would still tighten labour supply quite a bit.

It points to a gigantic boom in Austin over the next decade.
Austin is 76 minutes from San Antonio. San Antonio has a population of 1.5 million and a higher unemployment rate than Austin.

Last edited:
Yes that's true. Plenty of companies regularly report their earnings on Mondays. Key word is they report their earnings on a Monday on a "regular" basis.

Sure it could be nothing. But I see no reason for them to change course on doing their earnings on Wed the 28th like they regularly do unless they're confident. Could be the liked the numbers. Could be that they have something to disclose or share. Could be they're releasing V9 on that date. Could be nothing. Who knows. But the point still stands that they purposely changed their normal earnings routine....which if you're doing an strategy of planning to buy on a earnings dip, seems material.
Let’s think about this for a second. If the move to Monday constitutes a positive signal by Tesla, wouldn’t a different move in the future be interpreted to be a negative signal? And wouldn’t Tesla know that people could interpret these signals in this manner and thus be setting itself up for a big selloffs in the future whether or not these are accurate signals? Thus, wouldn’t the wise thing to do would be for Tesla not to send any signals in this way? For the game theorists/poker players out there, the optimal strategy is to mix or balance one’s actions so as to prevent people from reading your hand. Tesla can be criticized for many things but one thing they’ve always been good at has been keeping their financial numbers secret until the earnings call. I don’t see any reason this would change.

There are way too many amateurish lines of thinking on this forum.

Let’s think about this for a second. If the move to Monday constitutes a positive signal by Tesla, wouldn’t a different move in the future be interpreted to be a negative signal? And wouldn’t Tesla know that people could interpret these signals in this manner and thus be setting itself up for a big selloffs in the future whether or not these are accurate signals? Thus, wouldn’t the wise thing to do would be for Tesla not to send any signals in this way? For the game theorists/poker players out there, the optimal strategy is to mix or balance one’s actions so as to prevent people from reading your hand. Tesla can be criticized for many things but one thing they’ve always been good at has been keeping their financial numbers secret until the earnings call. I don’t see any reason this would change.

Lol you realize what you said is demonstrably false right?

"Tesla can be criticized for many things but one thing they’ve always been good at has been keeping their financial numbers secret until the earnings call. I don’t see any reason this would change."

Q3 2019 earnings. They pushed up the earnings a week early so that instead of the normal 3 week gap between P/D and earnings, it was only 2. They broke their normal routine of earnings. Everyone and their mom was expecting blowout earnings because of them moving it up. And guess what happened? They had blockbuster earnings.

"If the move to Monday constitutes a positive signal by Tesla, wouldn’t a different move in the future be interpreted to be a negative signal?"

Can't understand the logic here. Next quarter, they'll probably go back to doing their earnings on the Wed, 3 weeks after P/D numbers. Absolutely no one will view that as a negative. AGAIN, it's Tesla that's breaking their normal routine. They could have EASILY kept their earnings on the normal schedule and put earnings on Wed the 28th.

And as I said before, who's knows about why those chose Monday but I would assume they have a reason for putting on that Monday.....when they've never done that before. If earnings were business as usual or Tesla did NOT want anyone getting curious about the timing of their earnings, they would have simply done earnings on the Wed, the 28th, like they always do.

Last edited:

We would eat you alive at the poker table.

I actually see this as delaying until Monday, not moving it up. They have been moving towards reporting on the third Wednesday which would have been the 21st. (So they delayed this one by 3 business days.)

Just last quarter they did earnings on the 27th of Jan, the last week of the month. And just for reference.....every earnings date was on a Wednesday in 2020 including the Q4 2020 earnings on Wed, Jan 27th. Q1 2020 earnings were on Wed, April 29th.

• Informative
Reactions: mickificki
GME was and likely remains a dying retail videogame store franchise that went vertical because there were no shares to be bought and hedge funds were short by 2-5x the available float. Tesla has gone from $17 to $3,810 because it's going to be integral in nearly all vital aspects of human existence in 2032. Coinbase is a brokerage for buying, storing and trading cryptocurrencies. I'm not sure I could imagine three things you would less want to compare to each other.

In answer to your question, I think the hedge funds will encourage a skyrocketing it to a $150B valuation and then short it.

Who ever created the narrative this is a "watershed moment" is both a genius and a fool. It's just a brokerage platform. There's gonna be more and more and more and more.
I got busted... how do I ask people’s input on Coinbase without getting booted off topic? Compare apples to oranges to crack.... thank you for shooting that arrow through row of axe handles for me.... if I can snatch some shares up before it bursts out, I shall plan to jump off that train at 150billion market cap!

I wouldn't read too much into moving the earnings call to Monday. There could be a lot of reasons. Ford earnings come out Wednesday after market close with the earnings call following (5pm EST) if I recall. So it could be to accommodate auto analysts who cover both companies. I'm not going to bother to check if Ford moved their date because I don't think you can read a lot into those kind of things.

Now Elon's tweet "Going to Moon" is a potential reason to be bullish! ;)

What I'm most impressed by is that TSLA now has a market cap north of $600 billion and yet it's this easily manipulated. The amount of wealth and power required to manipulate an S&P 500 component with that kind of market cap exists and we saw it deployed almost effortlessly to contain the SP last week until those with wealth and power were properly positioned and ready to let it rise. The whole stock market is nothing more than a shell game played by the wealthy and powerful to engineer more wealth and power for themselves.

I think the 5x will not apply to Tesla as it in-sources more than average. But those new employees will have a ripple affect. Austin will do well. ....

Houses have already started exploding, my house is up over 20%, in the last month, and theirs a massive shortfall of houses on the market here already. Soon Austin might not be cheap for Californians

It is pretty amazing. My folks bought new construction near Austin in December. Still under build, but already up over 15%.....and we are in SoCal. :)

Maybe, but would ANY other automotive CEO answer even a person with a huge Twitter following with a personal response? I strongly doubt it.
Wasn't there some exec from Ford promising to refund dealer-scalping on the M-E?

Don't think it was the CEO though, this guy is their CEO and I don't think he's got the hang of Twitter yet...