Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm a bit confused on the SpaceX/moon lander news. According to the NASA release, it will launch with the SLS with the astronauts in the Orion spacecraft... but the moon landing will be handled by Starship? It this thing going to launch with both an Orion and a Starship? Is that sensible? Is there some good reason I'm not seeing to keep two astronauts in orbit instead of just having the astronauts in Starship to begin with and have it land them all on the moon?
No kidding.

I guess Starship will fly past the SLS and just wait for them to get there to transfer:)

Your 0.77 CAD/USD middle is lower than my middle. Agree past does not represent future, although from 17 year history, it appears the CAD is trending higher to be in the 0.85 CAD/USD range.

View attachment 654386
I was commenting on the original graph you posted which only contained the 2017-present. You are reading far more into what I wrote than was originally intended. Sorry if I offended you.

Reactions: Words of HABIT
You can't make this sugar up. The 10 best EVs (it's not like there are so many) and guess what famous EV company isn't on the list?
Ha ha.
Autotrader's 10 Best Electric Cars for 2021 include:
- Volvo XC60 Recharge plug-in hybrid with 19 miles electric range.
- Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring plug-in hybrid with a 21 miles electric range.
- Toyota RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid with 42 miles electric range.

No, If this is the list, Tesla does NOT belong on it. Tesla most definitely deserves to be on another list.

Was able to grab a couple $800c's for next Friday near the bottom today thankfully.l
That would be around noon time for $4.20 . Already $5.30 so up > 25%. Good luck next week.

Source: Yahoo Finance - TSLA210423C00800000 (TSLA210423C00800000) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance
(too bad the daily chart disappears from Yahoo at midnight every night)

Screenshot 2021-04-16 at 6.39.53 PM.png

Ha ha.
Autotrader's 10 Best Electric Cars for 2021 include:
- Volvo XC60 Recharge plug-in hybrid with 19 miles electric range.
- Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring plug-in hybrid with a 21 miles electric range.
- Toyota RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid with 42 miles electric range.

No, If this is the list, Tesla does NOT belong on it. Tesla most definitely deserves to be on another list.

Maybe "The 10 best EV's without a tail pipe that are made in the USA and can make fart sounds"?

So I'm a bit confused on the SpaceX/moon lander news. According to the NASA release, it will launch with the SLS with the astronauts in the Orion spacecraft... but the moon landing will be handled by Starship? It this thing going to launch with both an Orion and a Starship? Is that sensible? Is there some good reason I'm not seeing to keep two astronauts in orbit instead of just having the astronauts in Starship to begin with and have it land them all on the moon?
An I the only one that thinks that with SpaceX ready and a year or more of delays with the Orion spacecraft, they work out a deal with SpaceX to do that part of the mission too?

Was it to try to make something seem like something it was not?

No- that would've been your pointlessly negative reply to my accurate post for seemingly no reason but to argue.

Same thing you were doing with the currency point someone else made, digging around in hopes to find a nit to pick.

Do you pride yourself on using technicalities to create a false impression?

No, that'd be your original reply pretending there's no difference between a short trading week ending in a holiday to a normal full week.

First green friday in a couple months- maybe try being happy instead of picking a fight?

Last edited:
You can't make this sugar up. The 10 best EVs (it's not like there are so many) and guess what famous EV company isn't on the list?

It's more than that even. It's a turning point for the United States (I really wanted to say America but I appreciate the feelings of our N and S American neighbors). Returning to the moon via a new public/private partnership is amazing. This country only works when we have a common enemy, or a common aspirational goal. You decide which one of those "The Moon" is.
Ha that is a pretty "informative" site there...yep full of ....something for sure.
Curt nailed it though...pay to play and feed all visitors info to the dealers....smarmy bastages

No- that would've been your pointlessly negative reply to my accurate post for seemingly no reason but to argue.

Same thing you were doing with the currency point someone else made, digging around in hopes to find a nit to pick.

No, that'd be your original reply pretending there's no difference between a short trading week ending in a holiday to a normal full week.

First green friday since January- maybe try being happy instead of picking a fight?

FSD doesn't even work.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL and Skryll
They started out in a hole today, but in the second quarter they rallied to finish the first half with a comfortable lead. The lead got whittled down and some last second heroics were needed to eek out a narrow win for their 4th win of the week. Today's win gives Team Tesla their highest season winning percentage (0.514) since March 2. it was also the second closest game of the season.

Today
Score: 739.78
Margin of W/L: 0.93
Attendance: 27,960,968
High - Low: 24.81

Season
Record: 37-35
Total margin of wins: 872.40
Total margin of losses: -838.29
YTD gain/loss: 34.11 4.83%
Best Win: 110.58 Mar 9
Worst Loss: -68.83 Jan 11
Last 10: 7-3
Streak: W1
Avg margin of victory: 23.58
Avg margin of defeat: -23.95
Avg Attendance: 39,644,883
Avg Attendance of Last 10: 33,208,515
Avg High - Low: 42.25
Avg H - L of Last 10: 26.66

Starship doesn’t have enough performance to take the crew from earth orbit to the surface of the moon then back to earth again. (Remember, in the Mars scenario, Starship has to refuel on Mars to get back to earth. Hard to make methane on the moon).

The SpaceX scenario is to get the Lunar Starship to high lunar orbit by launching it to earth orbit where it is refueled by up to eight more tanker “Starships”. The crew is delivered to high lunar orbit on SLS/Orion. There they transfer to the Lunar Starship which lands on the moon and returns them to Orion. Starship's job is done at that point and it’s (probably) expended. Crew returns to earth in Orion.

I actually suspect that the whole Lunar Starship doesn't lift off from the moon, but rather an upper stage (the lunar variant may be a modified two-stage expendable “Starship”). Also, by not returning all the way to earth, that propellant, the weight of the reentry system and landing propellant can be avoided. That’s what allows it to work without refueling on the moon.

Does anyone know where the original Sandy Munro presentation video that Solving the Money Problem references in this youtube clip is from?

Here it is

1618617592121.png

SAE Detroit - Exclusive Q&A with Sandy Munro Streamed live on Aug 19, 2020

Steven Mark Ryan's YT video does a pretty good job of extracting key points of that long and sometimes rambling 2 hr episode.

1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret: once asked how much the SP would go to when at the time it was at 400, he said 1,500 .. he actually invested when @ 1,000 and says " ...anybody who doesn't invest in Tesla lives in La La Land .. ""

Even @ 1.5x speedup I didn't have the patience to go through the whole video, props to Steven Mark for this selections.

Ivan Lipkov's key time links by subject as listed here may be useful - sort comments chronologically to find these links

Ivan Lipkov
3 months ago (edited)
Something from the inside:
28:44 - Start of stream
30:13 - Importance of lightweighting for improving range of EVs
32:29 - Is there a trend of using composites in a production (10k vs 100k)
35:03 - Material cost reduction by using carryover parts or reusing parts from other platforms
36:43 - Post-COVID changes In design for manufacturing vehicle and plants layout
38:27 - How Youtube channel was started + challenges
41:29 - Why did you decide to create your own business?
42:46 - Which automobile manufacturer utilizes the Lean design the most?
44:28 - About OEM robust design
46:47 - The most rewarding product of Munro (Boeing 787)
49:26 - Price for some Munro services
50:10 - Have you ever compared your cost reduction analysis with an actual OEM? How accurate is it?
52:10 - How much profit does an OEM typically make on each vehicle?
54:31 - Plastic injection molding impact on a vehicle design during time
56:19 - Is Tesla really years ahead of other companies with their electronics?
57:18 - Why does Tesla lie?
58:10 - What % of vehicle cost is driven by materials and how much is for manufacturing?
1:00:20 - Munro recommendations in new Tesla design
1:03:10 - What's the 18-yo problem that Munro solved in 4 months?
1:05:47 - Jeep Wrangler vs Ford Bronco comparison?
1:06:27 - Towing capacity of Tesla Cyber Truck
1:07:43 - Mega casting part question
1:09:10 - Mega casting part explanation
1:11:03 - Model Y & rust
1:12:14 - What killed the British car companies
1:12:25 - Heat pump Model Y
1:13:52 - Complains about Tesla Y in winter time
1:15:07 - What's gonna happen to all the ancillary business around Detroit when electric car come?
1:16:35 - What % of car manufacturing is done by robots currently?
1:18:50 - Innovations in robots
1:20:00 - Are technical schools in Detroit doing a good job of preparing students?
1:21:08 - About Elon Musk hiring
1:23:43 - What's going to happen to all of the corner gas stations?
1:26:30 - What's the future for an auto mechanic?
1:27:20 - About Tesla & competitors
1:29:35 - Will Tesla get to a small aircraft?
1:31:19 - How long before one certain manufacturer makes a hole unibody monocoque design in one casting?
1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret
1:35:05 - Tesla's quality (Fremont vs Shanghai vs Berlin)
1:37:39 - About the hemp
1:39:07 - What's the weirdest thing you've ever found during a teardown?
1:41:30 - About an electric plane
1:42:30 - About the recycling
1:44:57 - Are you a proponent of tier 1 suppliers making core components? One size fits all
1:48:20 - Cyber truck vs Model Y
1:49:35 - Can Tesla make a 25k euro car in the future for Europe?
1:51:55 - Will VW be able to make as many EVs as they promised?
1:53:18 - What kind of savings could a frame casting machine save?
1:54:09 - What's the most impressive innovation use in Model Y?
1:55:33 - Will plug-in hybrids have a future?
1:57:00 - End of questions

2:03:00 - "Easter egg"

Here it is

View attachment 654418

SAE Detroit - Exclusive Q&A with Sandy Munro Streamed live on Aug 19, 2020

Steven Mark Ryan's YT video does a pretty good job of extracting key points of that long and sometimes rambling 2 hr episode.

1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret: once asked how much the SP would go to when at the time it was at 400, he said 1,500 .. he actually invested when @ 1,000 and says " ...anybody who doesn't invest in Tesla lives in La La Land .. ""

Even @ 1.5x speedup I didn't have the patience to go through the whole video, props to Steven Mark for this selections.

Ivan Lipkov's key time links by subject as listed here may be useful - sort comments chronologically to find these links

Ivan Lipkov
3 months ago (edited)
Something from the inside:
28:44 - Start of stream
30:13 - Importance of lightweighting for improving range of EVs
32:29 - Is there a trend of using composites in a production (10k vs 100k)
35:03 - Material cost reduction by using carryover parts or reusing parts from other platforms
36:43 - Post-COVID changes In design for manufacturing vehicle and plants layout
38:27 - How Youtube channel was started + challenges
41:29 - Why did you decide to create your own business?
42:46 - Which automobile manufacturer utilizes the Lean design the most?
44:28 - About OEM robust design
46:47 - The most rewarding product of Munro (Boeing 787)
49:26 - Price for some Munro services
50:10 - Have you ever compared your cost reduction analysis with an actual OEM? How accurate is it?
52:10 - How much profit does an OEM typically make on each vehicle?
54:31 - Plastic injection molding impact on a vehicle design during time
56:19 - Is Tesla really years ahead of other companies with their electronics?
57:18 - Why does Tesla lie?
58:10 - What % of vehicle cost is driven by materials and how much is for manufacturing?
1:00:20 - Munro recommendations in new Tesla design
1:03:10 - What's the 18-yo problem that Munro solved in 4 months?
1:05:47 - Jeep Wrangler vs Ford Bronco comparison?
1:06:27 - Towing capacity of Tesla Cyber Truck
1:07:43 - Mega casting part question
1:09:10 - Mega casting part explanation
1:11:03 - Model Y & rust
1:12:14 - What killed the British car companies
1:12:25 - Heat pump Model Y
1:13:52 - Complains about Tesla Y in winter time
1:15:07 - What's gonna happen to all the ancillary business around Detroit when electric car come?
1:16:35 - What % of car manufacturing is done by robots currently?
1:18:50 - Innovations in robots
1:20:00 - Are technical schools in Detroit doing a good job of preparing students?
1:21:08 - About Elon Musk hiring
1:23:43 - What's going to happen to all of the corner gas stations?
1:26:30 - What's the future for an auto mechanic?
1:27:20 - About Tesla & competitors
1:29:35 - Will Tesla get to a small aircraft?
1:31:19 - How long before one certain manufacturer makes a hole unibody monocoque design in one casting?
1:33:40 - Munro tells a secret
1:35:05 - Tesla's quality (Fremont vs Shanghai vs Berlin)
1:37:39 - About the hemp
1:39:07 - What's the weirdest thing you've ever found during a teardown?
1:41:30 - About an electric plane
1:42:30 - About the recycling
1:44:57 - Are you a proponent of tier 1 suppliers making core components? One size fits all
1:48:20 - Cyber truck vs Model Y
1:49:35 - Can Tesla make a 25k euro car in the future for Europe?
1:51:55 - Will VW be able to make as many EVs as they promised?
1:53:18 - What kind of savings could a frame casting machine save?
1:54:09 - What's the most impressive innovation use in Model Y?
1:55:33 - Will plug-in hybrids have a future?
1:57:00 - End of questions

2:03:00 - "Easter egg"

Wow! Thank you for the comprehensive response! Will watch the video when I have 2 hours to burn.