Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The more the press folks are hopping around like five year olds about to wet themselves the less worrisome they are.

So, no.
Yup press gets eye balls if there's volatility. Their ratings spike on days that are extremely red or green, and would love to do whatever they can to push one way or the other. When stocks move 0.25%/day up or down for months, no one is watching CNBC because that's like watching paint dry.

Reactions: FireMedic
Fuddy duddys can’t possibly hold us down with this speculative BS headed into ER.

ER supposedly begins at 5:30PM EST so seamingly 30 mins after market close.
5 Trading days to go.

They usually release the numbers before the ER begins, correct? If so what time historically do numbers hit the street?

I’m hoping at least 1 Hr prior to close we see the numbers hit main stream media.
Market closes at 4 pm ET, financials are normally posted a half-hour after close, so typically a lot of action AH... one way or the other...

If they bring the SP down for the day going into earnings with macros behaving based on this crash I will be slightly surprised.

There is no indication of anything wrong with the car outside of user stupidity. If the occupants did manage to engage the AP with no one in the driver seat they had gone mad. They behaved like clueless, impulsive teenagers, recklessly endangering themselves and everyone around them.

Algos do not care in the end and respond to the headlines carried across the entire spectrum of the mainstream media. This should be very temporary.

But boy have I been wrong lately....
Surprised at lack of real rally going in EOD. The FUD here is pretty obvious and reasonable people know that this will not affect the company going forward. Really thought ending flat or close to it was probable. Did go down pretty far though...

Guess too many people have played this game before and know there is no hurry.

Just buy it on the day when the stock goes up 100 points!

Didn't get the 12 dollars on my sold put. It stalled at 12.75.

Eh, just means I will make more money tomorrow.

Just wrote the biggest check I've ever sent to the IRS, ... and felt really good about doing so. 😁 I hope I can send them lots more in the years to come. (If you know what I mean, and I think that you do :cool:)

This covered tax due on a few shares moved from Rollover to Roth IRAs. I couldn't bear to sell shares to pay taxes, so, it seemed a good idea to borrow against margin instead. 😏

Quick tip for the future- You put your IRS bill on credit cards. There's a <2% fee, but you can use the spend to satsify the required spending for one (or if it's a big bill many) sign up bonuses.

You can often get rewards back approaching 20-25% of your spend, making the 1.99% fee a no brainer. (potentially even higher than 20-25% if you travel much and tend to go business or first class).

did you just not withhold enough? When I do that I let them pull it out of my checking just like a direct deposit in reverse. I haven't written a check to the IRS since the 90s.

That's bad actually.

it means every year you give the IRS an interest free loan.

Ideally you ALWAYS want to owe--- just enough to be below the underpayment penalty.

That means they gave YOU an interest free loan all year.

Anyone else getting a little nervous about stocks in general right now? TSLA will get caught up in that macro I think.

This is good for us IMO. TSLA as a destination for your chips is now much more appealing relative to a couple months ago. S&P/DOW components at all time highs while TSLA stagnates 20-25% off ATH, treasuries below 2%.....there's no better home for your money than TSLA right now. Wasn't always so obvious in the recent past.

Long term macro worries......there's simply too much cash on the sidelines AND too much stimulus coming down the pike to worry about that. Start worrying next spring.

Surprised at lack of real rally going in EOD. The FUD here is pretty obvious and reasonable people know that this will not affect the company going forward.
I don't think that's the case. I think people are picturing two old people got into the back of a Tesla and it drove them into a tree. That's the narrative, and plenty of people think it's reality.

How long to unwind that nonsense? I bought a few calls today in case it become obvious overnight. Maybe it takes til some preliminary police reporting is available.

Reactions: FireMedic
Just wrote the biggest check I've ever sent to the IRS, ... and felt really good about doing so. 😁 I hope I can send them lots more in the years to come. (If you know what I mean, and I think that you do :cool:)

This covered tax due on a few shares moved from Rollover to Roth IRAs. I couldn't bear to sell shares to pay taxes, so, it seemed a good idea to borrow against margin instead. 😏

Out of curiosity, why a month early?

did you just not withhold enough? When I do that I let them pull it out of my checking just like a direct deposit in reverse. I haven't written a check to the IRS since the 90s.

I mean I have a check book but I don't use it for anything but the local DMV where they charge extra for electronic payments.
Us lucky self employed/business owners get to pay estimated taxes 4 times a year AND get to pay self employment tax that goes to social security and medicare.

Could Toyota's announcement of the 25 BEV's being introduced by 2025 have been a major downward driver today, as well as that which will not be spoken? Honestly, that concerns me more than anything else. I'm really surprised it took TMC so long as they have been making hybrids forever and as such have extensive experience in battery driven vehicles. In fact it was a ride in a Prius that helped me make up my mind about buying TSLA stock close to the IPO! It truly blew me away, and I knew then BEV's were the future for the auto industry.

This is more of a game changer than VW, Mercedes, GM, and/or Ford IMHO. Toyota already has dealers that know how to sell them and their service departments are experienced in working on them.

Will be interesting that's for sure.

Us lucky self employed/business owners get to pay estimated taxes 4 times a year AND get to pay self employment tax that goes to social security and medicare.

ah yes, estimated taxes, I came close to having to do that one year when I sold some bitcoin but I was able to increase my withholdings in time to avoid writing a check.

I don't envy anyone that has to do estimated taxes on a regular basis, though I guess if the income is high enough I could put up with it.

This is a stupid question: Do battery fires need O2 to breathe?
LI Thermal Runaway.jpg

Could Toyota's announcement of the 25 BEV's being introduced by 2025 have been a major downward driver today, as well as that which will not be spoken? Honestly, that concerns me more than anything else.
Well for one thing it's just talk at the moment. And talk 4 years out at that.

For another.....this was literally the primary goal of the master plan, to pull the entire marketplace into EV. This is the most wildly positive Tesla development imaginable. You want to be at the top of the market for everything, not for 1% of everything.

Yeah been a rough ride for me here in NYC for the past twenty years. Am grateful for the opportunity to own my own businesses, but these cats over here refuse to acknowledge S Corps.

So I have to pay corporate income tax like I am Amazon of 9% to NYC (not really Amazon has much better accountants than me:p).

Then the amount left over goes onto my personals and gets hit again by NYC for 4%. That's right double taxation by NYC to the tune of 13%.

State wacks me for 9%.

Then the Fed comes over for 37%.

Am rounding but the cumulative is about 58% tax rate.

My opinion is that it should always max out at 50%. We can be partners, but lording over me sucks.

NYC a tough place to make new money in unless you are a real estate mogul or hedge fund trader. The tax breaks there are outrageous and endless.

And of course... they just raised the tax rates :eek:

:D I am and will be OK but, sheeesh.....

*******MODERATOR NOTIFICATION*******

Regarding the weekend's crash in Texas: For any number of reasons - the plethora of armchair forensics, the drowning-out of other discussions, but perhaps chiefly because the unpalatable and irresponsible repetition of points both known and unknown is demonstrative that far too many posters here are more concerned in spouting off than they are engaging in constructive discussion -

This subject is NOW CLOSED FOR ANY further posts until such time as either (1) Tesla, (2) the families directly involved or (3) the investigating authorities make a public statement. Absolutely no other 'sources' of any kind, regardless of their background, experience or esteem, will substitute for the three above-named.
I think most of this forum is usually armchair forensics, repetition of points, and speculation based on tid-bits of facts.
Seemingly things are moderated based on palatability of the topic to moderators, as there is little doubt this topic can have a major effect on share price.
To me it's like saying lets not discuss Q1 results until Tesla officially releases them. By that time, it's too late to act on things. It makes little sense. In the moderators own words the chief reason is to suppress peoples speech, as they do not find it constructive.

I hope Elon's response counts as (1) Tesla's public statement.......

"Your research as a private individual is better than professionals
@WSJ!
Data logs recovered so far show Autopilot was not enabled & this car did not purchase FSD. Moreover, standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on, which this street did not have."