Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are very perceptive...they have managed to walk down the price in less then a day!

we need a stock split to level the playing field.

Less than a day? How about less than 1:50 min?

TSLA.chart.2021-06-08.11-20.png

Stock splits in the form of a share dividend force MMs to cover a percentage of their naked shorts but the effect is temporary, as shown by Sep 2020 and Feb 2021 shorting.

Until there is a change in the governance of Market Makers (ie: SEC Reg. SHO), MMs will continue to abuse their place of priviledge at the expense of other market participants (mainly small investors).

Bernie Madoff may be gone, but his Rule lives on.

You have posted numerous comments about Tesla being vastly undervalued, without mentioning specific long term profit expectations and what you think a fair market cap would be right now. Care to share what you think a fair market cap right now would be for the stock?

Sure, I'll try and break it down as best as I can for what I think makes sense and in a quick way without going deep into numbers. As we've all mentioned, there are multiple potential catalysts that could drastically change the valuation so I just leave those out of what I think the stock should be valued at because it's an unknown.

The simplest way I currently look at it is a fully matured Fremont and Shanghai by Q4 of this year, with no further added capacity (so no MIC Model 2), meaning S/X fully ramped back up at Fremont and Y fully ramped up at Shanghai will result in non-GAAP earnings of about $2-2.25 share for Q4, potentially as high as $2.50. That would take Tesla's forward P/E down from about 130 right now to 55-60........which is the same as Amazon. I don't see any reason to "discount" Q4 earnings at this point because there's very little risks in terms of them achieving it. And it's almost comical to say Amazon and Tesla should have the same forward P/E considering the growth that each company has ahead of it for the next 3-5 years.

So there's essentially my benchmark. With just Fremont and Shanghai fully matured, I get an idea of the earnings power. IF there was no Berlin/Austin on the horizon or they were 3 years away from mass production, I would say Tesla is fairly valued right now.

Now I look forward into the next year and there are 2 more gigafactories that will be coming online that will reach close to maturity by end of 2022. So I know the potential earnings power of those 2 gigafactories but I also know they will both have higher output and earnings potential than the combination of Fremont/Shanghai due to manufacturing improvements and techniques(Fremont being the big drag on earnings potential out of the Fremont/Shanghai combo). Austin especially seems to be geared towards 1 million annual production capacity. So I expect their matured earnings power to be more like $3-4 a share per quarter. Now since they're still a year and a half away to 2 years from reaching maturity in production, I discount that earnings potential by 50% to account for risks.

So when I add the impact of 50% of Berlin/Austin's earning potential to Fremont/Shanghai, my current fair value for Tesla is in the realm of 900-950/share. Every quarter that goes by and Berlin/Austin get closer to operational, I discount less of Berlin/Austin's earnings potential so my current fair value will continue to increase.

This is just based on Tesla's Automotive manufacturing, current margins, operating margins, earnings, etc.....Not factoring in the impending FSD/subscription service earnings potential, Energy growth, Semi production this year or next, etc....If you add all of those other things, I think you're looking at 1,100-1,200 fair value right now. If Tesla finally does release V9 as a wide release and the subscription model, that fair value number jumps quite a bit. But that again is just spitballing because there's so many unknowns with potential catalysts and when they will happen.

Last edited:
Interesting information from the Model S Refresh Delivery Thread:

Interesting things from Android app

Model S known as "P2" in some areas "model_s_p2"

This is like the VIN decoder referring to the new motor types as P2 Dual Motor and P2 Tri Motor
Vin Decoder:

vehicle_config.car_type for the refresh is "lychee" which is some sort of tropical fruit. The original Model S is "models" and the 2016 facelift is "models2".

It is also referred to as "MS3" in some places "MS3_hero_front_body()"

from what I can tell, vehicle_config.trim_badging will be "plaid" for the plaid, and vehicle_config.has_ludicrous_mode would have been reused to denote it as a Plaid+

Code:
"_generateModelP2BadgingView", value: function (t) {
    arguments.length > 1 && void 0 !== arguments[1] && arguments[1];
    if (null == t.trimBadging) return null;
    var n = t.trimBadging.toLowerCase(), l = "Long Range";
    return t.hasLudicrousMode ? l = 'Plaid+' : 'p' === n.charAt(0) && (l = 'Plaid'), h.createElement(y.Text, {style: B.infoText}, l)
  }

The Tempest wheels seem to be different based on what type of Model S it is

Code:
case b.SXWheelTypes.TEMPEST_SONIC_SILVER_19_INCH:
      t = _.vehicleType === b.VehicleTypeStates.MODEL_S_P2 ? O.MS3_hero_reverse_wheels_Tempest19() : O.MS_hero_reverse_wheels_Tempest19SonicSilver();

Thanks for posting this and the link to the VIN Decoder. That is awesome! This answers some questions. I've captured a couple of VINs from the flyovers - they're the QR codes in the upper driver's side windows.

Based upon the 8th digit in the decoder (5=LR, 6=Plaid), we can tell that they are both MS LR. I'd like to see if we can capture any additional VINs from the flyovers, but for the sampling of 2, we can see that neither are Plaid.

These pictures all lacked spoilers and some have assumed they would be added later. But this may in fact mean that these lots really are filled with LRs. Here are the VINs I captured:
  • 5YJSA1E52MF429342 (from a few weeks ago)
  • 5YSJA1E5XMF430481 (from the most recent flyover posted in the past 12 hours by Gabe)

3.5 million would be 2 years out though right? Or do you think earlier?

All of the ICE cars will be staying away from the track for a while.
Well about a year from now the 3.5 million will be obvious to everyone, but yes, it should take about two years to ramp everything up. Battery supply needs to ramp as well.

You have posted numerous comments about Tesla being vastly undervalued, without mentioning specific long term profit expectations and what you think a fair market cap would be right now. Care to share what you think a fair market cap right now would be for the stock?
Napkin math for 2022
1.5m deliveries
50k ASP
$75B revenue
25% gross margin exc. reg credit
$18.75B gross profit
$6B operating expenses
$12.75B income before taxes
25% corporate tax
$9.5B net income
$9 EPS
Assuming we are still at 600 by year end, PE will be 67. That's dirt cheap for a company that is still growing 40-50% a year with huge potentials.
Ignored SBC and interest expenses because at some point they just don't matter anymore. SBC gets backed out from GAAP net income anyway.

Just had a thought on all the $BTC boomers or $TSLAQ defectors that went and cancelled their cybertruck orders due to their newly discovered 'hate' for Elon.....Wouldn't they have been better off selling their reservation or simply just taking delivery and selling it at a profit if they were one of the 'early' birds? Figure they could have made at least a minimum of $3-$5k if they got in early enough, instead of just cancelling.

Just had a thought on all the $BTC boomers or $TSLAQ defectors that went and cancelled their cybertruck orders due to their newly discovered 'hate' for Elon.....Wouldn't they have been better off selling their reservation or simply just taking delivery and selling it at a profit if they were one of the 'early' birds? Figure they could have made at least a minimum of $3-$5k if they got in early enough, instead of just cancelling.
Wouldn't these people be better off not put their money into a currency that moves +- 10% based on some guy's tweet of an emoji?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I think solely relying on forward PE can be misleading, but I'd say right now, arguably Tesla currently should be 200x 2021 projected EPS,125x 2022, and 50x 2023. If the current growth pattern holds, execution is on track (which I think is a legit question with the S/X issues), and as the company matures. So at $5, $9, $18 EPS projected for those years... somewhere between 900 and 1125 is fair current value per EPS IMO. If FSD (subs or in general), growth happens more quickly, energy actually starts adding to the bottom line, etc. etc could change all that. I remain on the side that the biggest question around Tesla isn't Elon's memes, demand, bitcoin, brand, etc etc... it is purely execution. If Tesla can execute and produce 1.5m vehicles in 2022 and 2.75m in 2023... this will all work itself out.

I think solely relying on forward PE can be misleading, but I'd say right now, arguably Tesla currently should be 200x 2021 projected EPS,125x 2022, and 50x 2023. If the current growth pattern holds, execution is on track (which I think is a legit question with the S/X issues), and as the company matures. So at $5, $9, $18 EPS projected for those years... somewhere between 900 and 1125 is fair current value per EPS IMO. If FSD (subs or in general), growth happens more quickly, energy actually starts adding to the bottom line, etc. etc could change all that. I remain on the side that the biggest question around Tesla isn't Elon's memes, demand, bitcoin, brand, etc etc... it is purely execution. If Tesla can execute and produce 1.5m vehicles in 2022 and 2.75m in 2023... this will all work itself out.

Q1 was such a bizarre quarter of absolutely amazing things and not so great things. We got a unique chance to see the earnings power of just the 3/Y due to no S/X (and the 2,000 S/X that were sold were heavily discounted).....and that was with Shanghai just getting started on Y production. So we can expect much better efficiencies there in Q3/Q4.

The execution and efficiency in the company to post the earnings/margins/operating margins that they did while taking a direct 200 million hit due to S/X and dealing with parts/supply issues was flat out amazing. I'd say that execution overshadows the S/X blunder