Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 2017-100D-Monroney-Sticker-CO.jpg
    2017-100D-Monroney-Sticker-CO.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 91
Wow! Jay Leno is a fantastic ambassador for electric vehicles! He just killed every answer to every question from Shepard Smith. Best of all, you could even see that Shepard is a Jay Leno fan and, dare I say it, he's looking like he might be becoming a closet EV fan, someone who is just starting to see the light! 🧐
I can’t find the reference but I’m pretty sure Shepard Smith owns a Tesla Model S. And so does Jay.

Good call on that. Just remember, the really significant race for any Tesla "fanboy" or investor is which plant can reach volume production of high quality cars soonest and most efficiently. And while Texas does appear to have a sizeable lead, that race is still up in the air.
GIven the fundamental differences between operating in Texas and Germany (flexibility, etc.), is it really that surprising that Austin would open before Berlin and achieve volume production earlier? Has any summary of the decision analysis that went into the Berlin site location been published? That must have been a fascinating process assuming there was more to it than executive intuition.

GIven the fundamental differences between operating in Texas and Germany (flexibility, etc.), is it really that surprising that Austin would open before Berlin and achieve volume production earlier? Has any summary of the decision analysis that went into the Berlin site location been published? That must have been a fascinating process assuming there was more to it than executive intuition.
In Europe Tesla will have to adjust to the trade unions. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
In Europe Tesla will have to adjust to the trade unions. It will be interesting to see how that goes.
and dirty tricks. Like the green party being historically funded by the KGB so they oppose any domestic power production leaving Germany dependent on russia. Fracking in Germany...no way, windmills...fought tooth and nail. Big solar farms that are efficient? nope... Nukes? Shut them down. They are morally bankrupt. Of course they oppose Tesla tooth and nail on anything. T

and dirty tricks. Like the green party being historically funded by the KGB so they oppose any domestic power production leaving Germany dependent on russia. Fracking in Germany...no way, windmills...fought tooth and nail. Big solar farms that are efficient? nope... Nukes? Shut them down. They are morally bankrupt. Of course they oppose Tesla tooth and nail on anything. T
My questions is not just labor and production but also logistic and sourcing. It's not just Germany but any other European country in the value stream. Each react differently. I was once told by a PM on the Channel Tunnel that in Britain labors answer to disputes was to stop work. On the other hand the French waited until the "Chunnel" was complete then fire bombed it. I don't know how true this is.

As spoken by one of the Tesla engineers starting at 11:24, motors specs:

3 identical motors
400HP rated each
470Nm approximately each

Plaid+ looked to have had the potential to be a 1200HP monster with 520mi+ range. 20% more power possible.

Tesla aims high.

Indeed. Further we now know from the 2021 Model S Users' Manual that all three Plaid final drives have a 7.5:1 ratio (BTW, the dual-motor LR has the same 7.5:1 ratio in front, but shorter ratios for the 2 rear drives).

That means Roadster could achieve 250 mph at the same motor rpm as the Plaid S if they switch to a 6:1 final drive ratio, or if Elon's "maybe a little more rpm" allows the new carbon-overwrapped rotors to spin at 25K rpm.

I hope they split the difference. Roadster is likely traction limited for max acceleration at lower-speeds (so taller final drive is fine), but I think the torque pulse difference with a 25% taller final drive would be noticable.

But I really hope the top speed is electronically limited to a GPS-geofenced race track, advanced driver's school training is required, and a signed consent form is on file. I bet you know which vlogger I'm thinking of...

Cheers!

almost feel like he doesn’t mean what he says and producers forced him to say that. He has Maurer advising him on sidelines and knows how ahead in tech tesla is. But then again, knows he can’t bite the hand that feeds him. He brings up the ford almost out of necessity in this clip.
"Crush" is relative here. Although a 'truck' it's a deferent buyer in a similar segment. Based on production numbers Tesla has room to grow (as you allude for Cramer Tesla is still a buy). Ford may be poaching it's owns customers and other manufactures of ICE pickups, and not many of Tesla's. Will Ford sell more trucks; what will the RV/ICE ratio be; what is the profit margin?

They've already said they're doing a 2nd shift because of demand, we just don't know when that second shift is starting. Since S/X share the same line and the installed capacity is a 100k/year, if they were only making the S for Q3, the theoretical maximum production for the S is 25,000 for Q3.

I still side on the Elon was talking both LR and Plaid version of the S and that they are only planning on producing the S in Q3. But the Morten tweet definitely some questions. But likely, his source is just wrong or maybe his source meant they're sending over just a handful of the new S/X for validation purposes.
Are we sure they didn't increase capacity during this downtime?

Indeed. Further we now know from the 2021 Model S Users' Manual that all three Plaid final drives have a 7.5:1 ratio (BTW, the dual-motor LR has the same 7.5:1 ratio in front, but shorter ratios for the 2 rear drives).

That means Roadster could achieve 250 mph at the same motor rpm as the Plaid S if they switch to a 6:1 final drive ratio, or if Elon's "maybe a little more rpm" allows the new carbon-overwrapped rotors to spin at 25K rpm.

I hope they split the difference. Roadster is likely traction limited for max acceleration at lower-speeds (so taller final drive is fine), but I think the torque pulse difference with a 25% taller final drive would be noticable.

But I really hope the top speed is electronically limited to a GPS-geofenced race track, advanced driver's school training is required, and a signed consent form is on file. I bet you know which vlogger I'm thinking of...

Cheers!

Ah yes, 7.5:1 ratio is important information. Let's pull out the handy calculator:

Assumption that 295/30R21 tire (actual rear tire size used on 21" Plaid taken from Manual) has about a 87.8" circumference.

Therefore, assuming no tire circumference stretch at 20,000RPM motor speed, the tires can move the Plaid at 221.7 MPH. At 200MPH tire speed, the motors will rotate at a comfortable 18,042 RPM.

Elon's comment is curious eh? So what RPM does the same motor need to achieve to go 250MPH?

22560RPM for 250MPH

So folks maybe these motors are the actual motors going in the Roadster 2. Batteries are the limiting factor. We are living in the future.

almost feel like he doesn’t mean what he says and producers forced him to say that. He has Maurer advising him on sidelines and knows how ahead in tech tesla is. But then again, knows he can’t bite the hand that feeds him. He brings up the ford almost out of necessity in this clip.
THIS!!!

His body language and words really tell he did not want to make this endorsement. I'm sure that the $$ of advertising at CNBS forced this.

I would happily pay $10k-$15k more than what I will be paying for the trimotor CT that I have coming, for a CT plaid with the plaid model S carbon motors because well; plaid carbon motors.

It’s a sickness; I know, I know.
Copied from Nafnlaus:
Carbon fibre rotors: clever solution to improve tensile strength without increasing bulk and thus reducing field strength. But will they prove durable? Frequently changing levels of tensile stress, high temperatures, etc. One assumes Tesla has been stress testing them, but....