Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone explain to me like I’m a five year old the difference between earnings and revenue?
If you buy a candy bar for 75 cents and sell it to your friend Sam for $1, your revenue was $1 and your earnings (aka profit) were $0.25.

Now let's see how you can grow earnings faster than revenue.

In month 2 you order a box of 10 candy bars online for $5 + $3 shipping and then sell them all to your friend Sam for $1 each. Your revenue is $10 and your earnings were $2 ($10-$8).

In month 3 you order 20 candy bars (2 boxes of 10 for $5 each) but shipping is still just $3 so you pay $13 total. You again sell them all to your friend Sam for $1 each. Your revenue was $20 and your earnings were $7 ($20-$13). Your revenue grew by 100% ($10-->$20) but your earnings grew by 250%! ($2-->$7). Congratulations, you have operating leverage.

In month 4 you invent a machine that compresses 400lbs of raw cacao into 5000 of the world's best candy bars every 90 seconds. You sell $30 million candy bars all over the world. Gordon Johnson calls you a busted growth story because Sam only bought 19 this month.

One step forward!

Building a green economy: Government of Canada to require 100% of car and passenger truck sales be zero-emission by 2035 in Canada​

Still brewing in California and coming to your state next. This will affect the stock price of TSLA and completely trash the likes of Sunrun and others in the solar business. I am referring to the end of net metering as we know it. And even worse, connection rates for PV systems. In my case, my 8.8 kw system connection fee will be $118/mo. This will put an end to rooftop solar. The fees for commercial buildings and school is thousands of dollars a month!

Discussion is important to any PV owner as well as anyone invested in solar stocks. Read more here: California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

PDF #1 You can click on this and do the math to see the new proposed connection fees in your area.

PDF #2 is the complete proposal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 7.07.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 7.07.34 PM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
  • PUC Solar R.20-08-020_Joint+Proposal_3.15.2021.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
I also ask what competitor will hit 100K sales of 1 vehicle in 1 year? Are any of them planning to do that in 2021? How about 2022?

VW will sell over 100k ID.4 this year.

VW might sell over 100k ID.3 this year. It almost certainly will in 2022.

Nissan plans to sell over 100k Ariya in Europe alone next year. Almost certain to do so worldwide.

Ford initially planned install capacity of 80k Lightnings per year. With reservations far exceeding expectations Ford is said to be scrabbling to add capacity. SKI is currently building a 10 GWh battery factory in Georgia to mainly supply Ford. Ford and SKI are expected to finalize a deal this Summer to construct two 30 GWh JV battery factories in the USA.

GM has almost finished building a 30 GWh in Ohio. Is about to break ground on a 2nd in Tennessee and has approved an additional two in a Joint Venture with LG. That is way more battery than Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq can consume. So an electric Silverado pickup with capacity over 100k units per year should be announced by Job1 of the Ford Lightning next Spring..

Still brewing in California and coming to your state next. This will affect the stock price of TSLA and completely trash the likes of Sunrun and others in the solar business. I am referring to the end of net metering as we know it. And even worse, connection rates for PV systems. In my case, my 8.8 kw system connection fee will be $118/mo. This will put an end to rooftop solar. The fees for commercial buildings and school is thousands of dollars a month!

Discussion is important to any PV owner as well as anyone invested in solar stocks. Read more here: California Utilities Plan All Out War On Solar, Please Read And Help

PDF #1 You can click on this and do the math to see the new proposed connection fees in your area.

PDF #2 is the complete proposal.
This battle was won way back in 2017. Zero chance such a fee schedule gets passed, everyone would just leave the grid.

These utilities like to propose rate changes that keep their profits stable or growing. That's not how the relationship works. Ask NVEnergy.

Edit: Also, I shouldn't have to say this on the TMC board, but you should obviously make sure you're divested from utilities in the near term.

Last edited:
In case anyone was interested in seeing a Plaid vs. a Nissan Leaf .... i mean 600hp GTR...... 😊 😊 😊 😊

Did you guys notice how the first few seconds the GTR pulled ahead, which is kind of surprising because the strength of an EV is its instant acceleration and off the block. Unless of course the Plaid owner wanted to give GTR some headstart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stone_Watcher
Ok, so I deliberately asked for a 3 for a loaner while my S was in for MMC work, so I could see how it was improving.

Though I've driven 3's before, I just cant believe just how good a car that the 3 is.

The autopilot / FSD graphic visualization is much nicer than on my S, and it's a really fun car to drive.

That's a Spitload of car for the money.

Bullish AF.

Did you guys notice how the first few seconds the GTR pulled ahead, which is kind of surprising because the strength of an EV is its instant acceleration and off the block. Unless of course the Plaid owner wanted to give some handicap.
GTR got a quarter- to half- second head-start. Good thing we have accurate clocks at drag strips to take human reaction time out of the eqution.

One observation from Germany: brought my car into service in Hannover on Monday for replacing a fried ultrasonic sensor controller.
The lot they have with new Teslas was already empty & no EOQ rush in sight. Seems like they could have sold more if they had gotten more cars.

Also met a new happy m3 Sr+ driver at a local charger yesterday. Had his car for 1.5 weeks :)

This battle was won way back in 2017. Zero chance such a fee schedule gets passed, everyone would just leave the grid.

These utilities like to propose rate changes that keep their profits stable or growing. That's not how the relationship works. Ask NVEnergy.

Edit: Also, I shouldn't have to say this on the TMC board, but you should obviously make sure you're divested from utilities in the near term.
Sadly, political leaning of the CPUC, and their actions just last Thursday, makes these rates look likely to pass. People leaving the grid? Not easy, as in California most all cities require a grid connection otherwise the home is red tagged as not habitable. Warren Buffet's NV Energy pushed these sorts changes through in Nevada. It put all the solar companies operating in Nevada out of business. Even Solar City and Sunrun closed down in Nevada. Thousands of workers lost their jobs to put a bit more money in Buffet's pocket. The Nevada PV owners even lost their "grandfathered" contracts. It took very expensive lawsuits the bring back the grandfathered contracts. It took a few years and great expense to bring initiatives to the voters to get back some sort of NEM in Nevada. All the while, NV Energy was spending the rate payer's money to hire countless lawyers and to spread misinformation advertising. This does not sound so benign to me.

VW will sell over 100k ID.4 this year.

VW might sell over 100k ID.3 this year. It almost certainly will in 2022.

Nissan plans to sell over 100k Ariya in Europe alone next year. Almost certain to do so worldwide.

Ford initially planned install capacity of 80k Lightnings per year. With reservations far exceeding expectations Ford is said to be scrabbling to add capacity. SKI is currently building a 10 GWh battery factory in Georgia to mainly supply Ford. Ford and SKI are expected to finalize a deal this Summer to construct two 30 GWh JV battery factories in the USA.

GM has almost finished building a 30 GWh in Ohio. Is about to break ground on a 2nd in Tennessee and has approved an additional two in a Joint Venture with LG. That is way more battery than Hummer and Cadillac Lyriq can consume. So an electric Silverado pickup with capacity over 100k units per year should be announced by Job1 of the Ford Lightning next Spring..

They can plan to build those also-rans, but will they sell in those numbers? With inferior charging networks, resistant dealers, inferior range and efficiency, inferior software, no chance of FSD like Teslas? At a price anywhere near profitable for the makers?

Or will Made-in-Germany Model Y do to ID.4 and Ariya what Model 3 did to Chevy Bolt? We'll find out soon.

We'll also find out how long Lightning and eSilverado last when Cybertruck blasts onto the market. I suspect bulletproof will beat the Jesus outta "Ford tough."

Forward Observing

FYI ~ as of 1630 (4:30 pm) a fully loaded truck of Tesla’s was north bound out of Olympia, WA. My assumption this 3Q21 load; unless crew standing by at 1800 +/- in Seattle prepared to unload, wash-n-wax, mechanically prep for delivery tomorrow morning accepting overtime compensation.

I suspect they will deliver all (or almost all) of them tomorrow. That's how Tesla rolls.