Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone find these trends a little concerning?

1. Way more retail investors
2. Retail investors use social media
3. Retail investors profit $$ ?
4. Retail investors ego++ online
5. Retail investors crappost

Edit: Excuse me, all this under the guise of ever present climate change, pandemic, lockdowns, and shaking off 4 years of Donald Trump as POTUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
Reactions: AquaY
Isn’t every source of information (print, online, personal, even TMC) a combination of facts, conjecture and bias? NYT is significantly better than most IMO.
Dont' forget when they ran a bogus story about running out of power in a Tesla, but the crazy part is even when they were caught red-handed they still refused to admit they were wrong.

A Most Peculiar Test Drive

"Problems with precision and judgement but not integrity in Tesla test" - this right here... is indicative of the fog of rationalizations the nyt lives in. They live in a bazaaro world. They can't be trusted because they believe their own bullshit.

The truth of the matter is.... Tesla autopilot just isn't that different from all the other driver assist programs. So why treat it so differently?

I think they think... they are doing a public service. But they are clearly blind to their conflicts of interest... the real reason is... Tesla doesn't advertise.. Tesla doesn't hire their friends and colleagues to work in their PR department. But most of all... nyt has a huge anti-tech bias because big tech, especially social media, has decimated their business by attracting advertising revenue at the expense of newspapers. Elon Musk is one of the most widely followed users on social media. Elon, because he bypasses traditional media and is so popular on social media, is an existential threat to their business. It's not just the advertising revenue either... In the old days if a business leader wanted to get his message out he had to play a game with the journalist... grant exclusive interviews etc... and then the journalist got to cherry pick what was shared with the public. So it's in their interest to discredit social media as somehow irresponsible, but granting an interview with them and saying something irresponsible is in the interest saving our democracy.

Anyway **** the new york times. I urge anyone interested in Tesla to cancel any subscriptions.

Last edited:
I'm wondering. In the crash where the truck was rear-needed by a Tesla, where does the video footage come from? It sure looks like it is being videoed by the car that did the rear-ending, i.e. the Tesla. Who released that video? The Tesla owner, Tesla corporate? I can't see either of those things happening.
I believe according to the article it was the driver of the Tesla that released it.

Maybe he believed it demonstrated he was not at fault?

I do wish that young man had had his seat belt on.

I have posted this question for years, if Autopilot is involved in an accident is Tesla liable? Some here stated No! I guess we are about to find out. Pretty sure Tesla has some very good lawyers, look forward to reading their arguments that will be basis for cases going forward.

And yes, this situation or argument has a major effect on the stock price.

If you navigate to the Autopilot menu, you have many many features to adjust to your liking. Most features pertain to your safety, from auto hi beams to how many car lengths you’d like to be from the car ahead.

You better believe when Tesla is liable, most settings will be in Tesla’s conservative interest of safety and not yours. People will HATE Tesla managing this for you, but why wouldn’t they at that point?

Reactions: wipster
I think it's the DIDI news. The Chinese government cracking the whip and asking them to remove their app fromm app stores is a drastic action.

Everything with china exposure I guess is getting taken to the cleaners.
China is a real risk and Tesla investors would be smart to recognize this, brilliant to build the EU factory in core EU vs low cost China and to build Austin as well. Personally I don't value anything or any number from China in terms of Tesla valuations. Helps the mission for sure because Tesla is forcing Chinese companies to produce more effective and better products. Profits though, I will believe it when Chinese start buying FSD subscriptions. If the communist don't grab that software from Tesla than Tesla will one day make profits in China.

don’t overtly advertise you have 3,000 shares or vultures circle
Thanks. I do appreciate the concern. 🙏 I posted that number more to show how many bloody little anger purchases of 5 shares I’ve made over the past year rather than reveal my TSLA exposure. But honestly, I suspect I’m small fry compared to the HODLers and traders who dwell here and have kept me thoroughly entertained and informed over the past six years.

Silly question, but sueing AI seems at the core of the puzzle. Sure, there has to be a defendant, and in this case it's Tesla - the creator of the machine (should be the driver who was not paying attention, but let's go with this briefly). It's learning mostly on it's own and the teacher is the broader public. So if it rear-ends someone, is the AI at fault or it's parents (Tesla), or it's teachers (public)? At which point does this AI machine turn adult (18 yrs old) and is responsible for itself? And if Tesla licenses FSD to a 3rd party, is Tesla still responsible for any further "stupid" moves? Or is this more like adoption, and the new parents own it? If that's the case, create a new shadow company for the AI to separate the machine from the brains?

Maybe rhetorical questions (for another day, don't mean to take off topic), but the idea that a machine made a mistake seems to suggest that a whole new field of law could emerge. And who should best represent AI and the machine in question under oath? (Or is an oath even needed here?) Sure, I'm talking about data at this point, but 10 yrs out, I could see the machines speaking for themselves for honesty reasons.

To be clear, I'm not worried about Tesla here, and the fight was expected. FSD is the big pop that the incumbent fear most. But Safety Data wins this argument everytime. And, as was alluded above, the more scrutiny they put on Tesla, the more it hurts all competitors as well, so it won't last.

By the way, our Y is getting an upgrade right now. And when it comes, the "Button" should say "Drive Safely" vs "Have Fun".

Absolutely not happening. Y in Berlin and Austin first. Might as well speculate that FSD gets released tomorrow; you’d have million times better chance of being right.

There’s speculation and then there’s ridiculous speculation. Yours is absurdly ridiculous speculation.
Not saying the chance is high, but nothing is absolute when it comes to Tesla. Thought people here learned this already.

I have posted this question for years, if Autopilot is involved in an accident is Tesla liable? Some here stated No! I guess we are about to find out. Pretty sure Tesla has some very good lawyers, look forward to reading their arguments that will be basis for cases going forward.

And yes, this situation or argument has a major effect on the stock price.
As I have been saying for years...Autopilot in its current form is purely a driver assist feature. The driver is always responsible for the actions of the car. ALWAYS.

Dan

Sandy was also very clear that the Mach-E’s battery pack provided strength to the body in white, as Tesla will be doing ‘soon’ with the new cell size. So it’s not apples to apples yet. The acid test for Ford will be when it’s compared to the structural 1480 battery pack.
I know where my money is.
So, I haven't seen the Munro Mach-E pack teardown, just to clarify:

1) The initial Tesla pack design provided rigidity to the vehicle body via the pack frame and structure. The cells themselves were primarily payload that provided no structural capability.

2) The new 4680 "structural" design actually utilizes the cylindrical cell itself as a stressed member comprising the internal honeycomb portion of an integrated pack/frame structure.

From your statement above where you say "Mach-E’s battery pack provided strength to the body in white, as Tesla will be doing ‘soon’ with the new cell size", are you saying Munro is claiming that Mach-E has a pack that uses the cell itself as a structural member?

Tesla has made many things "clear" like no Sr Ys. And yet here we are. Getting Model 3s ramping is the easiest since they have the most expertise, especially when they are trying an entirely new battery assembly at Berlin with the Y. This is just speculation on my part but Tesla is known to change plans on a dime.
Yes, ramping 4680's is not easy, and it's taking longer than everyone hoped. However, taking longer initially will not negate the tremendous advances that will accrue, plus the equally major improvement that will accrue as gigapresses ramp up, another thing that is taking longer than we had hoped.
Sadly, most 'analysts' and many of us become impatient for very rapid results, partly because, I admit, Elon Musk tends towards optimism himself. That is an issue, no doubt.

That said we would have no Tesla at all were Elon not overly optimistic. Even if we did we'd not have Model X, Models 3 or Model Y. Those all are the triumph of excessive optimism. We also would not have reusable rockets, Starlink or anything like Octovalves and so on through many examples.

Surely policies do change abruptly at Tesla. Production variants appear and disappear equally abruptly. Irritating, positively. For a very recent example, I really do want my Plaid, promised in June!

So, we now suggest that Tesla will take the easiest production solution and expand Model 3 just because it si now more mature than is the 4680 Berlin and/or Austin vehicles. Please think about this in then context of history.

Without repeating the long history of Elon Musk innovations I suggest only that anybody having doubts now should review the history. Once done, consider that he never takes the easy way out, but strives for the best way. On every subject that is true. hat approach does indeed make things arrives improbably, both late and early. From FSD to reusable rockets, Gigapresses to direct sales and so on.

So, do not ever think we'll have Model 3 because it is easy. We'll have Model Y in quite a variety of 'flavors'. Some will be late and others will appear spontaneously.

All of this is why shareholders pay. All of this is why people who lack vision persist in shorting TSLA.
Boeing said reusable rockets were impossible. GM and everyone else said electric cars were impractical. Now 'everyone' says FSD will not happen.

Now we have those among us whom doubt the 4680 will not arrive in high volume. This one is pretty simple; by Elon standards, that is.

We're soon to hear about a huge increase in profits driven in large part by a succession of practices, procedures and products that 'won't work'. Some will be disdainful.

So, please just think about it. Berlin will begin with Model Y. So will Fremont. The ramps will have 'hiccups' from 4680's to Gigapresses, new paint shops and much more. Quite soon we'll find it that all this has yielded yet more precedent-breaking advances.

Have just a little faith!

China is a real risk and Tesla investors would be smart to recognize this, brilliant to build the EU factory in core EU vs low cost China and to build Austin as well. Personally I don't value anything or any number from China in terms of Tesla valuations. Helps the mission for sure because Tesla is forcing Chinese companies to produce more effective and better products. Profits though, I will believe it when Chinese start buying FSD subscriptions. If the communist don't grab that software from Tesla than Tesla will one day make profits in China.
Just stop. Everyone on this bandwagon of fear mongering about everything. It’s bloody dangerous crossing a street on a green light. Do you know how many people were injured or died in related fireworks incidents this past weekend? A lot without counting the idiots who thought it was a good idea to put a sparkler up their noses and other orifices.

If we listened to every warning about investment risk we’d be paralyzed by the fear and keeping our money in our mattresses, freezers, toilet bowls and backyards.

Playing options isn’t investing, it’s gambling. As someone who has invested everything in Tesla, I fear nothing. If they go down, we’re all toast anyway. Money isn’t going to help. Time to understand that and change your thinking and perspective about all of it. China isn’t any riskier to investors than putting your back out folding laundry; poo happens now and again. Hold. Then take a few muscle relaxants and a bottle of gin to bed, you’ll feel better in the morning one way or another.

I do wish that young man had had his seat belt on.
That's the big safety issue here - the kid had no seatbelt (but the driver did I assume, so even more mistakes made there).

And yet seatbelts were resisted for years due to costs and perceived exposure that accidents can happen. I had to add seat belts to my old '63 Buick, go figure. Tucker and his 50 cars come to mind here. I can only imagine the FUD back then. Something like "Seatbelts - Don't get trapped underwater." It's a strong parallel, but fortunately we're past the 50 car mark I think.

Perhaps a camera with AI to report number of cars waiting in line ?
I immediately thought that an algorithm associated with such things as charging apps would be quite capable of identifying a bottleneck hours before one forms would already have been produced.

ON the Stock price..I am amazed at how well the MM can predict the price the stock will be in the future.
Maxpain was stated yesterday, and is at $665 for this Friday. Those boys are so damn good at predicting how the stock will move regardless of the actual facts. I am amazed./S

Dont' forget when they ran a bogus story about running out of power in a Tesla, but the crazy part is even when they were caught red-handed they still refused to admit they were wrong.

A Most Peculiar Test Drive

"Problems with precision and judgement but not integrity in Tesla test" - this right here... is indicative of the fog of rationalizations the nyt lives in. They live in a bazaaro world. They can't be trusted because they believe their own bullshit.

The truth of the matter is.... Tesla autopilot just isn't that different from all the other driver assist programs. So why treat it so differently?

I think they think... they are doing a public service. But they are clearly blind to their conflicts of interest... the real reason is... Tesla doesn't advertise.. Tesla doesn't hire their friends and colleagues to work in their PR department. But most of all... nyt has a huge anti-tech bias because big tech, especially social media, has decimated their business by attracting advertising revenue at the expense of newspapers. Elon Musk is one of the most widely followed users on social media. Elon, because he bypasses traditional media and is so popular on social media, is an existential threat to their business. It's not just the advertising revenue either... In the old days if a business leader wanted to get his message out he had to play a game with the journalist... grant exclusive interviews etc... and then the journalist got to cherry pick what was shared with the public. So it's in their interest to discredit social media as somehow irresponsible, but granting an interview with them and saying something irresponsible is in the interest saving our democracy.

Anyway **** the new york times. I urge anyone interested in Tesla to cancel any subscriptions.
I cancelled the NY Slimes years ago...
(I remember 1/3 of the Sunday paper were car ads)

Thanks. I do appreciate the concern. 🙏 I posted that number more to show how many bloody little anger purchases of 5 shares I’ve made over the past year rather than reveal my TSLA exposure. But honestly, I suspect I’m small fry compared to the HODLers and traders who dwell here and have kept me thoroughly entertained and informed over the past six years.
You might want to see someone about anger management; you can afford some sessions.

Silly question, but sueing AI seems at the core of the puzzle. Sure, there has to be a defendant, and in this case it's Tesla - the creator of the machine (should be the driver who was not paying attention, but let's go with this briefly). It's learning mostly on it's own and the teacher is the broader public. So if it rear-ends someone, is the AI at fault or it's parents (Tesla), or it's teachers (public)? At which point does this AI machine turn adult (18 yrs old) and is responsible for itself? And if Tesla licenses FSD to a 3rd party, is Tesla still responsible for any further "stupid" moves? Or is this more like adoption, and the new parents own it? If that's the case, create a new shadow company for the AI to separate the machine from the brains?
We would need to see some sort of case law or legislation establishing AI as a "person", similar to how corporations are treated, before that's possible. Until then it's the owner of the software and operator of the vehicle/software that will be liable.

I immediately thought that an algorithm associated with such things as charging apps would be quite capable of identifying a bottleneck hours before one forms would already have been produced.

ON the Stock price..I am amazed at how well the MM can predict the price the stock will be in the future.
Maxpain was stated yesterday, and is at $665 for this Friday. Those boys are so damn good at predicting how the stock will move regardless of the actual facts. I am amazed./S
The App does this best it can. Problem is with the Utilities not supplying sufficient power to the chargers... per Tesla Service last night.

On the stock price, I do think there's a pac that shorts TSLA with a trigger like "Let's call up the Devil." Difficult to prove they meant the 666 target, hence code names.