Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many friends/family have you guys successfully convinced to buy a significant amount of TSLA before the run up?(cost basis 65 dollars or less)? My track record is zero. I have successfully convinced my friends to put 5 figures into AMD, MTCH and Fiverr no problem. Not one person went for TSLA. Getting them to buy a share or two doesn't count. Like truly convinced.
Three. My best friend liquidated his entire diversified retirement account and went 100% TSLA, because I was all in. My brother invested enough that he is now sitting on a few million. Another sold too soon.

Decode for me please.

Screenshot_20210712_204545.jpg

How many friends/family have you guys successfully convinced to buy a significant amount of TSLA before the run up?(cost basis 65 dollars or less)? My track record is zero. I have successfully convinced my friends to put 5 figures into AMD, MTCH and Fiverr no problem. Not one person went for TSLA. Getting them to buy a share or two doesn't count. Like truly convinced.
I told everyone i knew in 2019 and reiterated in 2020 during the COVID crash....i now have 0 friends/family members because no one listened and they all hate me now..... 😊 😊 😊 😊 i do have one friend that listened and he and i made a pact if $TSLA goes bankwupt, he would man the burgers and i would take care of the fries/onion rings. :p:p:p

I made a fortune myself, I still have most all of my original 2012 shares. I bought these shares hoping to make enough to pay myself back for just one half of the Model S I had just bought. I ended up with enough to buy more than 150 free Model S's! This thread helped me stay long, special thanks to Dave T, Sleepy Head, Curt, Norse (the original), TeslaOpt, Thumper, and others.

What pleases me more is the several friends of mine who are normally quite low income and now have made enough to change their lives. This would be 3 or 4 musician friends, my hair cutter, my brother and a few more. All of these bought what they could back in very early 2013 (the price then was 1/100 of what it is today) and are still holding long. My favorite is a fiddler buddy who makes about $30K a year. His life savings was $32k which he had gone all in very early 2013 and now has, well, you can do the math..

I almost forgot! My wife had money that she set aside from her inheritance from her mother's death in 2012. This was $80k she planned to leave her three sons from a previous marriage. At my suggestion she bought $80k worth at around $35 ($7 post split). My wife died in 2014 of leukemia. Her sons still have this stock. Well, her investment left them with a lot more than $80k divided 3 ways

I convinced my brother, my best friend (since childhood), my brother-in-law and my wife's cousin to get in TSLA when the stock was at $80 or lower - right before the run-up........and often had to convince them to HODL along the way. Two of them made 6 figure initial investments. Let's just say I no longer pick up the tab when we go to dinner.

Edit: They often ask, "what other investment opportunities do you recommend?" My response: "None - just Tesla".
Edit 2 - They also ask me what gave me such conviction about Telsa? My response, "TMC" - that's the truth - thank you all !

BPTRX and ARK funds are acceptable diversification plays on TMC.

Ron and Cathie will occasionally sell at high prices to lock in gains. They also have the firepower to dig up more change under couches on pullbacks. Easier than us as retail.

Surprised there was no mention that Cathie Wood found the local bottom. TSLA has been finishing above her buypoint every day.

I am surprised, “chairs” tweet hasn’t caught much attention, guys it’s our lingo “chairs” 🤷‍♂️

Add to this, the tweet earlier about sequel, and then the green candles meme.
More and more tips from our guy, is it the overzealous and greedy side of me seeing these dominantly, or is my rational side also starting to connect the dots…🤔

EDIT 45mins after original post: Now folks are making use of this/my clue, on Twitter <bragging hat on>. Happy they picked it :cool:

Last edited:
In 2013-2016 I was a bit over keen on talking Tesla and used to ramble on about it to friend and co-workers but I could see they were just uninterested in some silly high priced electric carmaker in America. I did eventually stop talking about it, but have to work hard not to "I told you so" when some of the same people mention Tesla as an investment now. I figure I did as much as I could to let people know.

I inspired one out of three friends to invest. He got in for a fair chunk of his life savings during the 2019 dip when I went all-in. He saw the investment opportunity but never took enough interest in the company to really understand Tesla. So to my great frustration he sold everything several times, reinvested a significant fraction in AMC, CCIV and other crazy gambles, but he got lucky and can now live comfortably - until he loses 80% on some reckless gamble. Hopefully he'll grow more prudent, but it's clear that HODL-ing is too hard for some. The other two friends I really wish they'd have picked my brains on TSLA, it would have been wonderful to ride this train together. Now the wealth disparity is creating a new kind of awkwardness in our relationship.

There is only one person that I could convince to go in at the full 100% just like me.... my wife.
When the SP stayed at a relatively constant level some years ago, she would ask every now and then if it had been a wise decision for her to go all-in.
Now she is planning to completely renovate the house of her mother.
Her question about going all-in: haven't heard it anymore.

My dad has his entire TSFA (tax free savings account) in TSLA since pre S&P, but that took two years of convincing.

The only other person is my daughter, at $336 presplit, or but that was only because I told her regardless of how much she put in, I will back up her Tesla investment anytime she wants to take out that money. She is still all in.

About 10 of my friends whom I share my private $TSLA blog posts with should have a good chunk of money in it. But I don’t know for sure how significant are the amounts or if they are holders or traders. One did “invest” money to several of her friend’s small business startups during the pandemic, and she said to my wife that those were all from her TSLA gains, but I don’t know the amounts involved for those either.

Last edited:
Three. Spouse & 2 friends. Spouse completely on board. 2 friends only small amounts, 1 because didn't have much, so low $, high %. Other wanted cash available, so higher $, low %. I don't push it and only these people know I have shares. Friends don't know how much, as made a pact with spouse not to discuss in real life, as in our situation, only likely to lead to problems.

Everyone else we know is skint/indebted/property obsessed (UK's major industries are selling overpriced houses to each other and laundering money, often both together)

Edit: First friend wants to keep selling $TSLA & buy some rumour. He asks my advice and I say "do you understand the company?", answer normally something about a takeover rumour, which thanks to some TMC-inspired understanding I now assume to be opposite the truth & a pump & dump. First friend is a gambler/trader. Second is a HODLer (he'll probably forget he's got it). Neither understand Tesla or its potential

Last edited:
How many days is Elon expected to spend (having to waste) his time in court this week?
I'm not sure its entirely wasted. If the public outcome of the case states clearly, with elon on steps of a courthouse, that he won the case, then that permanently shuts up 99% of people who would bring up solarcity as a strike against him, and against tesla.

Tried with all my might to get my closest 3 friends to throw something at Tesla back at the beginning of 2019. We met through a car club, so me driving a Tesla was already “pie in the sky” enough for them lol…Got the same reaction from my GF as well…told her the time was now to jump in…she said I was crazy and to be more responsible with my money lol…

oh how the tables have turned…I don’t guilt my friends (they still don’t have a penny in TSLA), I’m sure the wound is still pretty deep for them so I wanna keep things civil…I will admit once Doge started picking up, I slipped them a tip to maybe buy some, and they jumped pretty fast so maybe they felt missing out a second time was out of the question. My GF on the other hand is doing very well, she still says it’s cause her close friend (financial advisor) said it would be a “good idea” to hold TSLA so that’s why she does…whatever…I’ll save the I told you so’s for when we’re on permanent vacation :cool: