Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy, y'all aren't going to like this.

The folks at the software company making the wacky CyberLandr camper announced the winner in their drawing for a free one, and, well, look:

View attachment 691485

Ugh...guess it's wishful thinking that there could be a different one.
Jokes on him if he is only getting the “cyberlander” and no cash now. Because I personally don’t think it will ever be built. Not at least like the CGI. Also if it was really made, scale Is wrong. 4 x6 with no overhangs is not going to make a comfortable camper for most people. And 4x6 with a bathroom? Could work for children.

The real question is how long it takes for "New Money" to become "Old Money". Is it merely a single generation? There is now no longer anyone in the Disney family who actually involves themselves with the family's company, are they now "Old Money"? Meanwhile, the Ford family still owns a majority controlling stake in their family's company and William Clay "Bill" Ford not only actively serves in various executive positions but was even CEO for a number of years. So are the Fords still "New Money"? The mind boggles at the thought of these arbitrary distinctions.

How do you know when new money becomes old money is the same question as is it new money or old? The answer is always the same, you will know it when you see it. It might be somewhere in between.

My first exposure to the concept of new and old money was from people who didn't have a large amount of money (but perhaps they descended from old money a long time ago). They had culture and education but not a ton of money and spoke very critically of new money and respected old money.

Personally, I'm more impressed with people who create wealth than maintain it but both sides could learn a lot from one another. The one thing they have in common is both sides place far too much emphasis on the importance of money as to the identity of who someone is. Old money believes you need money to be important (and new money doesn't qualify) and new money believes you need money to be important and any kind of money qualifies. I believe an individuals level of importance is largely independent of how much wealth they have managed to acquire or maintain but, of course, it always reflects well on someone when they are productive and not wasteful or overly consumptive. And this does tend to lead to having more than one needs.

Well I didn't expect to see red today, but this looks like the ol' MMD amplifying the drop in the NASDAQ so maybe it will start heading positive again after 11am.

I didn't either, but it let me buy back those 750 ccs I sold yesterday for ~67% profit in less than 24 hours... if it pops again later today I'll resell em... if it pops a fair bit I'll also rebuy the 690 puts I sold pre-pop for most of the profit early.... can't let the MMs have all the fun.

I didn't either, but it let me buy back those 750 ccs I sold yesterday for ~67% profit in less than 24 hours... if it pops again later today I'll resell em... if it pops a fair bit I'll also rebuy the 690 puts I sold pre-pop for most of the profit early.... can't let the MMs have all the fun.
“You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the Market Maker” 😉

Oh boy, y'all aren't going to like this.

The folks at the software company making the wacky CyberLandr camper announced the winner in their drawing for a free one, and, well, look:

View attachment 691485

Ugh...guess it's wishful thinking that there could be a different one.
One fraudster to another. What’s not to like?
In fact, on the face of it, 2nd Prize is more appealing, as it seems one gets $1,000.

As far as I’m concerned it’s still down $150. Even if you (general) think at $900 it was ahead of itself, Tesla has had two brilliant quarters since then and is sold out for pretty much the rest of the year in all markets. Other items like Megapack and Powerwall are also sold out. Point being, $900 us no longer ahead of anything. I am owed my $900.
Let me expand further. If CT does in fact have those 1.25 million preorders and we eliminate 500,000 right off the top for duplication orders, people who aren’t serious, padding orders, whathaveyou, that still leaves 750,000.

If Tesla comes out of the gate at a production rate of 250,000 CT/yr - which won’t happen - they’ve got THREE years at that rate of just back orders. Organic growth of demand will explode once people can touch and drive one of these bad boys. I have a waiting list of people who want to drive mine.

We don’t have to go out on a limb at all to know that once Semi hits the road, it will be sold out for the foreseeable future.

I am OWED my $900 this very second and a whole lot more over the coming months and years.

Once we see an actual driving prototype of the next down market model - 12-18 months from that point for production (no, I’m not falling for these current rumors on Twitterverse), then I will be owed a few order of magnitude more.

I finally got to see a solar tile roof this past weekend up close and personal. Give me my money, Wallstreet!

I may have opted for the mountain, first, but the island will follow at some point.

As far as I’m concerned it’s still down $150. Even if you (general) think at $900 it was ahead of itself, Tesla has had two brilliant quarters since then and is sold out for pretty much the rest of the year in all markets. Other items like Megapack and Powerwall are also sold out. Point being, $900 us no longer ahead of anything. I am owed my $900.
This guy get's it.........not every time.....but a good majority of the time..... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I think it'll be very very interesting to see how the reservation rate under the new $100 system translates to real orders

I know folks who have early reservations for multiple CTs, but absolutely could not afford to buy even ONE CT- they thought it'd be cool to tell people they have them reserved, and hey maybe they'll win the lottery or somehow stop being terrible with money in a couple years when the truck is ready.

I also know folks who 100% plan to buy one, and can afford to, but didn't bother with the reservation because they're from the "I don't start reading a book series until the author has finished the series" school of thought.

And of course I'm sure others know all sorts of other people all across the range.

I'd be surprised if the "reserved but does not order" rate isn't a decent bit higher for CT than it was for say the 3- given the 10x drop in cost for a reservation... but then the reservation # is a lot higher for CT as well, and "full size truck" is a lot bigger addressable market too.

(IIRC The 3 had a little over 500k reservations and the cancellation rate ended up around 12% of those).

Don't count your catnip before it's grown and harvested.

Plant enough to get an entire clowder stoned and hope for good growing weather. Chances are, there will be plenty to share with the kindle.

I think it'll be very very interesting to see how the reservation rate under the new $100 but not refundable system translates to 'real' orders--

I know folks who have early reservations for multiple CTs, but absolutely could not afford to buy even ONE CT- they thought it'd be cool to tell people they have them reserved, and hey maybe they'll win the lottery or somehow stop being terrible with money in a couple years when the truck is ready.

I also know folks who 100% plan to buy one, and can afford to, but didn't bother with the reservation because they're from the "I don't start reading a book series until the author has finished the series" school of thought.

And of course I'm sure others know all sorts of other people all across the range.

I'd be surprised if the "reserved but does not order" rate isn't a decent bit higher for CT than it was for say the 3- given the 10x drop in cost for a reservation... but then the reservation # is a lot higher for CT as well, and "full size truck" is a lot bigger addressable market too.

(IIRC The 3 had a little over 500k reservations and the cancellation rate ended up around 12% of those).
More than a few people like myself also ordered several extra as a Robotaxi play. If that doesn't look possible in then those orders will go away too. My guess is a 40% conversion rate for the CT, but those who drop will be easily replaced once it gets out on the road.

Most of the medium-long timers here are objectively rich or at least very well off. Yet we do the same things we did back when we were poor, talk about Tesla.
My ol man is rich. The greatest thing about that is I had the comfort of knowing I'd always have a place to eat and sleep. The other was he would willingly make loans to his children. I've only taken one loan from him, to buy my home. A day after he wrote the check he came by and gave me the payment book. 6 pages on a steno pad he had hand-written out. I still have it. This guy was Comptroller for NASA, and he took that night to break out the calculator and do all the math. the caveat with him is what he said when he gave me the "loan book." Son, here it is, you don't have to pay it back. But if you don't when it is time for the will to be read it will be on the ledger, and come out of your part."
I am his favorite (I think) because I paid it back as soon as I could get a better rate with a bank. All my brothers and sisters defaulted on at least one of their loans with him. And he told me that. He finds me "interesting."
But about a month ago I was visiting with him (he's close to 90), and I had a burning question that was created because of my recently accumulated "wealth." I still find myself ordering from the Dollar menu at McDonald's, and buying the value sized pack of the better functioning toilet paper, and not the softest. I asked him how he manages his entrenched mindset and behavior patterns. His answer was he does not. He's making more money than he can spend, and yet he still enjoys living life ...economically.
I fear I will be the same. The biggest difference between being rich and poor for the newly wealthy is trying to find motivation from somewhere other than doing what you do to meet your basic needs.

Let me expand further. If CT does in fact have those 1.25 million preorders and we eliminate 500,000 right off the top for duplication orders, people who aren’t serious, padding orders, whathaveyou, that still leaves 750,000.

If Tesla comes out of the gate at a production rate of 250,000 CT/yr - which won’t happen - they’ve got THREE years at that rate of just back orders. Organic growth of demand will explode once people can touch and drive one of these bad boys. I have a waiting list of people who want to drive mine.

We don’t have to go out on a limb at all to know that once Semi hits the road, it will be sold out for the foreseeable future.

I am OWED my $900 this very second and a whole lot more over the coming months and years.

Once we see an actual driving prototype of the next down market model - 12-18 months from that point for production (no, I’m not falling for these current rumors on Twitterverse), then I will be owed a few order of magnitude more.

I finally got to see a solar tile roof this past weekend up close and personal. Give me my money, Wallstreet!

I may have opted for the mountain, first, but the island will follow at some point.
I've heard from one supplier that planned cybertruck volume is currently at 125k/yr ( 2022, 2023). I guess they will need to increase it at some point.

I think it'll be very very interesting to see how the reservation rate under the new $100 system translates to real orders

More than a few people like myself also ordered several extra as a Robotaxi play. If that doesn't look possible in then those orders will go away too. My guess is a 40% conversion rate for the CT, but those who drop will be easily replaced once it gets out on the road.
Hey @Knightshade , where did you find the 12 per cent cancellation rate number from? I am a bit shocked it is so low. Is that official? If so great!
I am one of the people who have a reservation down, but it is highly likely we will not purchase one (it is too big for us). I am thinking conversion rate of only 25 per cent or so.

Reactions: FireMedic
Hey @Knightshade , where did you find the 12 per cent cancellation rate number from? I am a bit shocked it is so low. Is that official? If so great!
I am one of the people who have a reservation down, but it is highly likely we will not purchase one (it is too big for us). I am thinking conversion rate of only 25 per cent or so.

63,000 cancellations from 518,000 reservations.

12.16%

Source is Elon himself on earnings call mid-2017 just as Model 3 deliveries had begun.