Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, all of you amazing people so much smarter than me with all of this; my next deposit cleared with fidelity (finally), the question now becomes buy tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday?

No one can predict the future, but you all have proven to be much more accurate than me lol!
Have cash? Buy TSLA. Simple and effective. Timing is Time horizons are everything. Nobody here knows what the near term is going to be, except maybe those who can buy the NYTimes (meaning the institution not the putzes who write for it and evidently it doesn’t cost that that much) and they aren’t on your side.

What is so hard about that? Look, I spent years "underwater" with my Winter 2018 buys. Who wouldn’t want that price now (ok, it was painful at the time, but you get the point)?

Srsly, keep your TSLA and it will keep you. Don’t sweat the small stuff (unless you have a house renovation and spouse to satisfy—then you are on your own, eh @Lycanthrope? BTW, don’t get yourself in that situation). ;)

Last edited:
Okay, all of you amazing people so much smarter than me with all of this; my next deposit cleared with fidelity (finally), the question now becomes buy tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday?

No one can predict the future, but you all have proven to be much more accurate than me lol!
You could dollar cost average and buy in equal amounts over several days or even spread out purchases on Fridays which often seem to have a dip due to option expirations.

I'll tell you this anecdotal piece of information:
I've advised many friends and coworkers to invest in Tesla and to just buy when they can once a month or as often as they can. Last year when covid slapped the entire market one of my coworkers who was skeptical began to show interest when we were near the low for the year breaking below $400. He decided to pull the trigger but by the time his money had been transferred Tesla started to show signs of recovering and was trading back above $400.

He said he'd jump in when it went back below $400 and I cautioned him we may not see that happen. He then sat and watched it push into the $500s and thought he missed the boat. It wasn't until later when I again went over future valuation that he ultimately pulled the trigger in the $600s. What maybe helped was me telling him he won't care if he bought at 500 or 600 when years later we are trading at 2000 and above.

Split adjusted we are trading at $3,675.

Now, post split we are at $735 and experts like Cathie Wood have 2025 valuations in the $3000-$4000 range. I recommend not worrying so much about the timing of your purchase. You're investing in the correct company and all you have to do is buy and hold in the long term.

Good luck.

I usually like to buy during red days.
If there is one this week I will be happy for you.
if there is none this week, I will be happy for me. ;)
I would recommend reading Papafox’s blog posts. He provides to this community (free of charge) a daily after action report with some insight for what to expect in the coming days.

You could dollar cost average and buy in equal amounts over several days or even spread out purchases on Fridays which often seem to have a dip due to option expirations.

I'll tell you this anecdotal piece of information:
I've advised many friends and coworkers to invest in Tesla and to just buy when they can once a month or as often as they can. Last year when covid slapped the entire market one of my coworkers who was skeptical began to show interest when we were near the low for the year breaking below $400. He decided to pull the trigger but by the time his money had been transferred Tesla started to show signs of recovering and was trading back above $400.

He said he'd jump in when it went back below $400 and I cautioned him we may not see that happen. He then sat and watched it push into the $500s and thought he missed the boat. It wasn't until later when I again went over future valuation that he ultimately pulled the trigger in the $600s. What maybe helped was me telling him he won't care if he bought at 500 or 600 when years later we are trading at 2000 and above.

Split adjusted we are trading at $3,675.

Now, post split we are at $735 and experts like Cathie Wood have 2025 valuations in the $3000-$4000 range. I recommend not worrying so much about the timing of your purchase. You're investing in the correct company and all you have to do is buy and hold in the long term.

Good luck.
For the few years prior to Cybertruck reveal, every time I found a little extra cash I told myself “any shares purchased for less than $500 (pre-split) are going to look like a steal in 5 years“.

Didn’t take that long.

No one can predict the future, but you all have proven to be much more accurate than me lol

DCA is always a good idea, but you need to be consistent.

Hedgies jump on TSLA in the early Pre-market (bucking macros), as they desperately want $730:

Nasdaq 100 Sep 21 (NQ=F)​

CME - CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
15,590.50 +8.00 (+0.05%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Sep 01, 2021 05:35 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$733.00 -2.72 (-0.37%)
Pre-Market Volume40,146
Pre-Market High$737 (04:02:23 AM)
Pre-Market Low$730 (05:22:48 AM)

Wow
Sad performance by most. Amazing that the Audi e-tron only gets 180 real world miles from 95 kwh!

View attachment 703887
Sorry but the Vauxhall figures are BS. We have a Corsa E (Opel) and we regularly drive 260km to my dad at "highway speeds" which is around 115km/h. Few days ago (mild weather, no wind, AC on, 2 adults, 2 kids, full trunk) we arrived with 60km range left. How did they test this thing? Did they floor it on the autobahn going uphill with 150km/h??

Hedgies jump on TSLA in the early Pre-market (bucking macros), as they desperately want $730:

Nasdaq 100 Sep 21 (NQ=F)​

CME - CME Delayed Price. Currency in USD
15,590.50 +8.00 (+0.05%)

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Sep 01, 2021 05:35 AM ET.
Consolidated Last Sale$733.00 -2.72 (-0.37%)
Pre-Market Volume40,146
Pre-Market High$737 (04:02:23 AM)
Pre-Market Low$730 (05:22:48 AM)
I 100% agree that Hedgies want it below $730, in fact I predict >720<725 still unless we get some change in the OI for this week

However, looks like the all main* EV growth stocks took a dump this morning:

1630490535517.png

* I use the word "main" with some caution, in this case to cover companies actually manufacturing and delivering cars, unlike the Far-away Fantasy speculative ventures...

Wow
Sad performance by most. Amazing that the Audi e-tron only gets 180 real world miles from 95 kwh!

View attachment 703887

Something’s wrong with this picture. The Kia Soul EV gets 78% of the range of the Model 3 with 54% of the battery? Because Tesla is known for such inefficient use of battery, uh-huh…

(And the ID.3 is also more efficient than the Model 3?)

Can you believe it: Bjorn managed to make a short video clip. :)

What's more important: he concluded that his 8 year old P85 degraded only 11% after 350.000 km (217.000 miles) on the ODO.
This is consistent with my own 2013 P85. It proves how excellent the battery and batterymanagement of Tesla are.
This is one of the things I always communicate with people about Tesla to possible future owners of the car as well as of TSLA stock.
It surely helps that we not only talk the talk, but also walk the walk.

personally, i use a modified DCA. when i get free cash, i buy TSLA, if i get a “wild hair” i may ”rage buy” a share or 3 on margin, then deposit cash as available.
do a mental exercise. suppose you had a “closed timeline curve” machine capable of violating causality (a time machine) and went back to just before pre 5:1 split. you’d still be up ~$1,000/share.
or my bud further back in time. “i don’t know robert, $70 a share is really pricey “ (50 bagger since then, but i missed out on a lot of that by attempting to trade)
can you afford to tie up the money for years? what is your goal?
Yes! I’m not married (lol) and carry no debt. Thankfully, I fell in love with Tesla during the March-June lows of the pandemic market crash and bought the majority of my shares then. Over the past year and a half, I’ve just bought whenever my bank account started to get too high (according to my standards) . I do have a certain number in my mind as to goal for shares I would like, but I’m sure when I exceed it (which won’t be much longer after this buy), I’ll just make a higher goal.

FYI
Porsche Taycan has a "restricted power issue" due to insufficient cooling and withdrew from the JEVRA EV race series?

I found this video somehow (it's not publicly searchable), and I can see no cooling system inside the pack. Only at the one side of the pack?
But we were told in this video
that the Taycan's performance was always repeatable with no charge or heat related degradation. They said it about 100 times.