Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the US OEMs decide to game the EV rebate by producing hybrids, my gut feeling is it will only accelerate their demise and lower their chances of surviving the EV transition long term. The market is wanting hybrids less and less every year, so pivoting to them now would be extremely short sighted in my opinion.
Agreed. Betting on hybrids would be the worst of all decisions IMO. Consumers will quickly recognize that.

It is interesting that 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles may be included. HD may find some love for their expensive Lightning model.

It is interesting that 2 and 3 wheeled vehicles may be included. HD may find some love for their expensive Lightning model.
One of the few stocks I own other than Tesla is Arcimoto, they make an electric trike motorcycle basically and I love riding motorcycles. If the rebate passes as it is now then it would provide a hefty rebate off every Arcimoto FUV sold, and then I would probably need to buy one to sit next to my Model Y. :cool:

Overnight, we saw this rumor: (more details now follow in blog post below)

I think blog author Simon Alvarez does get his math slightly wrong: new CATL bty packs for SR+ are 60 KWh each, so a 45 GWh bty pack order is more likely for ~750K Models 3/Y in 2022.

Still, that's on top of MiC long range 3/Y production, which use NMC chemistry in LG bty cells. A separate report says Giga Nevada will produce 40 GWh of bty cells in 2022 (although that will include some TE products like powerwall).

It's also unclear if all 750K LFP packs from CATL are intended for vehicle production in Shanghai, or if a portion of those packs will be shipped to N. America for use in, for example, the Hertz LFP Model 3 fleet order (that's 100K packs needed right there). Those could be part of this order, or extra to it.

Either way, it looks like Tesla has orders with 3rd-party bty suppliers sufficient to produce over 1.5M vehicles in 2022 (which could be ~70% growth vs 2021). :D

Then there's Tesla Energy... Good Times!

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's the Google Translation results from the src article in Korean:

36Kr Exclusive | Tesla orders 45GWh batteries from CATL, sales are expected to double next year | Li Qin (·6 hours ago) | Focus on Battery battle​
Tesla, which has passed the trillion-dollar market value mark, is still accelerating.
"36 Kr learned from a number of people familiar with the matter that Tesla has already booked 45GWh lithium iron phosphate batteries from China's leading power battery company Ningde Times for next year’s sales plan, mainly for Model 3 and Model Y models.​
"According to Tesla's official information, Model 3 and Model Y equipped with lithium iron phosphate batteries are both standard battery life versions. The former has a battery capacity of 55 degrees (kWh) and the latter has a battery capacity of 60 degrees. Based on this preliminary calculation, 45GWh of battery orders will correspond to nearly 800,000 cars. This has surpassed Tesla's total global sales in the first three quarters of this year. As of the third quarter of this year, Tesla had sold 627.35 million vehicles worldwide.​
"Another industry source told 36 krypton that in 2022, Tesla's Nevada battery factory will also expand production to more than 40GWh. Coupled with the supply of Panasonic and LG Chem, Tesla will sell at least 1.5 million cars in 2022.​
"On Tuesday, Tesla's market value exceeded $1 trillion. In the past year, the company's market value has nearly doubled due to the rapid increase in car sales and profits. A few days ago, the car rental company Hertz placed an order for 100,000 cars from Tesla, pushing the latter into the trillion-dollar club.​
"Of course, Tesla under Musk was never satisfied with the set goals. The source revealed to 36 krypton that in addition to ordering 45GWh batteries from CATL, Tesla also plans to make additional orders, "both parties are already in talks."​
"In response to the above information, Ningde Times stated to 36 krypton that it would not comment.​
"Tesla’s earliest lithium iron phosphate model was the Model 3 standard battery life version produced by the Shanghai plant in China. Starting this year, the Model Y standard battery life version produced by the Shanghai plant also began to use lithium iron phosphate batteries.​
"Since then, at the end of August this year, lithium iron phosphate models began to be sold in the United States. Tesla announced that American users can also choose lithium iron phosphate battery models when buying the standard battery life version of the Model 3. It is reported that the American standard battery life Model 3 with lithium iron phosphate batteries has a battery life that has dropped from 263 miles to 253 miles, while the price remains unchanged at 39,900 US dollars.​
"At the third-quarter earnings call in October, Tesla officially announced that the standard battery life Model 3 and Moderl Y models worldwide will use lithium iron phosphate batteries.​
"Ternary lithium batteries and lithium iron phosphate batteries are the two core technical routes in the power battery industry. Compared with ternary lithium batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries have inferior energy density and charge-discharge performance, but have better safety and stability, and lower cost, so they are favored by entry-level vehicles.​
"Especially in the past two years, companies such as CATL, BYD and Weilai have gradually improved the system energy density and winter low temperature performance of lithium iron phosphate batteries through structural improvements and mixing solutions. This also makes the demand for lithium iron phosphate batteries blow out.​
"According to the domestic power battery installation data in September, the ternary lithium battery was installed at 6.14GWh, and the total installed lithium iron phosphate battery was 9.54Wh. The lithium iron phosphate battery was ahead of the ternary battery in terms of installed capacity for three consecutive months.​
"The cost and application technology of batteries are becoming mature, which is also driving the rapid growth of electric vehicles. Tesla's million-level sales forecast is a great example. In addition, according to 36Kr, domestic auto companies, including Weilai, Great Wall and other auto companies, are also planning to increase battery orders."​
[End of Article]​

Last edited:
An important question is which plug adapters will be included with the Hertz rental, and how they will avoid the adapters going missing over time. I’m not sure 14-50 is a given.
Presumably there will be a check list just the same as they check the body of the car and interior for damages. For the 14-50 I suspect that after a few complaints of being unable to charge they'll order a few adapters.

Thank you. Yes, some people say "specific energy density" instead of "gravimetric energy density", so if I am to understand a chart solves, as the units are right there on it.
View attachment 726146

Generally NCA has more energy per size and more energy per weight than LFP. Tesla designed the volume of the battery space to serve the rental market with LFP batteries. Like an X86SX computer chip.

I think we all agree, LFP will not make "the best car" from a performance perspective, unless you ascribe to Ford marketing slogans.
It's not jut the performance (acceleration) aspects of weight that matters. Rolling resistance is directly proportional to total weight so even if all other things are equal, the heavier car will be less efficient. Tesla cares about total vehicle efficiency and it is always worse (even with the reduced range) for LFP cars.

If the US OEMs decide to game the EV rebate by producing hybrids, my gut feeling is it will only accelerate their demise and lower their chances of surviving the EV transition long term. The market is wanting hybrids less and less every year, so pivoting to them now would be extremely short sighted in my opinion.
Yes, and for hybrids to be a threat, folks need to buy them. But word's getting out fast, Teslas are low maintenance. Meanwhile, wait till all the existing hybrids have engine problems too. Will be nightmare $$$ on wheels to maintain this redundancy.

I think author Simon Alvarez gets his math wrong in this headline: the new CATL bty pack for SR+ is 60 KWh each, so a 45 GWh bty pack order is more likely for 750K Models 3/Y in 2022.

Still, that's on top of MiC long range 3/Y production, which use NMC chemistry in LG bty cells. A separate report says Giga Nevada will produce 40 GWh of bty cells in 2022 (although that will include some TE products like powerwall).

It's also unclear if all 750K LFP packs from CATL are intended for vehicle production in Shanghai, or if a portion of those packs will be shipped to N. America for use in, for example, the Hertz LFP Model 3 fleet order (that's 100K packs needed right there). Those could be part of this order, or extra to it.

Either way, it looks like Tesla has orders with 3rd-party bty suppliers sufficient to produce over 1.5M vehicles in 2022 (which could be ~70% growth vs 2021). :D

Then there's Tesla Energy... Good Times!

Cheers!

EDIT: Here's the Google Translation results from the src article in Korean:

36Kr Exclusive | Tesla orders 45GWh batteries from CATL, sales are expected to double next year | Li Qin (·6 hours ago) | Focus on Battery battle​
Tesla, which has passed the trillion-dollar market value mark, is still accelerating.
"36 Kr learned from a number of people familiar with the matter that Tesla has already booked 45GWh lithium iron phosphate batteries from China's leading power battery company Ningde Times for next year’s sales plan, mainly for Model 3 and Model Y models.​
"According to Tesla's official information, Model 3 and Model Y equipped with lithium iron phosphate batteries are both standard battery life versions. The former has a battery capacity of 55 degrees (kWh) and the latter has a battery capacity of 60 degrees. Based on this preliminary calculation, 45GWh of battery orders will correspond to nearly 800,000 cars. This has surpassed Tesla's total global sales in the first three quarters of this year. As of the third quarter of this year, Tesla had sold 627.35 million vehicles worldwide.​
"Another industry source told 36 krypton that in 2022, Tesla's Nevada battery factory will also expand production to more than 40GWh. Coupled with the supply of Panasonic and LG Chem, Tesla will sell at least 1.5 million cars in 2022.​
"On Tuesday, Tesla's market value exceeded $1 trillion. In the past year, the company's market value has nearly doubled due to the rapid increase in car sales and profits. A few days ago, the car rental company Hertz placed an order for 100,000 cars from Tesla, pushing the latter into the trillion-dollar club.​
"Of course, Tesla under Musk was never satisfied with the set goals. The source revealed to 36 krypton that in addition to ordering 45GWh batteries from CATL, Tesla also plans to make additional orders, "both parties are already in talks."​
"In response to the above information, Ningde Times stated to 36 krypton that it would not comment.​
"Tesla’s earliest lithium iron phosphate model was the Model 3 standard battery life version produced by the Shanghai plant in China. Starting this year, the Model Y standard battery life version produced by the Shanghai plant also began to use lithium iron phosphate batteries.​
"Since then, at the end of August this year, lithium iron phosphate models began to be sold in the United States. Tesla announced that American users can also choose lithium iron phosphate battery models when buying the standard battery life version of the Model 3. It is reported that the American standard battery life Model 3 with lithium iron phosphate batteries has a battery life that has dropped from 263 miles to 253 miles, while the price remains unchanged at 39,900 US dollars.​
"At the third-quarter earnings call in October, Tesla officially announced that the standard battery life Model 3 and Moderl Y models worldwide will use lithium iron phosphate batteries.​
"Ternary lithium batteries and lithium iron phosphate batteries are the two core technical routes in the power battery industry. Compared with ternary lithium batteries, lithium iron phosphate batteries have inferior energy density and charge-discharge performance, but have better safety and stability, and lower cost, so they are favored by entry-level vehicles.​
"Especially in the past two years, companies such as CATL, BYD and Weilai have gradually improved the system energy density and winter low temperature performance of lithium iron phosphate batteries through structural improvements and mixing solutions. This also makes the demand for lithium iron phosphate batteries blow out.​
"According to the domestic power battery installation data in September, the ternary lithium battery was installed at 6.14GWh, and the total installed lithium iron phosphate battery was 9.54Wh. The lithium iron phosphate battery was ahead of the ternary battery in terms of installed capacity for three consecutive months.​
"The cost and application technology of batteries are becoming mature, which is also driving the rapid growth of electric vehicles. Tesla's million-level sales forecast is a great example. In addition, according to 36Kr, domestic auto companies, including Weilai, Great Wall and other auto companies, are also planning to increase battery orders."​
[End of Article]​

Considering Tesla is planning for 40 GWh of mega pack capacity I’d bet a good chunk of it could be going there too.

Agreed. Betting on hybrids would be the worst of all decisions IMO. Consumers will quickly recognize that.

Gaming the system for quick, easy money or a more pragmatic long term solution… what’s the average modern CEO going to choose?
🧐

Is the Hertz agreement like S&P Inclusion?

Magellan was built on Pete listening to the discoveries of his wife.
With the cooperative Hertz agreement, that "listen to your wife/spouse" investment model now includes TSLA as an alternative to VOO.

googled - and approximates
Enterprise is the largest and has like 600K cars.
Hertz was 2nd & has like 420K (coincidence ;) ) cars.
Until now EV's were not big part of rental business, so we could consider this as a whole new line of business.

Equally important was that mark Fields (ex. Ford Ceo) who is supposed to have a pulse on the car industry, gave Tesla the green light. cheers!!

Last edited:
Is the Hertz agreement like S&P Inclusion?

Magellan was built on Pete listening to the discoveries of his wife.
With the cooperative Hertz agreement, that "listen to your wife/spouse" investment model now includes TSLA as an alternative to VOO.
Well it’s not going to force funds to purchase TSLA but it’s going to force other car rental services to offer EVs. Others will soon join in with fleet purchases. When FSD is available, fleets will have the choice between offering a self driving car to their customer vs a horse carriage that you have to pick up sh1t. I am expecting a snowballing effect.

Being 100% serious though, universities today are bloated messes that leave many kids with unreasonably huge piles of debt and they could use an Elon-style first principles makeover.

It really makes zero sense for college prices to have bloated during the exact time when the price of information has plummeted.
I agree.
Being a student in electromechanical engineering myself (though in Belgium, so it's only ~900€/annum), I really don't think what I'm learning is that valuable. I find myself getting much more value in the last two Munro videos than in any course I have/had. With everything I'm learning trough following Tesla closely, I find that universities are lame (or maybe it's just the one I'm going to haha).
The idea of an "Elon-style first principles makeover" hypes me.

I am grateful for this tweet, twitter account, and owner of this twitter account.

I'm not entirely sure that Elon isn't serious. A university that teaches using a First Principles approach and Agile development in small teams for problem solving. Scholarships could be awarded to promising students that would graduate fully prepared to work for any of the companies in the Musk Industrial Complex.
Remember, Boring Company was not considered serious at first. 💯 would buy the merch.

Not yet airborne, one of my friend is an airline pilot and he’s a TSLA paper hand master. He convinced to starting my classes next year, as soon as I have some free time from diminishing my clinical workload and slowing the medico-legal expertises workload. I wanted to pay my line of credit first. He did not convince me to sell my TSLA and would fail trying to do so. Good luck in your projects too!
Also if there weren't plenty of hotels you can charge at.

As to airbnb, I just look for there being an electric dryer and plug into that usually- or failing that usually anything that isn't an apartment you can at least plug into 110v.
True. Our biggest criteria for staying at a hotel is do they have charging and do they accept chihuahuas. After that the list is less important.

I'm not entirely sure that Elon isn't serious. A university that teaches using a First Principles approach and Agile development in small teams for problem solving. Scholarships could be awarded to promising students that would graduate fully prepared to work for any of the companies in the Musk Industrial Complex.
Remember, Boring Company was not considered serious at first. 💯 would buy the merch.
His oldest two kids must also be nearing the age when they start university.

I bet he's picturing two big campuses. One in Dallas and Dripping Springs. That would attract talent! ;)

Reactions: FastCompany
I'm not sure this is a valuable feature set. We host. We put in a charger years before buying a car. Nobody found us because of this. We've charged one new owner that round us on an app and a guy that did not even bring his tesla at first that brought it when he saw the set up. But nobody from the app. And no hotels offer charging and no SC next 30 miles.

I recently planned a trip to the Blue Ridge GA area, searching first on VRBO, until I found there was no way to filter by EV charging. I Googled, found that I could do it on AirBnB by adding -94 (IIRC) to the end of the search string. I found a beautiful cabin by a bubbling brook, paid quite a bit more than I planned, but the freedom to be able to do day trips every day with a full charge was wonderful. So, from now on its AirBnB for me. I only wish hotel chains would also allow filtering for EV charging.

His oldest two kids must also be nearing the age when they start university.
Also, would not be Elon's first effort using a 'new' approach to education.
Synthesis teaches kids to thrive in complexity

"Six years ago, Elon Musk asked me to start an experimental school with him at SpaceX.

The goal was to develop students who are enthralled by complexity and solving for the unknown.

Synthesis is the most innovative learning experience from that school. It is designed to cultivate student voice, strategic thinking, and collaborative problem solving.

I believe Synthesis builds these skills like no other education experience.

Until recently, Synthesis was only available to a handful of SpaceX families. Today, our community is worldwide and growing quickly. Excited for you to be a part of it.

Josh Dahn
Cofounder & Creative Director"