Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction that is minimizing the ordinary tax liability at exercise. He wants to hold forever, so cap gains are deferred. But yes he wants to minimize his tax bill in dollars because borrow dollars against his shares to pay the tax bill.
No, Elon specifically said that he would sell stock to pay the tax liability. While he has the capacity to borrow that much money for the 2012 incentives, it won't be possible for the future 2018 incentives when they vest; it will exceed his allowed borrowing, so sooner or later he will do it anyway.

The notion of minimizing tax liability is fine so long as you aren't achieving it by minimizing your actual gain. You are suggesting hurting self interest just to spite the tax man. Also there is no reason to believe that Elon never plans to sell. To the contrary many years in the future he is likely to sell in order to fund his Mars plans.

For the amount of margin you seem to be using, you should be able to negotiate around 2%.

Personally, I make no attempt to pay off my margin. As long as my investment grows faster than the margin rate, I'm better off leaving it in TSLA.
That has a cost, and that is called risk, I believe? How many percent is anyone's guess.
And that, my friends, is what we are all playing here. Hate to brake it to you. Am I wright?

Me, now I skimmed off a very small slice of profit today, intending to somewhat reduce my shared mortgage. But don't panic. You do your own thing. And carry the consequences. As do I.

he has repeatedly stated (and when the time came in the past done) selling shares to pay his immediate tax bill, not borrowing to do so.

That's what he already said he'd do here as recently as last month.

So your analysis is incorrect and the Hacer one is accurate.

He basically does not care what the SP is when he exercises and sells to pay the tax, he's going to need to sell (roughly) 12.3 million shares no matter the stock price (assuming it doesn't crash 95% or something)
If he wants to avoid debt, that is up to him. Assuming Tesla will continue to gain in value, he can use debt to minimize his tax bill by exercising, borrowing to pay ordinary taxes, and then sell shares a year later to payback loan and incurred capital gains. I suspect he has other motivations to take a path that maximizes his taxes on ordinary income. Perhaps he is more sensitive to public criticism around not paying is fair share of taxes. It's perfectly fine if he choses to pay higher taxes.

Yeah I was talking about that We probably never revisite under $1000 again?
That'll get a big ol 🤷‍♂️ from me.

I think it just comes down to if Tesla keeps executing, stock isn't going under 1,000 again. The revenue and especially earnings growth for the next 8 straight quarters is too great to push the stock materially lower than where we're at today.

But like always, that's dependent on Tesla executing. They have a bad quarter for whatever reason and that 1,000 line in the sand goes out the window.

• Funny
Reactions: Drax7 and kbM3
CNBC - 2 hrs ago:

The one think I would like to see someone in these interviews say when it comes to competition is that it is one thing to announce vehicles, but it is another when the competition doesnt plan to make them in high volume. How can Ford compete with the Cybertruck and Rivian when they dont plan to hit 6 digit deliveries per year until 2025.

I don't like any CEO making public the deal or the negotiations that are happening between their clients or partners. It is perfectly fine to be very business like, firm with a no nonsense attitude - behind the scenes - with a prospective client or partner. But keep those private. If I were Hertz CEO, I would be upset with that kind of attitude displayed in public.
Yeah, maybe.
On the other hand, Elon is true to form. This is expected behaviour.
If not expected by Hertz, they have failed in their due diligence. So they are solely to blame.
They overplayed their hand, it seems.

That'll get a big ol 🤷‍♂️ from me.

I think it just comes down to if Tesla keeps executing, stock isn't going under 1,000 again. The revenue and especially earnings growth for the next 8 straight quarters is too great to push the stock materially lower than where we're at today.

But like always, that's dependent on Tesla executing. They have a bad quarter for whatever reason and that 1,000 line in the sand goes out the window.
I think a lot ppl sold cc and got burned in this runup. It’s dangerous to sell ccs. But who would thought tsla could have this epic run at 1t? Basically it’s a slam dunk. No other 1t companies ever did that before

I think a lot ppl sold cc and got burned in this runup. It’s dangerous to sell ccs. But who would thought tsla could have this epic run at 1t? Basically it’s a slam dunk. No other 1t companies ever did that before
my entire thesis is based on this simple statement: "i don't know what $TSLA will do in the short term, but i know what it will do in the long term."

so based on that, why on earth would i risk a sure thing to try to gamble money based on chart voodoo, especially when there are so many unknowable variables such as market maker chicanery, news stories, politics, etc that can launch or crash the stock in any given week? Nobody here or anywhere else is able to predict specific short-term future events, even though we all know the eventual outcome.

So that's what i bet on -- the eventual outcome. Buy and hold. No timing of anything necessary, other than being born at the right time.

Reactions: UCF3
I don't think Elon is a someone who can be arm twisted or steamrolled. But keep that brashness between two negotiating parties in private not display it in public. It is just poor manners except in very unique circumstances.
Perhaps.
But... Fields did go on multiple TV apperances and basked in the spotlight of the Tesla cool factor and insinuated that Tesla has "a real relation, not a transactional relation" i.e. strongly suggesting a kind-of partnership or BBFs.
Then the proceeded to go on yet more shows, stoking interest, talking about buying even more cars, and extra cars solely for Uber. And on and on.
Elon backed him - part of the way.
But Fields took it public - he drew first blood.

He may have been very right: The relationship between Herz is in fact not transactional because the transaction of striking an actual, codified deal via a contract has not yet occured.

We shall see if the 'interim' is divorced from his title - or he is.