Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not bad... not 1140, but not bad!

How's this? Over 1.0M chairs rearranged so far in the After-hrs session: $1,143.50 intraday high @ 5:35 PM (lots of contracts being excercised)

TSLA.2021-11-19.17-35.Hi.png

Cheers!

So, they could spin-off the EV side of the business to shareholder's while leaving all the debt and pensions on the books of the ICE side of the business? Then, when the ICE side goes bankrupt they can tell the pensioner's and debt holders, "We had no idea the transition to EV would be so quick. By our internal projections, our ICE business was still strong until 2035 and most of you would have been dead"?

I don't think that's gonna fly.
If you spin off a division, do the union and other financial woes go with it proportionally? I guess I'm asking if it's better to start a new company, and then 'give' the new company key parent resources, and also sell it the parent EV manufacturing assets cheap. No baggage, max potential, no liability if - whoops - the 'parent' company goes bankrupt.

Sooner or later the OEMs are going to be searching for such crisis contingency options, right?

I'm sure our TMC lawyers can speak to such scenarios..? (I can't keep track of everyone's specialties!)

Reactions: lafrisbee and MD70
Does anyone have a doc or link that shows major auto manufactures numbers in one place? I am trying to make the case for Tesla. Innovation, vertical integration, Gigacasting, 4680, and production ramp isn’t getting through to them. I need some icing on the cake.

Currently trying to build a chart for global units sales, 2020 revenue/net profit, total/net debt, auto/operating margin, ad spending, and 2020/2019 quarterly profit. For VW Group, Toyota, Daimler, Ford, GM, Stellantis, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, BMW, Volvo, and Peugeot. It’s taking a long time as one might expect.

Check out jpr007 on Twitter and their patreon site which has lots of stats and graphs. (You do not need to be a patreon supporter to access but recommend that you support as I do)

Also Holden investments report that came out some weeks ago. I posted the link in a previous post here.

Reactions: UCF3 and CatB
If you spin off a division, do the union and other financial woes go with it proportionally? I guess I'm asking if it's better to start a new company, and then 'give' the new company key parent resources, and also sell it the parent EV manufacturing assets cheap. No baggage, max potential, no liability if - whoops - the 'parent' company goes bankrupt.

Sooner or later the OEMs are going to be searching for such crisis contingency options, right?

I'm sure our TMC lawyers can speak to such scenarios..? (I can't keep track of everyone's specialties!)
Johnson and Johnson did this in Texas after the liability they racked up in the court case.

There’s been some talk about Joe Justice and his merits or lack thereof. On r/teslainvestorsclub, someone who claims to have worked at Tesla for 4 years claims that JJ is wildly exaggerating. His comments are worth reading just for the general info on management structure, and the differences between us and europe.

Back in very early 2013 I convinced my hair cutter, my gardner, and a handful of poor musician friends into buying TSLA at about $35 or $40 pre-split.

Coincidently, that same price (= $35.40 post-split) was available 6 yrs later on Jun 3, 2019 for the late bloomers.

Thanks, #SEC! You created a lot of Teslanaires (although I doubt that was your intention). :p

TSLA.chart.2019-06-03.png

Cheers!

I think its more likely that the usual voracious appetite for shorting has been curbed (there's a chill wind blowing on the shortzes right now).

There were 440K fewer TSLA short sales reported by FINRA today vs. yesterday, even though today's FINRA total volume was slightly higher. That's a decrease of 10% in short volume by retail traders vs. Thursday. Something's up (hint: and its not JUST the SP).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Yeah, if you want to torture credulity, you could come up with that theory. Here's another one:
  • the Big Three automakers have no battery supply, and won't get enough for >10 yrs
  • they're saddled with legacy ICE investments, Labor contracts, and lack competitive EV tech
  • so, those same Three go to the gov't asking them to declare 'hybrids are EVs', get their life support payments, and get to keep ICE burning while pretending to electrify
How does this end? Tesla cars will be SO MUCH better in 10 years that you won't be able to give away ICE, because Robotaxi is CHEAPER than insurance, plates, and maint. on a FREE ICE.

IE: no Cab driver would take a gas-burner even for free, because it's STILL more expensive than a Tesla.

It's truly the end of the ICE age.

Good riddance.
The next step I fear is the US Government declaring batteries a strategic national resource and allocating them as they see fit. Prior agreement would be null and void.

There’s been some talk about Joe Justice and his merits or lack thereof. On r/teslainvestorsclub, someone who claims to have worked at Tesla for 4 years claims that JJ is wildly exaggerating. His comments are worth reading just for the general info on management structure, and the differences between us and europe.

Thanks for sharing. A million dollar stock price should obviously be dismissed out of hand. That's a market cap of one quadrillion...unless one assumes that he meant pre-split prices, in which case it's a mere $200T.