Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would just find this sad for the Mission. Diess and Elon are sympatico, which means his ouster would be anti- carbon reduction for VW. Notwithstanding VW's dieselgate scandal, they are over of the only OEMs truly making a serious effort to switch to pure EVs.

Eh, I don't know that continually teetering on the edge of a no-confidence year after year is a good idea either.... every time they appeared to say they were staying with Diess it was almost immediately followed up with stories about how they're not actually willing to do much of what he's trying to get them to do or at the pace he wants to do it.

Otherwise Japan will be flooded with Chinese exports.

Diagree. There is no love lost between Japan and China and they will fiercely fight against their domestic market being flooded by Chinese EVs. There's hardly a more nationalist domestic market for anything in the developed world than Japan, and they'd rather keep down the path of futility (hybrids, H2) than let their market be flooded with BYD, BAIC, SIAC, Geely, XPENG etc. Also, consider the strange vehicle dimension limits in Japan are both useful for the cramped space, but also protectionist.

Party pooper mod: if anyone wants to discuss the Cyberquad for kids, they can create their own thread. And take the whistle with them too. So others don’t have to scroll through pages of jokes and chit-chat.
So now we can't discuss new products from the company because some people don't like jokes? The products produced aren't relevant to the company or it's performance?

Porsche owners are likely to be fairly influential in their neighbourhoods. They are all likely to be swapping to Teslas in the near future and won't hold back from telling everyone how much better their new Tesla is. Supercharger network being top of their list.
I feel no threat at all from porsche and their Taycan to Tesla, the market for EVs is just huge and untapped. The Taycan looks like a dedicated sports car while the MS, albeit faster, longer range, etc still has the look of a sedan. If people are dropping $200k on a car such as the Taycan, they want a porsche and something that resembles a sports car. I would prefer that everyone out there who owns a current porsche get rid of their ICE and get a taycan instead of prolonging the ICE automobiles.

That being said, I would take the article on battery recalls for the Taycan with a grain of salt, FUD is FUD and whatever 'data' is purported in an article on the internet, should be corroborated.

And as always, if anyone out there is reading and feels the need to cancel their CT order/reservation, i highly recommend it, thank you in advance. I'm in Texas and hence need the CT as soon as possible.

And I have 6,666 likes.

I feel no threat at all from porsche and their Taycan to Tesla, the market for EVs is just huge and untapped. The Taycan looks like a dedicated sports car while the MS, albeit faster, longer range, etc still has the look of a sedan. If people are dropping $200k on a car such as the Taycan, they want a porsche and something that resembles a sports car. I would prefer that everyone out there who owns a current porsche get rid of their ICE and get a taycan instead of prolonging the ICE automobiles.

That being said, I would take the article on battery recalls for the Taycan with a grain of salt, FUD is FUD and whatever 'data' is purported in an article on the internet, should be corroborated.

And as always, if anyone out there is reading and feels the need to cancel their CT order/reservation, i highly recommend it, thank you in advance. I'm in Texas and hence need the CT as soon as possible.

And I have 6,666 likes.
Sorry...I just "liked" your post.

So now we can't discuss new products from the company because some people don't like jokes? The products produced aren't relevant to the company or it's performance?
Yeah, a little confused by this. Tesla makes products....some we joke about but are still relevant to the company.

I suggest a class on scrolling past if one does not like a certain post.

All home charging is essentially trickle charging for a lithium-ion EV battery. Unless you have your own Supercharger (fast DC charger). No one does. The article made it clear the problem happens at "up to" 7.5 kW of charge power. So that would be 240V @ 32 amps or the maximum amount Porsche's US market mobile connector can deliver.

This was a mind-blowing revelation that Alex Voigt has delivered today. Not because I want to rub Porsche's nose in it but because the charges against Porsche rise to the level of consumer fraud. They are *very* serious charges. I just hope Alex hasn't been set up by the German auto industry (who would probably love for him to go away) to take a fall. If the charges are false and the 'whistle-blower' managed to convince Alex he was a real source when he was in fact a plant by someone covertly hired by someone in VW Group, it could cause quite a lawsuit. But Alex seems confident the whistle-blower is real. I just hope he's right.

With that out of the way, assuming the source is genuine and also knows what he's talking about, the revelation is really damaging for Porsche and it helps highlight what it means for Tesla to have a lead in batteries. For years Tesla naysayers have said Tesla has no lead in batteries and they always based this on the fact that Tesla did not manufacture their own cells. But, of course, they manufactured their own battery packs for over a decade and, perhaps more importantly, the software that runs the battery management systems. Now, of course, they make some of their own cells as well and that activity is set to explode in volume shortly. But this story highlights what happens when an ICE maker decides they have expertise in battery management because, how hard can it be? Red wire goes to "positive" and black wire goes to "negative", right?

@avoigt , good job on the major story! I would be interested to hear what kind of fall-out follows.
Thank you and I agree these are very serious allegations.

It took me many weeks and profound, intense, and critical validation, review, and verification with a small team including Teslarati, Christoph Krachten as well as one other major media to come to final conclusions to publish. After all information was brought together and validated it's been a clear decision to me that it's real and that I have the duty to publish it regardless if hard proof is found now, in years or never. Not publishing the story would have been irresponsible against all Taycan owners.

The scandal may be even bigger as the MEB platform from VW uses pouch cells too and we had 2 severe fires in Europe with an ID.3 and an ID.4 AC charging at low KW. It may or may not be related but its suspicious to me that the few fires that make it in the press are usually while the vehicle is charging in the early morning hours where you expect the battery to be filled and at low AC KW.

In addition to the article I have much more information I didn't get approval to publish from my source which is backing up the credibility but that's of course only helpful for people who know me as a credible Blogger, Author etc.

I consider publishing a YT video to give some more context and if more information is available I may write a follow-up story

1. It's been a while since I heard anything about Tesla's Austin lithium refinery, or the new NC lithium mine to be developed by an Australian company that has a contract with Tesla; or mining lithium salt in NV. Has there been any info I may have missed?

2. People assume that because OEM's and battery manufacturers talk less than Tesla about their plans that they're nowhere. GM and LG might be way behind Tesla in development of battery technology, but I don't think we know that.
49 pages of fine print and pretty pix.

49 pages of fine print and pretty pix.
TL;DR-
So? Is Piedmont out of the picture due to neighbor's NIMBY-ing as I think I ready somewhere a few weeks ago, or are they going to start producing Lithium?

MOD: Big-picture discussions on materials supply issues can be appropriate for this thread.

Nuts and bolts PARTICULARLY regarding a single company are not.

Take it to the “Resource Angle thread and no more discussion of Piedmont here, unless it unquestionably, singularly is relevant to TSLA, like a supply contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car and Driver (and others) give a real-world range of 280 miles while the EPA range is 225.

225/(1 - 0.2) = 281.25 so it's nearly an exact fit to explain the range discrepancy.

I said the range discrepancy is exaggerated. Who might exaggerate the range discrepancy?

You can start with those who depend upon illustrious brand names like Porsche for their funding. This is not a whacko conspiracy theory; it is well-established that companies who owe their existence to brands like Porsche are heavily biased in their favor. I can easily get better than EPA range in either of our Model 3's depending upon how I operate them also. My wife's nearly 4-year lifetime average consumption is below the EPA rated consumption and she is not even a hyper-miler and uses the heat all winter, every day. People just love to dis Tesla anyway they can get away with it.

It's a fallacy that Tesla's EPA range is inflated compared to other brands when talking about "real-world range". This is an area that is easy to cheat and difficult to disprove because the testing parameters are so subjective, and the tests are often done on days with wildly different temperatures. The EPA test, on the other hand, is a well-defined drive cycle and cheating comes with the risk that you will be caught and exposed. The rest is just anecdotal, informal 'testing' that they are calling "real world".

We know they don't give Tesla a fair shake in the editorial comments, why would you believe they suddenly become objective when doing 'real-world' range tests? And why would Porsche hobble their own results by not driving the car below 20% state-of-charge for the purposes of EPA range tests? It's a theory that makes zero sense. I shouldn't even have to take the time to explain this, and it amazes me how easily people believe garbage 'data' even when repeatedly shown how unfairly these organizations treat Tesla.

I'm sure Car and Driver's advertising customer (Porsche) felt they were getting good bang for their advertising money when they read C&D gave them a 'real world' range almost 20% better than their EPA rating. That was music to their ears. It helps to have friends in places like C&D, especially ones not bound by the strict parameters of EPA range tests! Anyone who still thinks C&D can be trusted to provide unbiased info is living in a delusion.

Last edited:
I would just find this sad for the Mission. Diess and Elon are sympatico, which means his ouster would be anti- carbon reduction for VW. Notwithstanding VW's dieselgate scandal, they are one of the only OEMs truly making a serious effort to switch to pure EVs.

And sad for the Mission beyond VW. The other German car CEOs aren’t know for being shining examples when it comes to electrification. If they like their cushy job, they will see their take it escargot slow strategy validated.