Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s fun. Do they need any other reason?

This is the company that shipped “Not a Flamethrower”.

Maybe they set up a baby production line at Giga Texas for this to make use of otherwise idle space which will be used for the truck later.

Mmm, but this thing uses cells, the one commodity that has held them back. To date, cars have outranked powerwalls in the pecking order due to higher value add.

Maybe the mini quad uses LFP and supplies of those are no longer so precious. It’s hard to adjust mentally - frivolity with such a traditionally prized good.

Bottom line, everything Elon does is a step towards Mars, either technologically, or financially, or by winning hearts and minds.

It may be as simple as cardboard. Experience with boxed goods. Bot will be such an item.

Party pooper mod: if anyone wants to discuss the Cyberquad for kids, they can create their own thread. And take the whistle with them too. So others don’t have to scroll through pages of jokes and chit-chat.

---

Edit: on second thought, go ahead and discuss the Cyberquad. Just don't go overboard.

Last edited:

Patent offices will probably consider Tesla's casting alloy to be unique.

Good video, well worth watching.
Based on the preliminary opinion on patentability, the claims 12-14 are patentable. This isn’t the last word (not in the least because this is a PCT applicatio. Patentability is decided on a national level (or regional, like A European patent). Tesla makes use of the services of less than competent patent firm. This application is yet another flawed one. In my opinion they should find another one.

The first claim is a free beer claim, a rookie mistake. In a claim you have to state the minimum requirements to achieve the goal stated in the description of the application. Those requirements are technical measures. Here the claim has as a measure: if something works, it is covered by this claim.

Based on the preliminary opinion on patentability, the claims 12-14 are patentable. This isn’t the last word (not in the least because this is a PCT applicatio. Patentability is decided on a national level (or regional, like A European patent). Tesla makes use of the services of less than competent patent firm. This application is yet another flawed one. In my opinion they should find another one.

The first claim is a free beer claim, a rookie mistake. In a claim you have to state the minimum requirements to achieve the goal stated in the description of the application. Those requirements are technical measures. Here the claim has as a measure: if something works, it is covered by this claim.
I think they had established that at least in the US, it was very unlikely that they infringed any other patents?

The most interesting part of the video IMO was how they were developing and testing the alloy, it suggests a nearly infinite array of possibilities with perhaps years or decades of improvement in the alloy similar to what is happening with steel.

Each incremental improvement in the alloy may only save a bit of money and a bit of weight, or reduce the percentage of incorrect casts..
But it is yet another area where Tesla can keep improving at a fairly rapid clip.

So this might be the first of many patents, I think the idea is to attempt to patent all viable combinations, before a competitor does.

If they don't have a good patent firm, I agree they should get one.

I think they had established that at least in the US, it was very unlikely that they infringed any other patents?

patent offices don’t deal with that. Infringement is about what you actually do, which a patent office has no knowledge about anyway. Prior art found in during patent examination could potentially be infringed, IF
- it is within the scope of an independent claim in the prior art patent as (eventually) granted
- it is still in force ( not lapsed due to non-payment of renewal fees; not revoked during an opposition procedure)
- valid in the country where you want to use the invention

There may also prior art not found during the stage where the examiner searches for prior art.
The most interesting part of the video IMO was how they were developing and testing the alloy, it suggests a nearly infinite array of possibilities with perhaps years or decades of improvement in the alloy similar to what is happening with steel.

great video. I did learn stuff.

So this might be the first of many patents, I think the idea is to attempt to patent all viable combinations, before a competitor does.

Yes, that is what is often done. However, your earlier patent application also becomes prior art and that subsequent invention will also have to be New (not hard) and Involve an inventive step (harder, especially if the prior art is your own work).

This is from the Taycan manual. There is nothing there about reducing the warranty because it’s parked for 2 weeks. Warranty is also for 100,000 miles and 8 years.

- 100% of net battery capacity on the date the car is first delivered to the first retail
purchaser or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car,
whichever comes first.
- 80% of net battery capacity within the first 3 years/37,500 miles, whichever occurs
first.
- 70% of net battery capacity within the first 8 years/100,000 miles, whichever occurs
first.

Edit: Taycan Warranty Manual
Tesla related: Any EV problem has the ability to

1) Slow down EV adoption, feed the FUD (negative for Tesla)
2) Reinforce (especially to fleet buyers) the advantages Tesla have (positive for Tesla)

This leads me to ponder if this is a limitation of pouch cells as currently manufactured? The competition is going to need LFP or cylinders, huge potential stress for competitors showing how Tesla has really thought things through.

page 7 of the linked manual

"This Warranty Does Not Cover: In addition to the limitations described in this New Car Limited Warranty, this high voltage battery warranty does not cover any damage to, malfunction of, or excessive loss of capacity of the high-voltage battery directly or indirectly caused by, due to, or resulting from abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage, or transport, including but not limited to any of the following:
Failure to observe the provisions relating to the operation, treatment and care of the vehicle (including information regarding the care and charging of the high-voltage battery) set out in the Owner’s Manual."

This is an image on twitter ( ), unable to verify if this is part of the Taycan Owner's Manual, but looks plausible:-

Stationary periods of 2 weeks plus:

Not in direct sunlight (even if plugged in)
If you can't plug in, keep the ambient temperature between 0 and 20 Celsius or 32 to 68 Fahrenheit - good luck with that (especially at an airport)

FFl9SOTXMAAKvj-

... Besides, the disparity you mention is mostly exaggerated and is nowhere near as large as it would be if the EPA range was using a 20% SOC hard limit.
Car and Driver (and others) give a real-world range of 280 miles while the EPA range is 225.

225/(1 - 0.2) = 281.25 so it's nearly an exact fit to explain the range discrepancy.

Just me, and I go off topic all the time, but I really don't need to know the warranty details of the Toycan. Its enough to understand that Porsche has a huge battery recall on pouch related batteries. The real story to me is that yet another pouch battery issue has arisen. How many of the EV battery plants out there are planned for pouch batteries vs cylindrical?

Just me, and I go off topic all the time, but I really don't need to know the warranty details of the Toycan. Its enough to understand that Porsche has a huge battery recall on pouch related batteries. The real story to me is that yet another pouch battery issue has arisen. How many of the EV battery plants out there are planned for pouch batteries vs cylindrical?
Even though I put the detail up there (largely to try & stop lots of back and forth), I agree that those are the main points (although Porsche MAY have a recall is probably more accurate).

Pouch-cell risk isn't a risk for Tesla, except that it may be food for general EV Fud. As far as share prices, Tesla excecution, Tesla has again shown it's made the right choices from First-Principles reasoning rather than existing parts bin/supplier availability.

Those who rely on pouch cells (car & cell manufacturers) are in for a shock in my opinion.

Even though I put the detail up there (largely to try & stop lots of back and forth), I agree that those are the main points (although Porsche MAY have a recall is probably more accurate).

Pouch-cell risk isn't a risk for Tesla, except that it may be food for general EV Fud. As far as share prices, Tesla excecution, Tesla has again shown it's made the right choices from First-Principles reasoning rather than existing parts bin/supplier availability.

Those who rely on pouch cells (car & cell manufacturers) are in for a shock in my opinion.
Yes, it was interesting to read and then re-read the various interviews with the team that sussed out the battery fire issues and worked out a solution to manage heat in the battery packs and simultaneously rejected pouch as dangerous.

Knowing that...why would you still commit billions to pouch batteries if you are LG/SK GM VW etc.

Prismatic LFP would be a far better solution for GM/Ford/VW etc but I guess a patent has held up the production of those til 2022 in the USA. At this point I cannot see the battery capacity to enable meaningful EV production in non pouch battery formats outside of Tesla. A few influencer type people raising a tirade against pouch batteries and I think you'd redfine shopping experience for EV purchase to those cars with non pouch packs.

There might be something to the Porsche battery story.

For what it is worth, analog voltage measurements have to be converted to digital format to process them in a computer. The device used to do this is an analog to digital converter.

The digital output has a finite number of discrete steps. The number of steps that the device is capable of are typically smeared over the measurement range.

If you use the same device to measure 800V as is used for 400V, the step size will be twice as large - perhaps too coarse for ideal operation.

There might be something to the Porsche battery story.

For what it is worth, analog voltage measurements have to be converted to digital format to process them in a computer. The device used to do this is an analog to digital converter.

The digital output has a finite number of discrete steps. The number of steps that the device is capable of are typically smeared over the measurement range.

If you use the same device to measure 800V as is used for 400V, the step size will be twice as large - perhaps too coarse for ideal operation.
Good thinking. It might also explain why such a small extra cost solves it. Does anyone know how many bits the Audi charger unit operates on vs the Porsche one ? Which would be a piece of public-domain evidence that might corroborate (or not) Alex's article.

(That Porsche warranty is ewk. On that basis no Porsche owner can ever park outside or take a long holiday. And they will need to re-read the Owners Manual substituting CAN and SHOULD with MUST and SHALL.)

Yep, there are a lot of things in that article that just seem plain wrong. For example:
  • I haven't seen a single EV pack where a cell, or module, can be disabled like the article claims Porsche is doing.
    • They just aren't wired that way. (I haven't seen the Porsche pack so I don't know for sure that they didn't go to this great expense and complication but I highly doubt that they did that.)
  • It says almost all BEVs charge in parallel, but yet every one I know of charges cells in series.
    • Again, they just aren't wired in a way to make that possible.
So at this point I am leaning to it being FUD. (Or there was a lot lost in translation between the real information and what made it into the article.)
I'm not seeing an issue:

Gruber cuts out cells on Roadster blades to repair packs.
Roadster - ESS Main Battery Pack Services 2 | Gruber Motors

Electrically, cells within a group charge in parallel. Linguistically, all cells charge simultaneously which is synonymous with 'in parallel' as opposed to sequentially (or half of the 800V pack at a time to match 400V chargers which is not how this system works)

As to the process: Taycan is a 2p setup so they can cut out the problem cell and its mate, then jumper around them. If the pack is under rated in terms of capacity, then this mod can be hidden by a software calibration tweak.

As to the potential root cause: When a pack is nearing full charge, the key parameter is the voltage on the highest SOC cell. The charger must throttle back current to ensure this cell does not exceed design spec. If the charger output exceeds the BMS balance capability, then the cells will be overcharged.
Possibly, the charger does not regulate current output well enough (inherent issue or poor regulation from mains fluctuations).
A current reading of less than its actual output would be my guess. Resolution of measurement (precision) is less critical than accuracy (or at least the correct bias of accuracy). Better for the output to be undercurrent/ undervoltage than over.

Last edited: