Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It Is a bit unclear to me if rear wheel drive only is no longer a CT option?

A standard dual motor rear unit with steering ability makes sense as a standard on all CT. This mitigates the added complexity of steering by the removal of the differential. This would be the 2 motor version In this thinking.

Once the rear is decided as a standard, the question is the forward drive unit. One motor front drive unit might be a good option since it is already in production.

Going to a dual motor front drive unit is new engineering. Adding drive by wire would also be new. If drive by wire is already a settled decision then engineering a new dual motor unit drive unit at the same time makes some sense also for possible reasons I won’t go into.

Engineering a dual motor steerable drive unit would have multiple applications beyond todays product line and would possibly extend drive by wire to more products and increase standardization.

I believe Elon has CT in his thinking because soon must be pencils down as to design. The fact that the drive unit configuration is still in discussion reflects that pencils have been busy until recently IMO.

Extended design window is fine in this instance because the construction of the factory is still fluid as to the CT. A gift.

Drive by wire would be big and would influence many design decisions. It might be particularly difficult given present supply chain constraints.

It would be great to have a documentary focused on the CT development process from the metal up.
Removing differentials on vehicles used in off road situations is a great move- one less critical error point and this is just from the user POV, from a manufacturing POV I'd expect that to be equally helpful and from an economic POV it would provide at least some savings. I hope they are cognizant of the need to harden the armor around the motor housings. Speaking from experience of one who has smashed his differential in a field by hitting a well placed impossible to see rock. Broke both cap bearing bolts on passenger axle. Amazing that the truck would still drive and, sadly, I was able to/had to repair with new bolts while looking for a good salvage replacement (sadly because I had to do it..poverty is a cruel mistress but I love my work). Because there are so many f350/250's in the world finding one is really not an issue and I can be picky.

Weekend tidbit: December is the last month before the benefit in kind changes in the Netherlands (will become the same as ICE), so an uptick in EV sales is to be expected. While these numbers cover only the first two days of the month, 49.5% of the cars were (pure) BEV. (The annual percentage will be about 20%). More remarkable is the large number of models that is available. 816 cars counted 106 models (where by way of example all variants of Model 3 count as one model).

Here is the full list:

In what way? Single motor has two shafts coming out of a differential, dual would have two shafts coming out of separate gear boxes, just like the rear of current Plaid. Engineering differences would seem relatively minor to me. Also Rimac already does this.
Well adding steering. Interesting they will be adding steering to the rear.

If they really go for steer by wire the front and rear assembly on the quad motor in theory could be the same. This in itself would save a lot of cost.

Well adding steering. Interesting they will be adding steering to the rear.

If they really go for steer by wire the front and rear assembly on the quad motor in theory could be the same. This in itself would save a lot of cost.
This would be interesting and gets to other possibilities.

I am taking a few steps forward but imagine a new class of vehicle that could be (I don’t know the correct word) driven in either direction equally.

I am thinking of boring company vehicles that are multi pod articulated and reversible. This desigh would be of high utility on Mars substituting for trains initially.

I haven't seen any signs that Tesla has any concern about competing with the F-150 Lightning or the Rivian. To me it looks like Tesla is just streamlining production. When they started costing everything out, they just said, "It makes a lot more sense to configure them like this." It might be related to the other change, the move from front-only steering to all-wheel steering.

Assuming the rumors are true, of course.

Taycan running amuk in Nurburgring ... NO CAN DO ;)
Rivan, Hummer doing the crab walk with 4 motors ... NO CAN DO ;)

that's the Elon/Tesla way :) focus on product and make it far superior to competition ... no marketing gimmicks!!

Last edited: