Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see the hypocrisy here. All automakers benefited equally from the subsidies that Tesla had access to. But the difference is that all but Tesla squandered this, wasting public funds and still woefully under prepared to be competitive in the BEV market. For the government to throw good money at the companies that are most resistant to real change is not going to meet with better outcomes this decade than it did last decade. They only thing that will truly accelerate the transition to sustainable transport is for ICE makers to go out of business and allow competitive EV makers to fill the void in the new car market.

The faster oil, gas, coal and ICE vehicle producers go out of business, the sooner the climate emergency will be addressed.
Only Tesla and GM dont have access to the credits. This is giving back to Tesla and an overwhelmingly underprepared GM. The only vehicle eligible for the full credit (if the Senate allows the union portion to stay) is the Chevy Bolt which has been Pinto'd.

II too was looking to buy a MY in early 2022, but the constant price increases this year bothered me as well. It excited me as an investor, but bothered me as a soon to be customer.

However, I eventually shrugged that off and ordered my LR MY six weeks ago and now I'm going to pick up my first Tesla ever tomorrow. In the end I decided to stop waiting for the new government rebate and even take the price hike hits as well and simply order my car. I figure I should own the product I'm investing in, right? Plus life is short and I've made a LOT of money from my TSLA investments, realistically I can afford to give Tesla a little bit back. I even decided to give my Crosstrek to my mother instead of trading it in and pay even MORE for the MY out of pocket than I wanted to! So I'm taking financial hits all over this MY purchase, I'm going all in!

It's good to be prudent and wise with investing and finances, but in my opinion we have to remember to enjoy the fruits of our labors from time to time too.
That is my perspective as well. If investing in TSLA has made you (on paper) better off than you'd ever imagined, why not get what you really want and help grow margins even higher? Which may boost SP a bit in the next few years and even cover the extra cost.

What I'd like to know is how the current est. delivery date for a LR MY is July 2022, but your order was delivered in six weeks!
I'll order my MY early next year when Austin is ramping. It sounds like I may as well throw a dart at a large wall calendar and go with the month
it lands on as the likely date of delivery!

People keep mischaracterizing his comments here as well. He said he would like all subsidies ended, including oil and gas. That would greatly assist any company that is actually trying to sell EVs, and would be FAR more effective than keeping the status quo and giving the UAW extra money to sell hybrids.
Yes he did, but as expected the media is running with just killing the BBB bill. Not to mention it is easier to combat climate change, while getting people in Alabama vaccinated, while getting an abortion in Texas, and putting out a wildfare with a squirt gun in California then it will be to get rid of all subsidies.

Last edited:
People keep mischaracterizing his comments here as well. He said he would like all subsidies ended, including oil and gas. That would greatly assist any company that is actually trying to sell EVs, and would be FAR more effective than keeping the status quo and giving the UAW extra money to sell hybrids.

More so than that, he is talking 3 TRILLION worth of subsidies, the entire BBB plan.

Looking even bigger picture than oil/gas/ev subsidies.

Don't write checks we don't have cash to pay for was his overall message.

• Helpful
Reactions: Duffer and Lessmog
My Plaid X, which I changed to a 6-seat config at the Tesla rep’s urging as he promised 2021 delivery with the higher-priced seats, just had its estimated delivery updated from January to…February.

They supposedly delivered a few starting a month ago, but the rollout seems to have stalled since then. A skim of the TMC MX board and the waiting room thread shows that my experience is par for the course.

While I really want it, I don’t need it, so I can deal. But the communication hasn’t been great, which is a little disappointing (but unfortunately not surprising).

I wanted it now for the Christmas light show more than anything. I have a MY, but it’s just not the same without the gull wing doors.

View attachment 741951
Yeah, I'm in not rush as I already have an XP100DL+, but was looking forward to what it likely a far better car than mine rusty old 2016 build

At least the wife's M3P arrives on 23rd December, tbh I envisage driving that more than my X

What I'd like to know is how the current est. delivery date for a LR MY is July 2022, but your order was delivered in six weeks!

I have a theory about that. The car I'm going to get tomorrow was built in the last week of October, it's a 2021 MY. Tesla has been building 2022 MY's since the first week of November, so this car has been around for six weeks, so someone else likely turned it down. I feel it's either:

1) They couldn't afford to take it, or maybe they were waiting for the new rebate,
OR
2) They rejected it for some quality reason.

Either way I'm checking it over with a fine tooth comb before I press that accept delivery button. It is (will be?) my first Tesla though, so my fingers are crossed!

On topic and on the plus side I'll be adding to the Q4 numbers personally!!!! :D

Before reading the article, I thought it would be very interesting to see Buttigieg and Musk on the same stage talking about the big issues in transportation, but if the article fairly represents what Buttigieg said, perhaps it wouldn’t actually be that interesting. I’m inclined to believe Buttigieg’s remarks were written well before knowing what Elon would say, and he now has the feeling he should sharpen his arguments.
The only point that really holds is the second one. Subsidies make EVs more affordable to lower income families. This is a demand side effect. What they don't necessarily do is speed up the supply of EVs. So there is a fundamental policy disconnect where the the most efficient and aggressively growing EV maker is supply constrained and policies that only boost demand for vehicles.

Additionally, subsidizing cheaper cars runs contrary to policies that would support mass transit. If we want more people to use mass transit or bicycles etc., why fill the freeways with cheap, subsided cars? The US has about 840 vehicles per 1000 residents. Secretary Pete should be articulating a path that takes this down to 800 or lower. So the objective of making any car more affordable is problematic.

That is my perspective as well. If investing in TSLA has made you (on paper) better off than you'd ever imagined, why not get what you really want and help grow margins even higher? Which may boost SP a bit in the next few years and even cover the extra cost.

I'll order my MY early next year when Austin is ramping. It sounds like I may as well throw a dart at a large wall calendar and go with the month
it lands on as the likely date of delivery!
You might get too accurate with a large calendar. May I suggest a small one?

Kind of a blah day, so I'll share something good. One of my groups of friends are all hard core car guys. They work in the industry selling superchargers, or body work etc. and are the types who get in there and rebuild their own engines without a thought. Got this text the other night from one of them about the Plaid. (spoiler tag to respect the scroll space)
Untitledasiohjdfsdf.png

Barron's - 10:23 EST: Tesla Could Be Worth $1.6 Trillion. Catalysts Are Coming.

Excerpts:

...Ferragu took his price target past Zhu’s Wednesday, setting it at $1,580, up from a recent price target of $1,298. That’s the new highest mark on Wall Street and values the company at about $1.6 trillion...

...Still, “multiple strong catalysts” in 2022 can drive shares higher in coming months, wrote Ferragu in his Wednesday report. Those include: an upside fourth quarter, strong production from Tesla’s Shanghai facility, new production capacity coming online in Germany and Texas, and new batteries for Tesla EVs...

Kind of a blah day, so I'll share something good. One of my groups of friends are all hard core car guys. They work in the industry selling superchargers, or body work etc. and are the types who get in there and rebuild their own engines without a thought. Got this text the other night from one of them about the Plaid. (spoiler tag to respect the scroll space)
But did he measure the panel gaps, though? /s

If neuralink restores those impaired in the next year,
will it have a halo effect on Tesla stock?

Just saying.
Well, one would hope so in alternate universe.

Media is scum and beyond. SpaceX has been doing great things. For example latest Inspiration4 mission which was monumental got zero proper coverage in that 'media', yet BlahOrgin 'trip' was filmed and shown many times.

I expect the same to happen when NeuraLink shows something extraordinary. 'Media' will focus on negatives only and warn everybody of possible "dangers"

You get the picture.

Well, one would hope so in alternate universe.

Media is scum and beyond. SpaceX has been doing great things. For example latest Inspiration4 mission which was monumental got zero proper coverage in that 'media', yet BlahOrgin 'trip' was filmed and shown many times.

I expect the same to happen when NeuraLink shows something extraordinary. 'Media' will focus on negatives only and warn everybody of possible "dangers"

You get the picture.
in my view if successful , Elon will rise to a god like status.

Before reading the article, I thought it would be very interesting to see Buttigieg and Musk on the same stage talking about the big issues in transportation, but if the article fairly represents what Buttigieg said, perhaps it wouldn’t actually be that interesting. I’m inclined to believe Buttigieg’s remarks were written well before knowing what Elon would say (and thus the article title is hooey, imagine that) and he now has the feeling he should sharpen his arguments.
Oh it would be 'interesting'..........bring the popcorn..........but don't offer to bring popcorn for everyone else as there would be at least 100 Million viewers. And don't bother with bringing the brooms either, as Elon would be sweeping the stage up with our Transportation Secretary - most particularly with his response to the last point Buttigieg tried to make in his presentation:

Buttigieg from the article "........And third, the importance of making sure that this electric-vehicle revolution is made in America and creating good-paying jobs. And, of course, we believe in the benefits of union jobs.”

This is again another gross misrepresentation of all Tesla/Elon have accomplished in the EV industry, and it is an insult to the entire Tesla team world-wide, to every Tesla owner, and to every Long here on TMC. And Buttigieg delivered this message after Elon's interview, so Elon was not able to address it directly. Elon would love to pounce on this, and his response would be quick and to the point - very similar to his response that we should just can the whole BBB. He would - and should - simply say:

* The 'electric-vehicle revolution' is already made in America - by Tesla - with Tesla selling over 2/3rds of the EV's produced
* The 'electric-vehicle revolution' is already creating good-paying jobs - by Tesla - with Tesla providing better salary and benefit packages than equivalent union jobs
* Tesla does not believe in the benefits of union jobs because.....well, see above...........and Tesla employees have rejected unionizing on multiple occasions.

Elon's delivery in conversations/interviews makes many people feel uncomfortable, because he says what is hard to hear, and he speaks very directly, as he did on many occasions during his WSJ interview that left the interviewer reaching for a response that could segue to the next question. This 'debate' would happen the same way........which is why it will never happen. These points would be made swiftly - probably from a SpaceX or Tesla office via live feed - and then Elon would get back to work. People suggest Elon speaks this way only because of his Asperger's syndrome. I disagree. Elon's method of communication is to the point, to ensure the point is understood and not lost in trying to make the facts more palatable. His goal is to move the planet towards a more sustainable future, nothing less.

1638979801601.png

1638979838802.png

Attachments

• 1638979615807.png
    1638979615807.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 52
Oh it would be 'interesting'..........bring the popcorn..........but don't offer to bring popcorn for everyone else as there would be at least 100 Million viewers. And don't bother with bringing the brooms either, as Elon would be sweeping the stage up with our Transportation Secretary - most particularly with his response to the last point Buttigieg tried to make in his presentation:

Buttigieg from the article "........And third, the importance of making sure that this electric-vehicle revolution is made in America and creating good-paying jobs. And, of course, we believe in the benefits of union jobs.”

This is again another gross misrepresentation of all Tesla/Elon have accomplished in the EV industry, and it is an insult to the entire Tesla team world-wide, to every Tesla owner, and to every Long here on TMC. And Buttigieg delivered this message after Elon's interview, so Elon was not able to address it directly. Elon would love to pounce on this, and his response would be quick and to the point - very similar to his response that we should just can the whole BBB. He would - and should - simply say:

* The 'electric-vehicle revolution' is already made in America - by Tesla - with Tesla selling over 2/3rds of the EV's produced
* The 'electric-vehicle revolution' is already creating good-paying jobs - by Tesla - with Tesla providing better salary and benefit packages than equivalent union jobs
* Tesla does not believe in the benefits of union jobs because.....well, see above...........and Tesla employees have rejected unionizing on multiple occasions.

Elon's delivery in conversations/interviews makes many people feel uncomfortable, because he says what is hard to hear, and he speaks very directly, as he did on many occasions during his WSJ interview that left the interviewer reaching for a response that could segue to the next question. This 'debate' would happen the same way........which is why it will never happen. These points would be made swiftly - probably from a SpaceX or Tesla office via live feed - and then Elon would get back to work. People suggest Elon speaks this way only because of his Asperger's syndrome. I disagree. Elon's method of communication is to the point, to ensure the point is understood and not lost in trying to make the facts more palatable. His goal is to move the planet towards a more sustainable future, nothing less.

View attachment 741973
View attachment 741976
Still think the best thing Elon could do and it can be both friendly and clear up the truth is sending out a very public invitation to attend the opening of the Model Y assembly line at the worlds largest Electric Vehicle Factory Gigafactory Texas. Like full page advertisements in Washington Post, NY Times and other publications.