Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They should've built GF4 in The Netherlands, that would've gone much smoother!

oh, wait..

Activists ignore emergency order, chain themselves to trees at Nedcar car factory​

In Born, activists have attached themselves with ropes to trees in the Sterrebos. Part of the forest may have to make way for the expansion of the adjacent Nedcar car factory. According to the activists, old trees are in danger of being cut down and the habitat of deer, badgers and bats is threatened.

An emergency ordinance was in force around the car factory until 9 a.m., but the activists managed to reach the forest anyway and tied themselves to the trees dressed as bats.

source: Actievoerders negeren noodbevel, ketenen zich aan bomen bij autofabriek Nedcar

And I am looking forward later this year to a new comp plan that would top out when EBITDA reaches half a trillion and market cap reaches 10 trillion.

Elon doesn't need another CEO compensation plan. There isn't enough original concept and execution risk to justify another, wot, 10% of TSLA's equity.

I will vote against any such proposal, if Tesla's BoD's is so inclined to propose one. I don't think they will. Elon is already adequately incentivized for continued TSLA growth due to his existing 20%+ stake in the company.

I see Elon wanting to spend his time working on his Mars colony project, not working full-time for Tesla. Better that the next CEO is more singularly focused. Elon will doubtless continue as Chief Product Architect. I suspect that's why Teslabot will be used on Mars.

I agree with both of you.

Now that TSLA is in the S&P500, funds own TSLA. These funds, such as pension funds, are tasked with managing, protecting and increasing people's savings -- people who have worked hard in their lives to build a nestegg. Millions of people rely on these funds to make a somewhat reasonable and predictable return to pay for their pensions. This is just one example why the cavalier attitude towards the stockprice is no longer appropriate.

I'm not asking to pump. I'm not asking for lies. I'm not even asking for spin. BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS ALREADY GREAT. I'm asking for qualitatively good (= CLEAR) communication with this responsibility in mind, and a mere 5 minutes of preparation before the earnings call to discuss what will be communicated and how.

Just not make it muddy. Take all the other nerdy crazy stuff for which WS analysts lack intellectual capacity to Twitter or separate events.

It's time to grow up and take this responsibility. Because this responsibility will only increase with Tesla hopefully becoming investment grade and the next wave of funds starting to buy in.

Max

Disclosure: Yes I'm levered and yes it hurts. I'm mostly in DITM LEAPS so I don't think I'll lose my money. I converted the rest of my common stock into DITM LEAPS yesterday at around $830. Will I be fine? Will we be fine? Definitely as long as the execution of the core business continues as it has.

Good post: You managed to capture the TSLA / S&P500 / investment grade issue that requires maturity in communication for specific events that are intended to speak to that very audience. No pumping, no lies, no obfuscating, no spin. But also no content that the audience doesn't understand or care for.

Today's price action was very weird. I didn't think Tesla would hit the technical targets I talked about on the back of good macros but everything managed to get to go exactly there.

Lol, why? Options pricing w. 24 hrs to go before the Earnings report indicated an +/- 10.4% move in the SP. Did you think hedgies would let the SP go up after they were beat so bad on their Earnings estimates? :p

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: JustSaying
It seems to me that the Optimus Sub Prime development project is not closely aligned with mission of Tesla. Some will disagree of course.

It may be prudent to consider possible scenarios where this project is split off as a separate business entity in order to more properly recognize value.

Would this make sense and how would Tesla shareholders benefit If this made sense?

Here's what happened:

Yes, traditional money on Wall Street, funds, money managers, etc. think in a very formal, regimented, restricted manner. I call it stupid although they are not really stupid (but that is essentially how it plays out in situations like these). They have to model the most likely earnings looking forward to assign value to the shares today. They cannot model things that don't fit their model. That means any talk of humanoid robots they don't know what to do with. Any talk of FSD, they cannot put in their spreadsheet. How do you model "nutty"? But the worst part is, once Elon said the economy car was not being worked on and the Cybertruck has a somewhat nebulous timeline, they can't model revenues for those things either. And they can't understand that the market has huge ability to absorb far more Model 3's and Model Y's than current sales/production. So they can't model that many of each car model because that would make both of them the best-selling cars, period. Gas or electric Yet EV's are only 6% of global sales. They can't compute this. They think Tesla needs more car models to distribute the volume of sales Tesla is forecasting because that's how the auto industry works.

That means TSLA ownership is only for those who "get it". Meanwhile Tesla will continue to build production capacity which will result in quarter after quarter of record sales. As the new factories ramp into efficient production their margins will be crazy high because they didn't spend a bunch of money spreading their production around more models than necessary. He even told us the 4680 cells are ramping up as we speak, both in-house and at partner factories, and it flew right over the heads of those who sold/decided not to buy. Remember, it's all about the batteries.

I can't say how long it will take for the price to recover, but eventually reality will start to sink in and the price will get bid back up. My feeling is Elon purposefully disenfranchised anyone too idiotic to see what is happening right before their eyes. He really doesn't give a flying frack because he doesn't want to work for people like that (yes, he works for shareholders). He knows he is going to make a lot of people very wealthy and he thinks it's better if it goes to the kind of people he likes rather than those he despises. The beauty of all this is it didn't require anything but pure honesty from Elon. Sure, he might have hammed it up a little bit but essentially, he was giving us the straight scoop on how nutty the profits are going to be and giving the finger to those he doesn't like.

But that's not all. Elon works his magic by taking actions that solve multiple things at once. And a low share price is good for Tesla's next phase of expansion in terms of attracting talent. Elon doesn't give all this much thought because he's a visionary. He just sees the future he wants to create and takes steps that sets big things in motion, that pushes towards the desired outcome. It's not a cold, calculated, if A, then B. This is what vision is and he doesn't fret over the details. He doesn't see this in words in his mind, it happens in cascades of visions. It's the source of his particular form of magic. It's not really magic but the superior results he delivers can make it look like magic to someone who doesn't understand how he can accomplish so much, how things seem to go his way an inordinate amount of the time.

A conventionally thinking CEO judges they did a good job on a conference call if the share price rises during and after the call. Higher share price is good, right? Success! Elon takes a bigger view. He did well on the call if he sets off a chain of events that allows greater success down the road. He needs to get the dominoes lined up. Because he knows true success is not a high share price. True success is hard. It's the success that made that high share price possible and we are still in the early stages. I'm sure there is a lot more depth to his vision than I'm even aware of. He's probably killing 3 or 4 birds with one stone, Part of it might simply be because it's more fun being CEO of Tesla when he can draw out the doubters and naysayers and them give them a good slapping. He's not worried because he knows the share price will eventually take care of itself.

It's not the first time he's done this. Those who like non-volatile stocks or need some handholding on future projections can shop elsewhere, for everyone else, it's a buying opportunity. This is why I focus on the company's execution rather the share price.
Meanwhile, GM is leading the US by promising a bagillion diff models, bc thats how many it’ll take to attract the same type of demand tesla can generate w 2 models 😂😂

It seems to me that the Optimus Sub Prime development project is not closely aligned with mission of Tesla. Some will disagree of course.

It may be prudent to consider possible scenarios where this project is split off as a separate business entity in order to more properly recognize value.

Would this make sense and how would Tesla shareholders benefit If this made sense?
BEVs are a logical solution for wheeled mobility off-Earth as well as on-Earth, so that is perfectly aligned with Tesla's mission
Optimus is a logical solution for industrial use on-Earth, and also off-Earth, so that is perfectly aligned with Tesla's mission (commercial & domestic use is a freebie)
Optimus requires the application of FSD+ (where + is off-highway) and of Dojo/etc for the learning cycle, so cannot be easily taken outside of Tesla
Personally I think there will be a divisional structure of some sort at Tesla one day, indeed we see the beginnings in the P&L
- Tesla Automotive
- Tesla Networks (S&S, Superchargers)
- Tesla Energy
- Tesla Finance
- Tesla Autonomy
In due course HVAC will get added to Powerwall/etc, if only because that is a functionality that is also required off-Earth as well as on-Earth, but no rush

Optimus is so huge and so closely connected to everything Tesla does - it belong with Tesla.

AGI, Software, battery, production, everything is connected.

Optimus success will decrease cost to all production worldwide, if successful it could mean cheaper resources in general.

Access to enough raw material is the limiting factor for EV growth in the long term - cheaper raw materials will make it easier to lower EV cost and help the mission over all.

I shared a twitter post about FSD which got deleted :)
reason " violates rule of posting tweet without explanation" I did not know there was such a rule in the 1st place.

what explanation was needed? when the original poster has provided a chart. You guys be the judge.
, it has a chart.

Typing up extra prose for the obvious is to much work for me.
Was just trying to share something about FSD that I thought was note worthy.

Going forward do we need to write a summary/one liner for every tweet we share?
Pls explain the rules and I will abide. Hope those in charge also abide by the same rules then. Thanks in advance

+ once in a while I do see some of my posts getting deleted, many times I agree, but some times as above i am surprised that it gets deleted. Others post and their stuff is allowed to stay. So hope it's nothing personal. :)

Last edited:
reason " violates rule of posting tweet without explanation" I did not know there was such a rule in the 1st place.

what explanation was needed? when the original poster has provided a chart. You guys be the judge.
, it has a chart.

Pls explain the rules and I will abide. Hope those in charge also abide by the same rules then. Thanks in advance

+ once in a while I do see some of my posts getting deleted, many times I agree, but some times as above i am surprised that it gets deleted. Others post and their stuff is allowed to stay. So hope it's nothing personal. :)
Forum mods haven’t upgraded to tesla bot oversight just yet. Be patient w them :)

Last edited:
Elon admitted that freely during AI day, and shortly afterward on twitter. So what? It is a natural expansion of the mission.

Do you realize that C-3 plant photosynthesis is only 2% efficent at converting sunlight to carbohydrates? And that the animals which eat that stored energy are only 25% metabolic efficiency?

And that educated adults take 18+ years of energy consumption before they produce any useful work, for working life of only ~2x their childhood, Then only work a 30% duty cycle (w/o counting sick leave).

Then spend another 1x of time in energy consumption (or greater if obtained wealth) in idle retirement? (Guilty!)

That means human labor is about 0.02*0.25*0.25*0.30 = 0.0375% efficenct at converting solar energy into work, not counting the time cost of new units of labor.

Invert that, and you could estimate the for the energy required for 1 human lifetime of labor, you could have about 2,667 Teslabots.

Except on Mars of course, where their 125 lbs weight makes them about half as expensive to transport vs humans. But they don't breath, eat, or drink on the 8 month spaceflight, and don't need a guaranteed return ticket to Earth. So even more compelling to send robots workers to Mars.

Tell me again how Teslabot doesn't enhance the mission of accelerating the switch to sustainable energy? Elon is trained as an Economist (Warton School of Business graduate). He understands the cost of labor. Do you understand why he's talking about it now so extensively?

Tesla is already famously known as being like 12 startup companies operating as one. Why is Teslabot different? It's primary use will be in manufacturing, and likely even as SuperCharger charging attendants vs. 'Snake-charger'. Teslabot is a natural fit, forfills a current need, and is built from solid, pre-existing technology. Splitting them off just adds to net taxes payable, and complicates the rapid developement cycle. DOJO will be critical to training Teslabot. Should Tesla split it off too? Or charge them for AI training services, and pay taxes on the income?

TL;dr No.

I wrote a critical post yesterday regarding my disdain for Elon speaking at the ER (and the carnage that ensued) and a desire for him to not do that again in future.

Not unexpectedly it received many downvotes and some ridicule.
The ridicule was centered on the last part of my post related to the fact that I trade options to generate some income, and many were suggestions that if I don't like it, I should sell and go away.
No one bothered to engage with the actual comment I was making.

I've slept on it.

And I stand firm by my comment: Elon should be banned from talking at ERs - Zach should do all the talking.
Product road-maps, etc. should be given alternative platform where Elon can talk. He does so anyways on Twitter to his 71M followers, podcasts, interviews etc.

To be clear: I am 100% all-in on TSLA. It is the only stock I own and, apart from my home, my only asset.

My ASP is in the $170 region and I've never sold a share - I would suggest that this qualifies me as a HODLer, especially in the eyes of the "if you don't like it, sell" crowd here.
I have a full-time job, a family with two kids, and I trade options on TSLA to generate additional income. I use a part of this income to add to my TSLA position. I always make bullish trades - means, I am bullish on TSLA and attempt to profit from those that are not. If anyone cares, you can head over to the other thread and see my posts there - I'm not a high-risk trader.

In the days leading up to ER, the close we got, the number of you here - and many of the long-term, high frequency posters included - were posting (humorous?) comments about being afraid of what would happen if Elon said the wrong thing during the ER.

And then he goes and does just that - and a critical post on just the carnage that that caused is shot down by the very same posters.

I really think many of us who are on TMC a lot forget that we are in this hyper-informed, hyper-concentrated microcosmos of Tesla / TSLA. The amount of information (good and bad) that is disseminated here is staggering. It is far beyond what 99% of TSLA investors have access to. It provides outstanding levels of depth and insight, and a truly 4D-chess level of differing views and opinions. Some of you have been HODL'ing since IPO (or before?), some of you worked in meaningful positions at TSLA, some of you have had very long lives with impressive experience which you share here, the very large majority of us are fanbois of Elon, Tesla, SpaceX etc (myself included), and we all believe that this is the single greatest company of our times and the investment of a life-time. I do not believe Elon is responsible for generating or losing my income. That is on me.

A generational investment. I buy TSLA for the benefit of my kids.

I stand by my opinion that for 99% of investors out there, the TMC microcosmos of information does NOT inform their decision making.
Institutionals, analysts, etc. base the majority of their opinion on dry numbers presented in ERs etc. , and the media (which as we all agree is predominantly biased against Tesla - and let's not talk politics) provides the color to the mass of TSLA investors. We are not the mass.

As such, when Elon comes on an ER call - which ostensibly has the purpose of periodically informing shareholders on Tesla's financial performance along with income statement, cash flow statement, and balance sheets, usually comparing QoQ or YoY, and providing an outlook for the next period - and talks over the topic on hand, everyone on TMC goes nuts, because this is exactly the information we like to receive, we need to hear, it confirms our bull-cases and opinions.

It does not translate well to the actual audience of the ER call. It does not translate well to 99% of investors that consume this information through the media.

The result is that the consumers of this media read: Robots!?, FSD, no Cybertruck, no cheap Tesla, production is hard, supply chain issues. And we experience carnage the day after ER, over 10% down, uptick-rule triggered. Yes, a lot of this is macro and algos (that feed off of the ER and media - 100% not off of posts on TMC), short-sellers, market-makers, bears, hedge-funds, etc. But at the end of the day, there are more sellers than buyers and so the SP is obliterated. Folks that are new shareholders in TSLA see their holdings in negative territory.

These consumers of media do not read: $2.8BN cash flow, 50% YoY growth, $2.87 EPS (if you back out the one-times), over 50% growth projections, the highest margin of all automakers, an unbelievable average cost of production per car, no more cell constraints, two other GigaFactories opening soon - I could go on, but all of you know this better than I do.

So, allow me - and those that did not downvote or ridicule my post - an angry opinion on what was a disastrous earnings call, if measured by the purpose of an earnings call. A call that should have been run by Zach and focussed on the stellar results and the stellar outlook, and should have provided honest, market-calming answers to the questions posed. By shareholders.

The market does not get Robotaxis, FSD, Optimus sub-prime. The market does not want vaporware. The market wants to see in the dry boring numbers a reasonable, plausible way to calculate the projected 50% YoY growth that was presented, based on tangible goods and services they can see Tesla selling today.

Bombs away. I don't care.

Your comments and argument were weak, provided little in the way of evidence and was nothing other than opinion. Those that gave thumbs down were disagreeing with your opinion. Make better points, then there is some meat to have a debate about.

You need to do better than SC to get any engagement here:

, it has a chart.

It looks like some people just report tweets they don’t like(or in my case: facebook comments) as spam or violations of T&C’s, knowing that no human at Twitter or FB will evaluate the complaint and the post will just disappear.

I wrote a critical post yesterday regarding my disdain for Elon speaking at the ER (and the carnage that ensued) and a desire for him to not do that again in future.

The ridicule was centered on the last part of my post related to the fact that I trade options to generate some income, and many were suggestions that if I don't like it, I should sell and go away.

I've slept on it.

And I stand firm by my comment: Elon should be banned from talking at ERs - Zach should do all the talking.
Product road-maps, etc. should be given alternative platform where Elon can talk. He does so anyways on Twitter to his 71M followers, podcasts, interviews etc.

To be clear: I am 100% all-in on TSLA. It is the only stock I own and, apart from my home, my only asset.

My ASP is in the $170 region and I've never sold a share - I would suggest that this qualifies me as a HODLer, especially in the eyes of the "if you don't like it, sell" crowd here.
I have a full-time job, a family with two kids, and I trade options on TSLA to generate additional income. I use a part of this income to add to my TSLA position. I always make bullish trades - means, I am bullish on TSLA and attempt to profit from those that are not. If anyone cares, you can head over to the other thread and see my posts there - I'm not a high-risk trader.

In the days leading up to ER, the close we got, the number of you here - and many of the long-term, high frequency posters included - were posting (humorous?) comments about being afraid of what would happen if Elon said the wrong thing during the ER.

And then he goes and does just that - and a critical post on just the carnage that that caused is shot down by the very same posters.

I really think many of us who are on TMC a lot forget that we are in this hyper-informed, hyper-concentrated microcosmos of Tesla / TSLA. The amount of information (good and bad) that is disseminated here is staggering. It is far beyond what 99% of TSLA investors have access to. It provides outstanding levels of depth and insight, and a truly 4D-chess level of differing views and opinions. Some of you have been HODL'ing since IPO (or before?), some of you worked in meaningful positions at TSLA, some of you have had very long lives with impressive experience which you share here, the very large majority of us are fanbois of Elon, Tesla, SpaceX etc (myself included), and we all believe that this is the single greatest company of our times and the investment of a life-time. I do not believe Elon is responsible for generating or losing my income. That is on me.

I stand by my opinion that for 99% of investors out there, the TMC microcosmos of information does NOT inform their decision making.
Institutionals, analysts, etc. base the majority of their opinion on dry numbers presented in ERs etc. , and the media (which as we all agree is predominantly biased against Tesla - and let's not talk politics) provides the color to the mass of TSLA investors. We are not the mass.

As such, when Elon comes on an ER call - which ostensibly has the purpose of periodically informing shareholders on Tesla's financial performance along with income statement, cash flow statement, and balance sheets, usually comparing QoQ or YoY, and providing an outlook for the next period - and talks over the topic on hand, everyone on TMC goes nuts, because this is exactly the information we like to receive, we need to hear, it confirms our bull-cases and opinions.

It does not translate well to the actual audience of the ER call. It does not translate well to 99% of investors that consume this information through the media.

The result is that the consumers of this media read: Robots!?, FSD, no Cybertruck, no cheap Tesla, production is hard, supply chain issues. And we experience carnage the day after ER, over 10% down, uptick-rule triggered. Yes, a lot of this is macro and algos (that feed off of the ER and media - 100% not off of posts on TMC), short-sellers, market-makers, bears, hedge-funds, etc. But at the end of the day, there are more sellers than buyers and so the SP is obliterated. Folks that are new shareholders in TSLA see their holdings in negative territory.

These consumers of media do not read: $2.8BN cash flow, 50% YoY growth, $2.87 EPS (if you back out the one-times), over 50% growth projections, the highest margin of all automakers, an unbelievable average cost of production per car, no more cell constraints, two other GigaFactories opening soon - I could go on, but all of you know this better than I do.

So, allow me - and those that did not downvote or ridicule my post - an angry opinion on what was a disastrous earnings call, if measured by the purpose of an earnings call. A call that should have been run by Zach and focussed on the stellar results and the stellar outlook, and should have provided honest, market-calming answers to the questions posed. By shareholders.

The market does not get Robotaxis, FSD, Optimus sub-prime. The market does not want vaporware. The market wants to see in the dry boring numbers a reasonable, plausible way to calculate the projected 50% YoY growth that was presented, based on tangible goods and services they can see Tesla selling today.

Before the earnings call I wrote a post cautioning on speculation. Not only had good people gone bankrupt and committed suicide but just the stress and angst it creates. Tesla is changing the world. Period no doubts about it. For an individual speculating on the specific pinpoint in time of that success is something you should do when it does not matter to your financial status or you face the full risk and reward without any sympathy from society. In other words suck it up, 99.999% of the population should not be speculating.

EM comments are hit and miss. But did that stop people from speculating. No..no it did not. You were not alone in your belief that EM should not have said what he said, many posters said the same. Every person on this forum that speculates (Many...too many) was impacted. Few were blaming EM for losing them money. To their credit... they gambled and most lost.

Just invest. Buy the stock and for heavens sake walk away. Don't check the stock price for the rest of winter/spring/summer. In November check in to make tax plans if required. Tesla is going to be fine and so are you if you just invest.

I've slept on it.

TSLA will succeed in the long term and stock will follow the growth. You just have to take bets that can be rolled in the long term for time to be on your side. That’s what I guess I will do. Roll the Puts to 2024, when the SP will be >2500