Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe this is obvious to some - but 54,000 is close to 60,000; is the universe of cars with this feature the same as the FSD BETA? Just curious.
Exactly correct. And although it sounds like common sense to roll back a feature that explicitly breaks the letter of the law, this is a step backwards. With FSD beta you realize how poorly the majority of stop signs are placed, and that stopping at the sign itself requires the car to creep up and stop again, which is frustrating to everyone around you.

The recall, even with it being OTA, is silly. Its just an attempt by the bureaucracy to slow FSD progress.

Maybe this is obvious to some - but 54,000 is close to 60,000; is the universe of cars with this feature the same as the FSD BETA? Just curious.

Also, not that it matters, but you can do this without any special software. Happened to me, 30+ years ago. Was arguing with the the other half and rolled right through an intersection in Chevy Chase, in front of a police car. Made an indelible impression on me as you can see. Permanent recall:).

Felt like the thread needed some humor this morning.
Yes, this is due to FSD Beta (public release doesn't handle stop signs) doing rolling stops at 4 way intersections. This was added to assertive mode around Oct 20th (and, while more humanish, does likely violate state laws)

Tesla to recall nearly 54,000 vehicles that may disobey stop signs

While GF Berlin get's stalled ....

Volkswagen announced the complete transformation of its Zwickau plant from an ICE to EV production factory last week on Thursday, January 27, 2022. The Zwickau plant is officially producing VW’s sixth all-electric vehicle, the ID.5.

+ There are talks/rumors of the environmental groups being funded by people with deep pockets/competition? Truth will likely come out in the end.
Maybe a GFgate just like dieselgate :)

++ Hat tip to Mr Diess on executing internally and appearing to butter up Elon on the outside ;) :)

Last edited:

Edit: correction, not our, the - as the Fed is owned by the private group of main banks Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citibank, etc
This is false. The Federal Reserve System as
about_14986.htm
Even a cursory lok demonstrates that. The Federal Reserve Banks, explained in the link, have shareholdings from each member bank within their district. They do NOT, repeat NOT control the district banks or the Federal Reserve System.
As with everything in the world, large institutions do have influence, some more than others.
The factual situation is important enough that people do need to understand at least the basics of the US monetary system.
I apologize if I am a bit strident. It is a bit irritating that we, usually well informed, do not do even basic research before quoting sources, well informed or ill-informed.
In this case the writer seemed to simply did not understand what he thought he saw.

Yes, this is due to FSD Beta (public release doesn't handle stop signs) doing rolling stops at 4 way intersections. This was added to assertive mode around Oct 20th (and, while more humanish, does likely violate state laws)

So far the morning's reaction to this is muted. There may be a calculus in people's heads that goes something like, "Ok, I think this is something Tesla needs to address, but I am more impressed by their ability to simultaneously address this immediately OTA than I am depressed that they have some sort of recall." Highlights Tesla's nimbleness.

Reactions: Carl Raymond
Made this table over the weekend with some valuation and growth data points from Tesla and a few other companies. Sharing it here in case anyone finds it useful:

FKg7yIBVQAEzTqp

• Red field means unavailable data (revenue 5 years ago from then not-public company) or negative numbers from unprofitable companies.
  • Tesla's EBIT and earnings numbers have $700M one-time headwinds added back to them.
  • Data is from over the weekend, so excludes yesterday's trading.

Excel file download link.

G

I've had mine on assertive mode for a couple months because it sits at stop sign for too long, assertive didn't fix it, it still sits at stop signs for way too long so I'm not sure if the 54K recall is related to that mode.

Max pain has moved up to $930 this morning with the nearest big call wall at $950. Looks like an easy enough $950 close for Friday then $1000 next week to continue the "recovery" while still avoiding all big call walls and wiping out the put holders.

Order has been restored. MM's are back to making all the money.

Exactly correct. And although it sounds like common sense to roll back a feature that explicitly breaks the letter of the law, this is a step backwards. With FSD beta you realize how poorly the majority of stop signs are placed, and that stopping at the sign itself requires the car to creep up and stop again, which is frustrating to everyone around you.

The recall, even with it being OTA, is silly. Its just an attempt by the bureaucracy to slow FSD progress. exercise control.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
Max pain has moved up to $930 this morning with the nearest big call wall at $950. Looks like an easy enough $950 close for Friday then $1000 next week to continue the "recovery" while still avoiding all big call walls and wiping out the put holders.

Order has been restored. MM's are back to making all the money.

Recent PUT buying and just 6K call wall at 950 ... what say 1K by this weekend ? (if earnings blow out continues ....)
Maybe market oversold and found a bottom, digested Fed news and a change in sentiment on where inflation is heading ...

I have some Feb 18 1K lotto play calls :) from last week

I can see where programing the vehicle to break traffic laws is a bad idea. One accident involving a rolling stop would not be good even if that action were not the cause.
Yes...
However, it only rolls if it sees the path is clear. Full stops would probably result in getting rear ended more often than rolling stops would cause a collision.

-assumed statistics department

I can see where programing the vehicle to break traffic laws is a bad idea. One accident involving a rolling stop would not be good even if that action were not the cause.
Humans break traffic laws when they see fit. So if rolling stops can't be implemented, what's to stop another recall for allowing you to drive 1 mph or more above speed limit while on FSD?

Reactions: WhiteWi
Humans break traffic laws when they see fit. So if rolling stops can't be implemented, what's to stop another recall for allowing you to drive 1 mph or more above speed limit while on FSD?
Exactly. I can see that happening. It always seemed a potential liability if the car is programed to break the law. Do you not think that will be used against Tesla at some point? Probably harder to prove that a few miles over the limit caused an accident but "going through" a stop sign would be more obvious.

Exactly. I can see that happening. It always seemed a potential liability if the car is programed to break the law. Do you not think that will be used against Tesla at some point? Probably harder to prove that a few miles over the limit caused an accident but "going through" a stop sign would be more obvious.
The difference is that in the case of speeding, Tesla could sue because every other car manufacturer's cruise control can be set to whatever speed the driver wishes.

There may be a parallel analogy here: while it is deleterious to the environment to have ice cars and trucks and even people who face the environmental global warming, as well as micro amounts of carbon monoxide, everyone is free to choose to drive whatever they want. Unfortunately the effect of the choice is universal on everyone whether they made the choice or not. The harmful effect has a cost, the cost of small at this point. We can encourage others by putting a carbon tax or price on this effect. And us encourage others to change their habit.
I disagree strongly with a carbon tax, lots of negatives there. First, it creates justified animosity towards EV owners/drivers, if those driving ICE are penalized. Second, it drives up the cost of ICE, which reduces the pressure on EV manufacturers to make better, more desirable and most importantly less costly vehicles, which is what will ultimately increase adoption. As Tesla had demonstrated so well, build a highly desirable car and people will buy it.

Before I go further, I need to ask-is it acceptable to discuss specific legislation or government actions on here that may impact Tesla's business or stock price? How about other companies, either suppliers/potential suppliers or the impact of TSLA on competitors? I looked through the first couple post on the thread and didn't see any discussion of what was acceptable (and if there is one, please supply a link!). Thanks.