Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am listening to music but....
When Sandy talks about inventing physics he misspoke. He said they were "Inventing Physics. In fact they were inventing technology by definition.
And I got another music perspective:
the chart "Average Rotor Magnet Strength by Vehicle." The coraling of the totals made it appear their were hidden gains in the last two columns.
Then again it was The Doors.
luv ya 2x baby....
Sandy is great at what he does, but he isn't a genius by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not sure how serious he was with that "reinventing physics" comment. I was wondering who he set loose with a dull butterknife to remove the overwrap, lol. Selling the laminates is pretty clever at least.

At the point where I don't care any more. Market has lost it's mind between probable rate increases (like we haven't known that was coming due to inflation figures for the last year) and the Ukraine situation, the stars aren't aligned or the gods are maligned. Kick back, poor a glass of moonshine (I love TN!) and enjoy the show-while holding strong to perhaps strongest stock in the world medium-long term. Remember, less than a year ago we were in the mid $500 range. We're solid, the short term noise, FUD and temper tantrum from the political front-just doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. Say it, it just doesn't matter (happened to catch Meatballs last night...that's stuck in my head). Kick back, take a drink and enjoy the s*** show. And...HODL.
You got a ❤️ from for the Rush reference, whether intentional or otherwise...🤗

Sandy is great at what he does, but he isn't a genius by any stretch of the imagination. I'm not sure how serious he was with that "reinventing physics" comment. I was wondering who he set loose with a dull butterknife to remove the overwrap, lol. Selling the laminates is pretty clever at least.
All this Sandy bashing, please... it's affecting the value of my laminate keeper.

In his defense, if he had said "This is some kinda new Alien Technology" would everyone also think he meant that literally too? Folks, he was in awe like I was. I'm just grateful he didn't join in on the FUD with the rest of them and saw Tesla for what they were from the start. The guy's speaking truth, very rare, he did not sell out. I didn't agree with his wrap mesh idea either, oh well, we get those sometimes.

All I know is I got some Alien Technology coming in the mail. If I can ever figure out how it works, what a great conversation piece of history!

All right. I like watching the Munroe videos; the guy was Head of Fasteners at Ford, and it shows. I gain insights from watching.
But this "magnet pull test".. Sorry, I think I lost a few brain cells in passing, there.
Yeah, I'm a EE. And, no, I don't work with power magnetics, or at least not very often. But I took and enjoyed the course on Electromagnetics (Faraday's equations and all!) back when I was an undergrad and, yeah, this is kind of my field.
First things first: Tesla uses a SynRM motor. (See the link).
In order to get high efficiency and high power, the shape of the magnetic field and how it interacts with the stator magnetic fields really, really matters. At this point in time, I don't remember all the details, but it was how Tesla accomplished this stuck in my brain: They took magnets, shoved them together, rotated them so the North and South poles of adjacent magnets were not aligned, and then glued the batches of them together, thereby designing an oddball magnetic field shape that gave the motor high power and high efficiency.
Fine, wonderful, outstanding engineering by thems that got their Oersteads down pat and all.
Now, if one is comparing a Model Y and a Model S motor, made by the same people: Sure, I'm willing to squint and say, "Well, maybe stronger magnets are better." But presumably the Ford and BMW aren't using that particular type of design. So.. is there a direct relationship that says a stronger magnet is obviously better? Especially, when in the Tesla case, we're talking clumps of magnets whose overall magnetic field strength is something, well, other. So - magnetic field strength of individual magnets in such a cluster has that much of a relationship with the overall operation of the motor?
Next thing. So, take a magnet. Put it on the fork of a forklift. Attach a string and strain gauge, and pull the magnet off the fork, measure the pull strength.
Um. Excuse me: Just how big was each, individual magnet? Did they machine the magnets from each car to have the same weight? The same density?
There exist 15-lbs magnets that can easily haul a 100 lbs hunk of iron out of an irrigation canal. (Or an assault rifle.) No, the 15-lbs magnets aren't used in car motors. But the size matters.
Not that I mind looking down my nose at BMW or Ford, but this test sounds seriously lacking, 10 trials or no.
This is Munroe. I'd expect better of them. They appear to have EEs on staff. Like I said, I feel like I lost a few brain cells.
I was a computer science major but I still had to take e-mag. Gaussian surfaces almost killed me. Great post, but now I'm afraid I will start having those nightmares again. 🥺

All this Sandy bashing, please... it's affecting the value of my laminate keeper.

More of Sandy's impressions of the Plaid S motor in this interview (courtesy of STMP channel). Clearly, Sandy was surprised by the technology, and even more surprised by what he didn't know (beyond his experiences)

Sandy: "But when we cut inside, when we started to look inside that electric motor, THAT is revolutionary"" | via SMR | Interview cued at 6:54

Tesla isn't just world-class technology; as Elon said on Jul 23, 2021:

Its understandable why Sandy hasn't seen this kind of tech before: he's an Earthling. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I was a computer science major but I still had to take e-mag. Gaussian surfaces almost killed me. Great post, but now I'm afraid I will start having those nightmares again. 🥺
Question for Mr. Green, what was that green sheet he put over the core that made it so you could see flux lines inside? It was like I was watching the Roadrunner Acme Holes demonstration on video!

More of Sandy's impressions of the Plaid S motor in this interview (courtesy of STMP channel). Clearly, Sandy was surprised by the technology, and even more surprised by what he didn't know (beyond his experiences)

Sandy: "But when we cut inside, when we started to look inside that electric motor, THAT is revolutionary"" | via SMR

Tesla isn't just world-class technology; as Elon said on Jul 23, 2021:

Its understandable why Sandy hasn't seen this kind of tech before: he's an Earthling. ;)

Cheers!
His prediction on Plaid motors used in Cybertruck - wow, makes sense unless costly (or upgrade). Then imagine running on 4680's... that be some serious power! Fingers crossed.

His comment that the "Laminants are heavy", I wonder what metals are in it? Just begs for more questions, right?

Is this true or common knowledge? Someone on that thread said the Tesla Logo was based on the component of the motors that holds in the magnets? Noticing the little teeth on each end... Chills me.

1645888892001.png

Is this true or common knowledge? Someone on that thread said the Tesla Logo was based on the component of the motors that holds in the magnets? Noticing the little teeth on each end... Chills me.

View attachment 774030

Logo based on cross section of AC motor.

All right. I like watching the Munroe videos; the guy was Head of Fasteners at Ford, and it shows. I gain insights from watching.
But this "magnet pull test".. Sorry, I think I lost a few brain cells in passing, there.
Yeah, I'm a EE. And, no, I don't work with power magnetics, or at least not very often. But I took and enjoyed the course on Electromagnetics (Faraday's equations and all!) back when I was an undergrad and, yeah, this is kind of my field.
First things first: Tesla uses a SynRM motor. (See the link).
In order to get high efficiency and high power, the shape of the magnetic field and how it interacts with the stator magnetic fields really, really matters. At this point in time, I don't remember all the details, but it was how Tesla accomplished this stuck in my brain: They took magnets, shoved them together, rotated them so the North and South poles of adjacent magnets were not aligned, and then glued the batches of them together, thereby designing an oddball magnetic field shape that gave the motor high power and high efficiency.
Fine, wonderful, outstanding engineering by thems that got their Oersteads down pat and all.
Now, if one is comparing a Model Y and a Model S motor, made by the same people: Sure, I'm willing to squint and say, "Well, maybe stronger magnets are better." But presumably the Ford and BMW aren't using that particular type of design. So.. is there a direct relationship that says a stronger magnet is obviously better? Especially, when in the Tesla case, we're talking clumps of magnets whose overall magnetic field strength is something, well, other. So - magnetic field strength of individual magnets in such a cluster has that much of a relationship with the overall operation of the motor?
Next thing. So, take a magnet. Put it on the fork of a forklift. Attach a string and strain gauge, and pull the magnet off the fork, measure the pull strength.
Um. Excuse me: Just how big was each, individual magnet? Did they machine the magnets from each car to have the same weight? The same density?
There exist 15-lbs magnets that can easily haul a 100 lbs hunk of iron out of an irrigation canal. (Or an assault rifle.) No, the 15-lbs magnets aren't used in car motors. But the size matters.
Not that I mind looking down my nose at BMW or Ford, but this test sounds seriously lacking, 10 trials or no.
This is Munroe. I'd expect better of them. They appear to have EEs on staff. Like I said, I feel like I lost a few brain cells.
In his defense, You have to read the book. (And in order to read the book you first have to pay him for the book.)

Another issue I had with that "experiment" was the magnetic field being "tested" was being captured by the bolt. The position and mass of the iron in the motors is different.

Reactions: cjkosh
The best time to purchase a Tesla is always “today” or “tomorrow” - as they keep updating hardware and software.

For ex - new interior.. new refresh… New Amd chip, new matrix headlights, tail lights, heated steering, heated wipers, Who knows maybe 17” screen for all models in future…

Not to mention the range increases..

Cheaper Price is not always the justification for “best”
I can't predict the future of the rate increase of demand, but as chip supplies ultimately move out of bottleneck status AND Berlin and Austin are online, seems like their might be the opportunity for some significant backorder reduction and then possibly ASP reduction?

In his defense, if he had said "This is some kinda new Alien Technology" would everyone also think he meant that literally too? Folks, he was in awe like I was. I'm just grateful he didn't join in on the FUD with the rest of them and saw Tesla for what they were from the start. The guy's speaking truth, very rare, he did not sell out. I didn't agree with his wrap mesh idea either, oh well, we get those sometimes.

All I know is I got some Alien Technology coming in the mail. If I can ever figure out how it works, what a great conversation piece of history!
Congrats on your Plaid teardown keepsake purchase! I might buy one myself, if they're still available. I wasn't bashing Sandy at all- love what he does. Just making a realistic assessment. I think that assessment crystallized while watching an interview where Sandy brought a .303 British round and a .50 cal BMG round as props to discuss the bulletproof qualities of Cybertruck. He thought the stainless steel skin would likely resist penetration by the .303, but not the 50 cal. You'd have to be a loooong distance away from somebody firing a .303 at your cybertruck to prevent penetration. Sandy is hunting in the wrong areas if that's a real concern of his, lol. Regardless, genius is not a requirement for great achievement.

Congrats on your Plaid teardown keepsake purchase! I might buy one myself, if they're still available. I wasn't bashing Sandy at all- love what he does. Just making a realistic assessment. I think that assessment crystallized while watching an interview where Sandy brought a .303 British round and a .50 cal BMG round as props to discuss the bulletproof qualities of Cybertruck. He thought the stainless steel skin would likely resist penetration by the .303, but not the 50 cal. You'd have to be a loooong distance away from somebody firing a .303 at your cybertruck to prevent penetration. Sandy is hunting in the wrong areas if that's a real concern of his, lol. Regardless, genius is not a requirement for great achievement.
No, not a requirement. But especially when one is presenting one's opinions to a diverse public, it is critical to keep presentations and opinions to one's areas of expertise. The various comments and criticisms I have read just in this thread of Mr Munro's comments should serve to others why diverging from there is a really bad idea.

Model S & X have now removed radars, going vision only like 3&Y

Is this quadrupling (or quintuple, sextuple, septule , octuple , nonuple?) down on vision now? BULLISH.

So I got to see a blue model Y up close for the first time at a shopping centre in northern England, straight away I could see why this is going to be a best seller and why it will outsell the 3. The only problem is the Y version available at the moment costs £55,000.

I asked the staff if she knew anything about when giga Berlin was going to make them but she couldn’t say and said she didn’t even know if/when Berlin would produce for the UK as they will have to meet the demand for all mainland Europe.

I also saw polestar vehicles in a show room and at a charging point outside. They looked bigger and sturdier than the 3. At a glance the vehicles looked fine and whatever the specs or lack of charging issues I am glad others are at least making them.

View attachment 774030
Is it possible that the hooks on the Tesla logo predated this latest electric motor design by more than ten years? I don't think the little hooks were in previous motors.

It's interesting that the company that designed the logo, RO Studio also introduced Franz von Holzhausen to Elon.

Maybe rather than alien technology, we're witnessing an instance of time travel! Or at least precognition.

I'll be watching for a FSD price increase soon in Canada: (which occurred soon after FSD beta debuted in the U.S.A.)

Cheers!