Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies to those here that purchased on 8/7/20.
No apology necessary. The shares I purchased then have a cost basis of about $75, post split, so all good.

Though I could get ~$25/share via the SEC fund, assuming of course that there aren't more than ~1.6 million shares that were purchased during that time frame where the people submit a claim. (In other words an individual is likely to get just about nothing from this.)

Hey , anyone on here that can put a bug in Elon's ear as to whether "we" can get some of those invitations?

How does one get or buy a ticket?

Reactions: betstarship
Details of the SEC's plans to distribute the $40M have been filed with the court. The main document describing the details is here: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755.76.2.pdf

Only "realized" losses for stock purchased between 8/7/2018 12:48:16 PM EDT and 8/8/2018 4:00 PM EDT count.

Other related documents:
Am I reading that the realized losses must be realized during the relevant period as well?

Am I reading that the realized losses must be realized during the relevant period as well?
No: "B. the purchase/acquisition price minus $356.67, if the share was held at the end of the Relevant Period;"

So if you bought during the period and HODL'd you can file a claim to get your share of the $40M. (Just like most class actions, don't expect to actually get much, if anything.)

Unfortunately, per the document shown by @MP3Mike, those NON-INVESTORS who closed out their short positions during the Relevant Period also are bailed out. Grrrrrrrr…..

This is just the submission of a plan to the Court. Its unlikely to be approved now that Elon has asked for it's basis to be set aside. There has never been an agreed upon set of facts in this case.

Now, this proposal is spouting language that wrongly mischaracterizes the agreement. This plan is a non-starter. No backdoor claiming-victory, no parting-shots allowed.

Last edited:
Barter system works with a neighbor...but for millions of people? That'll be interesting.
Barter is very well established in international trade. Nealy all the largest banks do versions of that in very large transactions. Since most of it is quite large transactions and little of it involves direct regulated activity it tends to be invisible. Traditionally, over centuries, this has been a practice of factoring companies. The most traditional practitioners were Eastern European, principally Austrian and German, but nearly all worldwide Chinese/overseas Chinese communities are deeply involved with barter.

Why is that true and why does it remain largely invisible to the world? These transactions reduce nearly all transactions taxes that otherwise can be onerous. That is, the nominal financial value of barter transactions tends to be significantly less than would have been a monetary system. The practices are often multi-partate and frequently involve some parties who have "conventional trade restrictions" with each other.
Here is a brief description that vastly, repeat vastly, understates the use of barter:

For major nations trading in commodities that can be somewhat fungible the practice of barter is very efficient for all concerned, especially if one or all parties are subject to trading restrictions with each other. In such situations multi-partate is typical, placing at least one neutral party between otherwise hostile parties.

There is not a large body of references about this business but there are some. All the good ones tend to trivialize the amount of barter in the world.

A few examples:
Major international airlines flying between countries with rigid trade restrictions, which tend to barter flights, aircraft furnishings, catering etc.
Commodity traders. Many source countries need specific products more than they need cash, so everything from barley, wheat. cotton, rice, to every precious metal. The destination countries tend to be industrialized or produce other desired commodities. Oil and gas, noble gases, and other raw materials are often traded with barter.

Candidly nobody knows how much barter there is but everyone who's ever had an direct exposure, however superficial, will understand it is far more prevalent than entrees like IRTA guesstimate.
I am no expert. I have worked on a few deals that involved places such as Sudan, Iran, and major western countries. In each deal I personally say there were multiple nationalities involved. Although not an expert, the experts I worked with were all from major global banks and all were part of large Trade Financing groups. The contracts and delivery processes are 'interesting' but generally do not have assigned monetary values placed on any part, often even shipping can be bartered.

For January
1646831055817.png

Compounded by the evils of Just-in-Time logistics planning, designed by MBAs with no real world experience.
With any system there are pros and cons. JIT would have been one of the reasons Tesla made it, unable to afford inventories of thousands of parts with poor payment terms.

How long has Russia been preparing? Porsche didn’t think to secure another supplier, just in case? This isn’t some JIT evil. This is a company that is slow and stupid. Why not just respond as Tesla would and take steps to decrease the amount of cabling each car required, effectively doubling production with half the supply? 🤪

This could be why the market turned...

Ukraine says no longer insisting on NATO membership​

Seems smart. It wasn’t coming anytime soon, and Ukraine if it survives can just wait out Putin and do it after he’s out of the picture.