Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, if memory serves me, they only book the impairment IF they have stock transactions and "realize" the price change. I don't know if F and AMZN sold any shares in Q1, but if they did not, they don't have to book the impairment.

If I'm wrong, please correct me and point to relevant guidelines.

I don’t know if you’re wrong, but they definitely booked unrealized gains last quarter - it doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t have to show the loss on the way back down.

Doubt it. Tesla needs to be careful because there are people taking deliveries or scheduled for deliveries for Fremont model Ys. Too high of a deviation will lead to many unhappy customers.

Now I welcome a performance + or LR+ variant, however customers can't be getting it at random and for no extra cost vs those who are stuck with Fremont Ys.
In europe they manage to mix the supply of Chinese vs US specced cars without too much bother. I would imagine it will play out the same

Why should Tesla pay to advertise when they get 6:30 min feature promo's for free on Fox Busines? :D

Rumors fly at Tesla's cyber rodeo | Fox Business (1 day ago)

Cheers!

P.S. If Tesla opens up orders for a special Made-in-Texas Model Y tonight, I'm taking a victory lap. ;)
This is the most surprising content I have seen in some time. IT is astounding that Tesla is not an advertiser either. I shall tune in tomorrow at 3PM Eastern.

doable
already off because I was planning on going (key word there, why didn't Elon just say that a long time ago...sigh)
Superchargers between here and Austin by now will be stressful and take too long.

I was going to leave early enough to miss all the traffic if I had gotten a formal invite.

It's cool. I've hit the acceptance phase now. hahaha.
"It's a free concert from now on .That doesn't mean that anything goes...."

• Funny
Reactions: Don TLR and JimS
Why should Tesla pay to advertise when they get 6:30 min feature promo's for free on Fox Busines? :D

Rumors fly at Tesla's cyber rodeo | Fox Business (1 day ago)

Cheers!

P.S. If Tesla opens up orders for a special Made-in-Texas Model Y tonight, I'm taking a victory lap. ;)
Presumably this guy has little more insider info than we do, but he does seem to think some kind of Cybertruck announcement is coming.

Trying to temper my expectations but videos like this make it hard.

What I do absolutely expect is more details on the 4680 Model Y, perhaps charging speed and some other interesting details.

In europe they manage to mix the supply of Chinese vs US specced cars without too much bother. I would imagine it will play out the same
Well that's because the specs were within like 5% and LFP Mode 3s has a better battery degradation profile, allowing everyone to charge to 100% without worrying than US spec-ed cars.

If 4680s are like 20% better than fremont Ys with upgradable faster charging capabilities, better braking distance, 400lbs lighter, etc etc then yeah there will be a riot.

“Should Putin turn off the gas tap or the gas stop come from the German side, then hospitals and schools will have high priority,” Raschke said. He added consumers and citizens would have “absolute protection,” while companies like Tesla, which operate large industrial projects, would be “the first to shut down and have to do without.”

For macros, today seems like a wait for tomorrow kind of day.

Volume low, riding near/at 50EMA/20MA for QQQ, SPY and IWM. I guess the only saving grace is that we aren't filling some gaps.

Here's to hoping we see/hear something from Elon today that gives the stock a bump and maybe the macros will be done waiting and we can go back to a bull market with ATHs.

The fossil fuel attacks are real, but the beauty is - all of this is a force function to switch away permanently from fossil fuels, which pushes forward teslas mission. I am going to jank out the gas furnace and replace it with a heat pump in the next two months. Who needs gas if solar can produce electricity and we can heat and cool and cook and have warm water without using any gas.

What I find wrong about this article is that is paints a picture that Tesla would be targeted. If industry has gas allocations cut it will be across the board.

I don’t know if you’re wrong, but they definitely booked unrealized gains last quarter - it doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t have to show the loss on the way back down.

My understanding, you can "choose" to book gains, but you are not REQUIRED to do so. Same with losses. The only time you are required to do so is when you have a share transaction, as that "resets" the price for your holdings.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
What I find wrong about this article is that is paints a picture that Tesla would be targeted. If industry has gas allocations cut it will be across the board.
No no, Tesla is the FIRST to get cut off, FIRST in line.

When gas embargo happens, the order in which gas is cut off is

1. Tesla
2. Murderers
3. Rapist
4. Pedophiles

I haven't been paying close attention to the 4680 production plans or theories (F vs A in VIN), but I'm in the market for another Y.

So with Keto Rd right next to Fremont Factory, seems to me that's where production would have started (in Fremont as a pack anyway), but not structural as this could take down a critical line for conversion. Hoping that's clarified today; maybe they've been sneaking them under our noses for a bit, who knows.

Where did the first million 4680 batteries go already (and 1M+ per month potentially after Jan '22)? Stockpiled where? There could be 3 million somewhere by now or more. Could be just a head start batch until 4680 battery ramp matches vehicle volume. Am I missing anything, or completely off? My TMC friends here don't mince words, I'm sure I'll hear it if I'm way off ;) Fire away!

Reactions: Andy O
The fossil fuel attacks are real, but the beauty is - all of this is a force function to switch away permanently from fossil fuels, which pushes forward teslas mission. I am going to jank out the gas furnace and replace it with a heat pump in the next two months. Who needs gas if solar can produce electricity and we can heat and cool and cook and have warm water without using any gas.
I did this a few years ago. The air is so clean in the house and our induction range cooks so much better than gas.

I find that highly unlikely but if that were the case I'd just keep rebuilding what I already own.
So your answer to what if it cost 10x what it does now to have your own personal car is that you'll arrange to avoid that? That's just dodging the question.

It won't be that easily avoidable. Imagine that registration costs will be geared to robotaxis, so are 10x what they are now. Tolls are ubiquitous and are way higher for a single person in their own car. Insurance for personal vehicles is way more expensive. Parking will cost lots more.

What I asked is if you having an unshared car is so important to you that you pay 10x as much for it as you do now. You know, kind of like having a private plane rather than flying commercial. I suspect that almost nobody will be willing to pay for the privilege. I suspect that you won't. I know I wouldn't.