Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't figure out why, from the perspective of an auto ,consumer, so many people think the 4680 cells will be all that different from 2170 cells which are proven safe, durable and powerful and fast to charge.. The 2170's are proven to be these things over years and have low risk. Of course, I think the 4680's will prove to be all these things too, but the single biggest advantage of 4680 cells is the lower cost to manufacture. Obviously, there are other benefits but it's not like you will be driving down the road saying "Wow, gee whiz, feel how strong and nice these 4680 cells feel compared to those plebian 2170's."

It certainly wouldn't make me change my car buying schedule if I needed a new car.
Structural pack is something I'd want, but I'm also expecting lower degradation. Elon has hinted around that.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I can't figure out why, from the perspective of an auto ,consumer, so many people think the 4680 cells will be all that different from 2170 cells which are proven safe, durable and powerful and fast to charge.. The 2170's are proven to be these things over years and have low risk. Of course, I think the 4680's will prove to be all these things too, but the single biggest advantage of 4680 cells is the lower cost to manufacture. Obviously, there are other benefits but it's not like you will be driving down the road saying "Wow, gee whiz, feel how strong and nice these 4680 cells feel compared to those plebian 2170's."

This is ultimately why I bought my MY LR last year rather than wait for an Austin car. Plus I was tired of waiting. I figure if a 4680 MY comes down the road someday with specs that are incredibly better then I'll simply trade up.

4680's will have a great impact on all of us investors though. Easier manufacturing, higher volumes, greater margins. Cha-ching for the TSLA longs!!! :cool:

My point exactly. We are down 2X macro today because most people don't understand what was just shown to them last night. If they did understand, they would be selling everything else and scoping up TSLA with both hands.
This just reinforces the value of this collective at TMC. Macro’s aside, risk shouldn’t even be a factor now with regards to TSLA. But we already know that.

It’s already a slam dunk.

Let the laggards warm the bench as the game passes them by…yet again.

To the victors, come the spoils. The 20th cannot come soon enough.

This just reinforces the value of this collective at TMC. Macro’s aside, risk shouldn’t even be a factor now with regards to TSLA. But we already know that.

It’s already a slam dunk.

Let the laggards warm the bench as the game passes them by…yet again.

To the victors, come the spoils. The 20th cannot come soon enough.
Do we really think that the 20th will be all that great though? I’m usually pretty optimistic and all but out numbers weren’t outstanding to the street and with all the crap going on in the world and the china factory shut down, I’m just not so sure it’ll be anything spectacular. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Of course we all know what Tesla is worth, much much more than this for sure, but with what we’ve been through with our constant share price push down in the last year, I don’t get my hopes up anymore.

Tesla just showed the world the most advanced factory on the planet, with incredible vertical integration. Materials in, cars out. Meanwhile other car companies are buying motors and batteries from third party suppliers (not to mention software) and building them at 1/3 the rate of Tesla. The profit margins will be class leading by a huge margin. I honestly can't believe we aren't 10% green in pre-market. But then again, I have made $Millions with my TSLA investments because I saw and understood the obvious long, long, long before everyone else on Wall Street.
This is really important-- the end result of the pandemic and early delays from suppliers resulted in Tesla sourcing some of their own parts.

I would imagine we'll be green by close. We are bound for 1049 or 1059.

The options volume chart makes it look like they are targeting somewhere around 1030 for the close today:

1649428789502.png

Good catch, I assume they just left it out of the cutaway mockup.

View attachment 791336
Interesting that there's a thickness difference between alternating rows. The thicker ones seem to match the size of the cooling tubes in that other "assembly cutaway" picture. I wonder if the thinner ones are actually cooling tubes or serve some other purpose? Adhesive to physically bond cell strings to each other?

I'm curious about how the structural pack & front/rear castings will affect body stiffness. I can tell the body in my 2018 Model 3 twists when I go over uneven ground. Musk alluded to improved crash performance, I assume this is due to a stiffer frame.

The Model 3 is already one of the stiffest cars on the road save for exotic sports cars.

A daily driver can actually be too stiff for reasonable comfort and so when Tesla says a structural pack or front and rear castings will make for a stiffer chassis, I interpret that to mean how stiff it is for the weight. Any car can be made as stiff as desired simply by adding more material/weight to the structure. And a structural pack or cast front/rear chassis can be engineered to maintain desired stiffness while reducing weight.

If you are saying your 2018 Model 3 has excessive chassis twist, I really wonder what you are comparing it to and what you expect to gain with more chassis stiffness. If I were to improve the handling of the Model 3, I would not focus on adding stiffness, but removing weight while maintaining existing stiffness.

Last edited:
I love this from Barrons: (from the TD news link.)

"Tesla sells FSD for $12,000 or a monthly subscription. That's one of the reasons FSD could be transformative for the stock and Musk believes it will be transformative for the industry. A car company taking in thousands of high-profit margin dollars a year on cars sold years ago just isn't what happens today in the auto business."

I think the golden egg is coming this year (limited regions/towns). In general, it's better and it's worse than humans, both. Gonna take time for folks to understand that the risk will shift from common human errors to new ones that nearly all humans might think are avoidable.

Progress is continuous, its a solid vector. Not going to try guess that single moment in time when either the FSD revenue hits the books, or when some city says it's OK to use. HODL or you could miss both.

Surprised this has not been posted - Block and Tesla to bitcoin mine with solar farms.

Sorry - Misleading title. It is only Block and Blockstream using Tesla technology.