Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been thinking about 4680 scale up? Kato, Tx and Berlin - what about Shanghi & Nevada?

I know 2022 is chip constrained but what about 2023? Chips or batteries?

Raw materials (Nickel, Lithium, etc) is the next upcoming bottleneck. Tesla has foreseen this and put themselves in a better position than anyone else, but raw materials is still going to be their constraint in 2023 and beyond.

By the way, only somewhat related to your question, but on the subject of batteries: does anyone else think there is a lot of evidence that the 4680 cells are not meeting the specifications laid out on Battery Day? We can already see with our own eyes that they require side-channel cooling in the latest iteration of the packs, something that was absent in the representations shown on Battery Day. If they were forced to change their approach, this would diminish the energy density of the pack, and negatively impact potential range and performance. It also indicates some of their initial assumptions regarding heat dissipation were inaccurate, which raises potential issues with charging, performance, and possibly even longevity.

Looking back at the slides themselves from that presentation, there are three that concern me:

1. "The challenge with larger cells is supercharging" i.e. heat dissipation. The tabless design was presented as the solution to that issue. The presence of cooling channels between the cells on the production pack may indicate this solution did not meet their expectations.

2. Compared to 2170s, the 4680s were said to have "5x the energy, +16% range, 6x the Power". This is a weird slide. I assume the first and third claim here are per cell (4680 is obviously more massive than a 2170), while the middle claim about range might be per battery pack? per kw/h? i can't tell. This makes the first and third claims very hard claims to evaluate, since we don't know how many 4680s there will be in a pack, at least not yet.

3. Dry Electrode process would result in 10x less energy used creating the cell, and 10x reduction in factory footprint. Does anyone know for sure if the 4680 lines being built use this Dry Electrode process? I admit I haven't followed the Berlin and Austin construction as closely as I did Shanghai.

(There were a bunch of other slides that were tangential to the 4680, regarding factory footprint, recycling, mineral mining, etc. -- i'm omitting those because this post is about the 4680 Battery Day specs vs. what we are seeing going into production.)

The presentation mentions different chemical profiles will be used for different applications (standard-range sedan vs. performance models vs. Semi vs. stationary applications, etc) but does not specify that multiple form factors will also be used, but I suspect they will. In fact, my concern is that the 4680 might prove unsuitable for ultra high-performance applications such as the Roadster and Plaid, and also may have limitations with supercharging.

I welcome others' thoughts on this, I'm not trying to claim expertise in this area.

Last edited:
The competition is ICE. I know that most of you get that. What I think important is that the extent to which the market responds to statements like Burry's and a host of others is best viewed as an opportunity to gather more shares. So it will be a bittersweet day when the market does no longer react to such malarkey.

Lolz....

1650468454615.png

So the guy makes his investment decisions based on whether the CEO is going to be on the earnings call instead of the performance of the business?

What a short-sighted moron. But I guess that's a "trader" for you.

(Remind me why anyone should care about squawksquare anyway? Who the F cares?)
I like him because he is entertaining and because he likes Tesla, but I don't usually understand his logic.

IMO Elon will be on his best behavior. I know many think he doesn't care about SP or even wants to keep it suppressed, but this is a time where he wants TSLA as high as possible to support his TWTR gambit.

@Pezpunk, replying here for visibility. Everyone, please use Engineering thread for further questions.Investor Engineering Discussions

We can already see with our own eyes that they require side-channel cooling in the latest iteration of the packs, something that was absent in the representations shown on Battery Day.
Packs require thermal regulation regarless of form factor.
The battery day 2170 crossection didn't show the tubes either.

By the way, only somewhat related to your question, but on the subject of batteries: does anyone else think there is a lot of evidence that the 4680 cells are not meeting the specifications laid out on Battery Day?

Batery day showed the end goal once all tech was integrated, not the first production units. Pure silicon may be a phase in thing. Plus they may be starting with conservative sw limirs.

1. "The challenge with larger cells is supercharging" i.e. heat dissipation. The tabless design was presented as the solution to that issue. The presence of cooling channels between the cells on the production pack may indicate this solution did not meet their expectations.

It does NOT indicate that. Cells generate heat. Cells need to be warm to charge. Thermal management is required for performance and longevity.

2. Compared to 2170s, the 4680s were said to have "5x the energy, +16% range, 6x the Power". This is a weird slide. I assume the first and third claim here are per cell (4680 is obviously more massive than a 2170), while the middle claim about range is per battery pack. This makes the first and third claims very hard claims to evaluate, since we don't know how many 4680s there will be in a pack, at least not yet.
828 cells in the current Austin pack. Range increase is likely on a same kWh basis.

3. Dry Electrode process would result in 10x less energy used creating the cell, and 10x reduction in factory footprint. Does anyone know for sure if the 4680 lines being built use this Dry Electrode process? I admit I haven't followed the Berlin and Austin construction as closely as I did Shanghai.

Yes, dry is used. There is no room for ovens, nor any sign of them being delivered. Nor solvent recycling systems.

The presentation does not specify that multiple form factors will also be used, but I suspect they will. In fact, my concern is that the 4680 might prove unsuitable for ultra high-performance applications such as the Roadster and Plaid, and also may have limitations with supercharging.
4680 is the high performance cell. Prismatic is the low cost LFP package.

We can already see with our own eyes that they require side-channel cooling in the latest iteration of the packs, something that was absent in the representations shown on Battery Day.
I’ll throw my engineering guess that this.
The model Y was designed for 2170s and the 4680 gives 10mm less vertical height in the pack available. Maybe bottom plate cooling just wouldn’t fit.

Raw materials (Nickel, Lithium, etc) is the next upcoming bottleneck. Tesla has foreseen this and put themselves in a better position than anyone else, but raw materials is still going to be their constraint in 2023 and beyond.

By the way, only somewhat related to your question, but on the subject of batteries: does anyone else think there is a lot of evidence that the 4680 cells are not meeting the specifications laid out on Battery Day? We can already see with our own eyes that they require side-channel cooling in the latest iteration of the packs, something that was absent in the representations shown on Battery Day. ….
I think the below slide is the only representation of the pack itself in the presentation, is this what you base the assumption no side cooling was planned? Not shown for the old pack either - discussion here was on pack being structural.

Again, they did not say «no side cooling» - Munro (and perhaps others) conjured that this would not be necessary.
B4E5BE08-02FE-4B8F-93A5-C1D4A86F09FA.png

By the way, only somewhat related to your question, but on the subject of batteries: does anyone else think there is a lot of evidence that the 4680 cells are not meeting the specifications laid out on Battery Day? We can already see with our own eyes that they require side-channel cooling in the latest iteration of the packs, something that was absent in the representations shown on Battery Day. If they were forced to change their approach, this would diminish the energy density of the pack, and negatively impact potential range and performance. It also indicates some of their initial assumptions regarding heat dissipation were inaccurate, which raises potential issues with charging, performance, and possibly even longevity.
Given the current manufacturing constraints, I suggest that people reserve judgment on the potential capability of the 4680 cells and batteries.
Although Musk is hyperbole incarnate, Tesla currently has a very large financial motivation to sandbag until it can significantly increase production both of 4680 cells and the vehicles that will use them.

This HODLing is frustrating - I have no cash to buy anything, especially bc I spent much of it on chips. Many of these chips I order come from China. I just received 200 digital pots from Shenzhen China where most of the rare parts that I need are found, some are 10x price, some 1/2 off.

Anecdotal as this is, and maybe Shanghai is a mess for boat swells, but I see no impact on part delivery from other areas of China. I'm also seeing spots of chips freeing up, (maybe leftovers from larger reels), along with volume supply hitting in Sept still. I'm pico-demand compared to Tesla, but maybe a tiny sign that product is still moving, possibly improving from where I sit.

Recommended guidelines for posting tonight:
  1. If in doubt, don't post or put it in off topic galore
  2. Add value - don't post SP or quotes from the presentation
  3. Group your points together into bigger posts
  4. Don't post until you have caught up and confirmed it hasn't already been posted
5. After posting, check to see if you were ninjaed (someone else posted the same thing before you) and delete your post if so.