Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Covid shut down is causing the yuan to tank. So businesses that accepts yuan as a form of payment will see some foreign exchange headwinds.

Screenshot_20220426-110253_Chrome.jpg

Btw the number TSLA would need to go down on that margin loan is about 400-450/share.

The number of 500/share I’ve seen floated around is using incorrect numbers/math

It's not just the margin loan- there's a limit on how much of his share value he can borrow written in the Teslas rules (25% IIRC), that (from reports I've seen anyway) is a much higher than $500 price before he'd hit it based on reported amounts involved....hadn't cared enough to check but might start getting relevant if this dip gets worse.

My wife, Michelle has been trading $TSLA price swings in a 7-digit all-Tesla Roth IRA (with Roth "margin" [no loans just don't have to wait for cash settlement]) for almost 2 years now. On Friday, she and I decided after the +18% run-up in one week that $900 for $TSLA (triple options expiration) with ~$900 "max pain" inflicted by the Market Makers on the options traders was a good short term sell price ($901.88). Thus we moved this entire account to cash before the closing bell. We had also decided we didn't want to be sitting on this pile of shares over the weekend, fearing that Putin Hitler would "double down" on his Ukrainian war crimes. Now, we've never sat on so much cash before, so it feels weird to me. She says, "cash is king!"

We still have more shares than this Roth in other accounts, including all our shares with a $6-$10 split-adjusted basis from 2011-2012. The wife thinks $TSLA will see < $800 again, so if/when that happens, we'll capture ~12% extra shares.

I figure that "worst case" if this proves to be bad timing, it will give us an opportunity to finally diversify away from our 80% $TSLA position concentration. If $TSLA runs up away from $900, then we'll just load up on some of the beaten-down large cap tech stocks at the appropriate time and ride them back up, instead.

I'm evaluating TD Ameritrade's "Think or swim" desktop trading platform to replace Fidelity's Active Trader Pro. Would anyone using it care to share the most useful features for you? It seems to have a very steep learning curve!

Thanks!
Russ
Did she decide to get back in on this dip, or still holding out for $800?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
They don't look the same to me. TSLA is down much more than anything else in my watchlist, except for Arcimoto (FUV) which is down more than TSLA.

Tesla is selling off for some reason, could be investors angry about the Twitter purchase maybe?
A trend is a trend. All of the mentioned stonks went down in pretty much the same way.

If it were only TSLA going down like mad, I'd probably investigate. In this case, it is meh.