Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
? I'm not being misleading at all.

The fear mongering is directly related to Elon selling a large number of shares starting on Tuesday. If no forms come out tonight, then he didn't.

I don't give one second of thought to if banks were selling TSLA because it doesn't matter. It's just another form of fear mongering.
Is there a time cutoff for when this filing would have to be posted tonight? For the record, I agree the chances are tiny that he sold shares. It does not make sense when the deal will not probably happen for months.

Is there a time cutoff for when this filing would have to be posted tonight? For the record, I agree the chances are tiny that he sold shares. It does not make sense when the deal will not probably happen for months.

Filing deadline is 10 PM Eastern (thanks mongo). And the SEC FAQ says documents appear online 1-3 minutes after they've been accepted. So presumably the SEC could take their time accepting the document, but I'm not seeing a Form 4 for Elon this week yet:

EDIT: Opened up a few of Elon's previous filings to see the timestamps, and the latest "Accepted" timestamp I saw was 21:42 (9:42 PM), and the earliest I saw was 18:23 (6:23 PM). So it seems like the SEC can take their sweet time on posting forms if they want.

Last edited:
Don't want to hijack the thread too much, but I don't really understand how you can fix *people* with technology.
I will be glad when Twitter will make the algorithm open source, encrypt the DMs, make tweets editable, maybe even add some characters... But I don't really think this will change much the state of our democracy (well, maybe a bit the algo part, but he should also look at Facebook and Youtube, and above all, their business model).
A friend of mine - who was a designer for the Wikipedia software - once wrote that you always have to "design for evil", meaning that your tools and your platform will definitely be used buy some crazy people with a lot of stamina and a lot of time. He was simply thinking about online trolls, but you have hostile nations hacker teams, spambots, ecc.
You won't fix democracy with Twitter: I think there's a more than fair chance he will improve some Twitter bugs, but I'm quite skeptical about the whole free speech thing, at the moment it seems just the far right is happy about this.
Now, I live in Europe, where we don't have the First Amendment and are far less enamored about "Free Speech" as an absolute than Americans. We had Nazism and Fascism here, probably that's the reason.
Bad actions are always preceded by bad words and bad arguments (the viceversa is not true, but still).

Maybe I can help you understand this. Yes, people are stupid and gullible and Elon's not going to fix that by buying Twitter. But it's normal for people to be stupid and gullible - it's a human trait because we are not as smart as many of us think we are. This has always been the case.

The really big problem facing humanity right now, the newest problem since we became aware of global climate issues, is that the tools people use to communicate with each other are amplifying their stupidity, hatred and ignorance and threatening to bring down all that is otherwise normally good about democracy and even capitalism itself. These communication platforms have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to amplify stupidity, hate and ignorance. Elon cannot prevent stupidity, hate and ignorance from existing, but he can reconfigure the communication platforms so they do not amplify the very things that are threatening humanity. This could change the trajectory of human civilization for the better and it's something that can be done without taking sides with liberals or conservatives.

It can be done while respecting people's right to speak their minds. It can be done while using open-source code and transparent rules instead of current rules that are hidden, mysterious and opaque. The current platforms are broken and they need fixing. And it is urgent if Elon is to carry out his other missions. That is why I say there is a strong synergy between the mission statement of Tesla and fixing social media. The only way to fix the biggest problems facing humanity is for all people to come together and that is currently not possible given the way information is disseminated and analyzed in the current state of reality.

Maybe I can help you understand this. Yes, people are stupid and gullible and Elon's not going to fix that by buying Twitter. But it's normal for people to be stupid and gullible - it's a human trait because we are not as smart as many of us think we are. This has always been the case.

The really big problem facing humanity right now, the newest problem since we became aware of global climate issues, is that the tools people use to communicate with each other are amplifying their stupidity, hatred and ignorance and threatening to bring down all that is otherwise normally good about democracy and even capitalism itself. These communication platforms have been proven beyond a reasonable doubt to amplify stupidity, hate and ignorance. Elon cannot prevent stupidity, hate and ignorance from existing, but he can reconfigure the communication platforms so they do not amplify the very things that are threatening humanity. This could change the trajectory of human civilization for the better and it's something that can be done without taking sides with liberals or conservatives.

It can be done while respecting people's right to speak their minds. It can be done while using open-source code and transparent rules instead of current rules that are hidden, mysterious and opaque. The current platforms are broken and they need fixing. And it is urgent if Elon is to carry out his other missions. That is why I say there is a strong synergy between the mission statement of Tesla and fixing social media. The only way to fix the biggest problems facing humanity is for all people to come together and that is currently not possible given the way information is disseminated and analyzed in the current state of reality.
If Elon came out and said that they want to change the way the platform promotes information so that it promotes factual information and just lets false information fall to the bottom of the barrel that would be greeted by cheers. He hasnt said that. Doesnt need to block anything, but the most vile and direct calls for violence against people.

Filing deadline was 5:30 PM Eastern, so about 30 minutes ago. And the SEC FAQ says documents appear online 1-3 minutes after they've been accepted. So presumably the SEC could take their time accepting the document, but I'm not seeing a Form 4 for Elon this week yet:

I'm reading this as 10pm for ownership reports like Form 4
"The acceptance date is not the same as the official filing date. If a filing is submitted after 5:30 PM or 10:00 PM EST, for non ownership reports and ownership reports respectively, it will not be deemed filed with the SEC until the following business day (except for the "T+3" filings, made pursuant to Rule 462(b), which will receive the date of the actual filing)."
SEC EDGAR Hours of Operation and Holidays - SEC EDGAR Deadlines

Edit: which explains the time code on this one from November: EDGAR Filing Documents for 0000899243-21-044242

Last edited:
Filing deadline was 5:30 PM Eastern, so about 30 minutes ago. And the SEC FAQ says documents appear online 1-3 minutes after they've been accepted. So presumably the SEC could take their time accepting the document, but I'm not seeing a Form 4 for Elon this week yet:

EDIT: Opened up a few of Elon's previous filings to see the timestamps, and the latest "Accepted" timestamp I saw was 21:42 (9:42 PM), and the earliest I saw was 18:23 (6:23 PM). So it seems like the SEC can take their sweet time on posting forms if they want.
I expect tomorrow likely another ugly day.

I've noticed a small but important change in the way mainstream media classifies TSLA... as a mega-cap tech stock. Now, our reaction may be something like "no $#!+" or "about time", or something even more cynical like "conveniently when big tech is in bear market territory". But it wasn't long ago that Tesla wasn't even considered an auto company by these nitwits. We are finally starting to see an acceptance in mainstream media of what we've known for a long time, and that'll gradually impact the way the public perceives TSLA as well.

Separately, I'd be very interested to see the daily order chart for these last 2 weeks. Not that Tesla will show it off like they did to highlight the Superbowl effect, but I wouldn't be surprised if the 24/7 coverage of Elon's Twitter purchase had a positive short term impact on sales.

There is a lot of talk on the forum about Elon selling shares. I'm thinking that maybe his Co-investors in twitter are may also be investors in TSLA and that they might need to sell some of there positions to fund the twitter deal.

TSLA being so liquid at these amounts, it’s probably a very good place to get some funds quickly and at a fair price.

It’s also an opportunity for funds like Ron Baron that are capped in % of portfolio to diversify in companies but stay invested in Elon.

If Tesla had missed Q1 would we be at like $600 right now? :rolleyes: I hope the market decides that this amazon and apple money should go into a company that is actually growing profitably, and doesn't get worried about the R word.
I know this will be down voted but IDC. My prediction is Elon is selling a massive amount is shares. Also, like his Twitter acquisition, he's not reporting his transactions as he knows that will push the price down. So he will just take any legal challenges and fines. He will report once he is done selling.
I sure hope not.

I find it peculiar that the market shrugged when Bezos stepped down as CEO.

Between Bezos leaving and my suspicion that the Covid stimulus to Amazon was coming to a close, I sold my AMZN at ~ 3450. At the time, I also thought it interesting that the stock price did not crater. I chalked it up to to an AAPL effect, meaning a wide-spread memory that losing S Jobs did not slow down AAPL.

I know this will be down voted but IDC. My prediction is Elon is selling a massive amount is shares. Also, like his Twitter acquisition, he's not reporting his transactions as he knows that will push the price down. So he will just take any legal challenges and fines. He will report once he is done selling.
So we're entertaining Elon fraud conspiracy theories now? Gotcha 🥴

It IS kind of humorous when put like that. But most of us are looking at it from the perspective of how TSLA will be valued in the future. Not the short term

Contrary to what my wife thinks about me...that i am idiot for having never sold 1 share of $TSLA since 2016 and just kept on buying whenever we had $$ to spare...i think i qualify as 'most of us' on here

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)