Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, it's been a while since this was discussed, but can someone remind me at what value of Bitcoin does Tesla have to report decrease in assets (due to BTC value being less than acquisition cost?) I seem to recall it was around $25k. Also, I believe they have to record it whenever BTC touches that low anytime in the quarter?
Assuming that Tesla is still holding the same amount of Bitcoin:

Tesla BTC units: 42,203
Q2 2021 BTC low: $28,815
New BTC low: $25,275

Impairment charge: ($28,815-$25,275) x 42,203 = $149,398,620

I used the numbers from TheAccountant as a reference.

Is anyone else who doesn't use margin considering using some? My stock is in Chase but I have a TD account with a decent approved amount of margin that I used to day trade in. If things get even uglier from here [$500s] I'm considering moving my holdings back over to TD and buying some TSLA on margin. How long do such transfers usually take? I have the $50k buffer in my Roadster deposit if needed. I'd cancel that today if I knew I'd get the funds soon but I hear it's a nightmare that can take over a month. I'm in a very solid financial situation but don't have more equity to put into the market as I used the last of my powder on a LEAP yesterday. I'm cool and calm as I know this is simply an opportunity but I can't help thinking I should consider taking more advantage of said opportunity.

I'm considering it myself. I rarely use margin (last time was last May). I probably would only dip my toes in at first to see if next week maintains the sell off.

A transfer like that usually takes a couple weeks.

Reactions: NooB_cat
Is anyone else who doesn't use margin considering using some? My stock is in Chase but I have a TD account with a decent approved amount of margin that I used to day trade in. If things get even uglier from here [$500s] I'm considering moving my holdings back over to TD and buying some TSLA on margin. How long do such transfers usually take? I have the $50k buffer in my Roadster deposit if needed. I'd cancel that today if I knew I'd get the funds soon but I hear it's a nightmare that can take over a month. I'm in a very solid financial situation but don't have more equity to put into the market as I used the last of my powder on a LEAP yesterday. I'm cool and calm as I know this is simply an opportunity but I can't help thinking I should consider taking more advantage of said opportunity.

Yes I talked to my bank manager yesterday about a margin loan against by tesla shares so I can use the money I have saved to pay tax to buy more shares, and use the loan to the pay the tax. I have bought 200 shares today and yesterday, and once the loan passes, I will get 500-1,000 more depending on what happens over the next few days.

The bank will raise a loan against 3,000 of my Tesla shares, and I get margin called if the value of these shares drop a further 50% drop from now. They will charge 1% annual interest with a 0.15% commision, so pretty good with no penalty for paying it off early.

I have hardly any risk of losing the shares but if I do get margin called, I either need to add some cash (which I expect to have in 2-3months) or take out a more expensive loan for the difference.

I'm not a big fan of using margin (with all its strings attached) but instead I use my HELOC. That way even if the SP still go down I'm never worried to have a margin call. The monthly interest simply piles on and I pay it back later when I get more money.

Man, are the bulls and bears every slugging it out this morning! The 'per-minute' candles are swinging up to $10 or more. FAQ. :p
I like to peek at the morning volume around 10:30 to tell what kind of day it'll be. A 6M vs 8M first hour of trading usually indicates if MM's can do whatever they want. Today we're looking at what.......18-19M? Wild stuff.

So annoying to see these massive banks swoop in and buy shares so cheap. I guess that's what they pay the MM's for.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I have the $50k buffer in my Roadster deposit if needed. I'd cancel that today if I knew I'd get the funds soon but I hear it's a nightmare that can take over a month. I'm in a very solid financial situation but don't have more equity to put into the market as I used the last of my powder on a LEAP yesterday for that deposit on my Roadster.
FIFY 😁

RIVN up 22%+ on $1.6billion loss while producing 2.5K cars and selling only half of them, meanwhile
TSLA down 2% on $3billion profit and 310K cars. Yeah, market makes perfect sense...
Rivian guidance is the reason. Market was discounting their production that the reiterated at 25k. Market is optimistic on them meeting that for some reason. (I think they will be over 20, but short of 25)

Yeah...
I can see that judge ruling being appealed...
To paraphase: The court has decided that Elon's statements were untrue based on multiple pages of debate, and since we think so, he must have also thought so, and thus acted with scienter.
(Ignoring the included accepted testimony which supports what Elon said in the sense other's says it should have been interpreted )
But, I'm just a caveman...

https://storage.courtlistener.com/r
ecap/gov.uscourts.cand.330489/gov.uscourts.cand.330489.387.0.pdf

RIVN up 22%+ on $1.6billion loss while producing 2.5K cars and selling only half of them, meanwhile
TSLA down 2% on $3billion profit and 310K cars. Yeah, market makes perfect sense...
Agree, but they are ramping. After watching YT reviews, it seems they are making a good product.

The Lightning also appears to be solid. And I think this bodes very well for CT to be an even better truck.