Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I think there’s a Tesla effect at play.
Oh my, you might be on to something.

I was a center right voting BMW M loving car nut before 2017.

By 2019 we had 2 Tesla's. In 2020 I started a course on advising companies to go carbon neutral and now I'm in the board of a local social energy coop and card carrying member of the local Green Party.

What hit me, was the contrast between the HEPA filtered air in my Model X, and the diesel fumes outside of my kid's school. The frog in boiling water effect.

And I've been meeting people who, since the rising energy prices, have also been questioning their dependency on fossil fuels and energy.

Looking at the plans posted on twitter (the thread has more details)...

The first floor is 69' x 69' nice

They will be showing films that are about 30 minutes long (so they're the typical length of a charge session). This of course means that most people will see the end of one and the beginning of another, but still means you won't be missing out on an epic blockbuster.

This reminds me of the https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/ which I have really enjoyed when I was there.
As I remember, Disney's Drive In Sc-Fi theatre has a full bar ("a glass full of Chardo" helped the Muppet Show go down) probably not a good Idea for the Tesla Drive in?

And Musk might be looking to do a Gawker against Business Insider, or at least find something to get past motions to dismiss to do discovery on them.
Even if a Gawker-style bankruptcy doesn’t result, it puts publications in a dilemma based on the nature of their corruption:

1) Extortion. If a publication is defaming Tesla because Tesla refuses to pay for advertising, the suits could prove more costly than the fees advertising would bring in. They might change their behavior.

2) Hired muscle. If a publication is defaming Tesla because the publication is being paid by a hidden third party that wants Tesla to fail, the suits could prove more costly than the payments being received. This also might have the effect of exposing the hidden third party. The third party might go away or try something else, or the publication could tell them that the deal is off.

In regards to the 9K Ton IDRA press reported by Alex V. Assuming Tesla uses these for all Cyber Trucks, I wonder how they have test vehicles without them installed? I would assume they mocked up the frame to get other things moving, but it would seem much harder without the base casting. I dont think many people had the opportunity to get pictures of the subframe at gigafest to check. If IDRA has them assembled in Italy I bet we start getting things shipped in Q3 to Austin. Based off the nearly daily pictures of Austin I don't remember them mentioning a larger press, only the smaller ones for Model Y.

In regards to the 9K Ton IDRA press reported by Alex V. Assuming Tesla uses these for all Cyber Trucks, I wonder how they have test vehicles without them installed? I would assume they mocked up the frame to get other things moving, but it would seem much harder without the base casting. I dont think many people had the opportunity to get pictures of the subframe at gigafest to check. If IDRA has them assembled in Italy I bet we start getting things shipped in Q3 to Austin. Based off the nearly daily pictures of Austin I don't remember them mentioning a larger press, only the smaller ones for Model Y.

As Musk has said - "prototypes are easy, volume production is hard".

Telsa hasn't ever bought a casting machine for other prototypes before building them.

With the Model Y they used 2-piece cast rear subframe until they got the single piece casting figured out. I assume they did something similar for the Cybertruck using the 6000 ton presses.

On the Starlink coverage map, it looks like by eoy 2023 we're going to have worldwide coverage of high throughput internet access.

Current list of internet speeds by country: List of countries by Internet connection speeds - Wikipedia

Some thoughts on logistics and supply chain with IoT (which requires ...internet access):

Starlink could seriously reduce costs on the logistics of Tesla's delivery network as well as improve connectivity of the vehicle fleet.

If they just need a few for prototypes they could mill them by hand out of a block of aluminium. They might even have 3D printers large enough.

GigaPresses are needed for cost, speed and volume rather than being the only method of turning aluminium into the shape needed for a prototype.

Musk getting extensive discussion on CNN “Reliable Sources “ Sunday morning.

Had live interview with editor of BI and questioned his confidence in his sources. He states well vetted and confident in source. Points out neither party has denied the settlement. Queried again on risk of being sued and continued to reflect confidence in the story and how Musk was given time to respond.

Also discussed on Bill Maher Friday night.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kbM3
Elon Musk is ruining the Tesla brand with his recent tweets and conduct. As investors we are losing money needlessly. I look forward to him stepping aside and having Tesla professional run by the engineers doing the hard work.
This is not going to happen. If you are waiting for someone else to run Tesla I suggest you come back around 2030. And as already stated, if you are long time investor and have not sold, you have not lost money.

But you’re right about TSLA getting trashed as the rest of the market has been marching upwards. Umm, actually no…….

Interesting suggestion. probably correct as to BI — less likely both as to intent and success if attempted against LATimes and NYT. You might recall Tesla’s legally unsuccessful lawsuit against TopGear in the UK. The UK doesn’t have anything like a first amendment and Tesla had pretty good facts from what I recall, but they still lost. It is hard in the West to succeed on defamation claims.

But I am seeing Peter Thiel’s influence on Musk right now. Both politically and the new litigation threats. Peter Thiel famously (and probably rightly) took down Gawker The Most Expensive Comment in Internet History?. by litigation except he did it by proxy through funding Hulk Hogan’s lawsuit. I like Peter Thiel for this although am undecided on his other actions, including apparent support for Trump where he must think Trump and many of the people on his administration were corrupt or moronic or both — Yet he still seemed to think the pro-business-sort-of-libertarian policies were enough to allow him to hold his nose and support them. Maybe Musk is doing the same politically now.

And Musk might be looking to do a Gawker against Business Insider, or at least find something to get past motions to dismiss to do discovery on them.

I agree that the tweet recruiting for lawyers is not likely to get enough in house lawyers to fully vertically integrate litigation projects. Litigation work involves very lumpy work — all hands on deck for weeks at a time, and then sometimes just months of waiting doing very little — hard to staff that appropriately in house. Law firms can spread that lumpiness over many clients and allows them to maintain the staff needed. Also I think experienced law firm lawyers are compensated at levels that would be hard for Tesla to stomach even with generous equity comp.

In addition to Peter Thiel, I think Musk may also be influenced by defamation litigation in Asia which is much more a thing. The face-saving culture in Asia results in more, and more tolerance for, legal action against defamation. Whereas insults or out-right lies in the west would be ignored or tolerated with no legal recourse, in Asia, they can and more often do result in litigation. Tesla China is certainly doing that and Tesla US may try it more and while unlikely to ultimately win, as a plaintiff getting to the discovery stage and making the defendants miserable is sort of winning. As more typically a Defendant, Tesla is often on the losing side of that calculation but may be looking for more opportunities as a plaintiff.
Well stated Bhxmark. The observation about getting past motions in order to do discovery is pretty astute... too bad Bull is going off the air as I can envision a great episode with Elon hiring TAC. As for using Twitter to hire lawyers, I think it was meant to inform friends and foes mainly that this was it, enough, he's standing up from now on not just settling with an NDA. Just that announcement in itself may be enough to make potential accusers think twice before making false assertions.

The way to get *advanced* is to not complain about everything that upsets you, but rather ACT constructively about events and consciously put yourself into a life where you aren’t bothered by every little thing that goes on around you.

When I don’t like something going on in my life, I change it. I don’t complain about it. I remove it, or myself, or make a new choice, or change myself and how I view it, etc…
Yet you spend a lot of time complaining when anyone takes issue with something Elon has said or done. It's a discussion board, there is no requirement to avoid all criticism of Elon or Tesla. Elon is not always right and since he's the CEO of Tesla it's perfectly rational to discuss his actions.

I do not mean to be critical nor do not acknowledge Elon Musk's contribution. I am impressed with Tesla and want it to succeed and have invested in the company. But I am an environmentalist. I belief we need to switch away from a fossil fuel economy asap as global warming is rapidly advancing. Thus politicizing Tesla is ruining the brand unnecessarily and the mission of improving our environment. I realize stock losses are only at time of sale.

Update: As forecast, Australia has a new Labor govt. Real action on climate change is promised. The outgoing coalition were trounced, primarily because of their lightweight climate policies. Sends a clear signal to other nations. Get serious or go.
The hope of independents holding the balance still a slim chance, however if just 5 of the 19 “too close to call” seats fall to the new Labor govt they will rule solus.
All told, a great win for clean energy.
That's great! My Aussie cousin is traveling to the states in about a month and I will definitely ask her about Tesla. She's from Adelaide and I'm curious about any Tesla saturation there as I haven't heard much about South Australia.

My Mum and Gramma Mum came from Australia and I'm very proud of my Australian heritage. I'm very happy to see the recent change in government down under. Perhaps they can work with Tesla (and others) to make the entire continent green. I've imagined a huge solar farm with battery backup in the outback that produces energy to power the whole country.

The Aussies have shown in the past how to combat gun violence and with the technology available today, they could show the rest of the world just how to utilize clean power effectively, efficiently, and affordably... no worries!