Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah the stock wants to finish over $750 today, but will the MM's allow it? Going to be an interesting end to the week!
Not that I'm espousing it, but several of the technical analysis guys have been talking about $745-$750 being a strong resistance level. (Wedge, moving average, channels, blah, blah, blah.) If accurate, a close ~$760 would be a good omen for the near future.

The point is that Tesla is underperforming in solar & storage, and is underperforming globally. That both means that the global energy transformation is proceeding more slowly than if Tesla were performing well in solar & storage, and it means that something is wrong within Tesla that is not getting fixed.

All the excuses being trotted out are lame, including "no chips" (so how come others are getting chips); "no batteries" (so how come others are getting batteries); "we make cars" (fine, but please walk & chew gum); "it's difficult in the USA" (so do stuff outside the USA).
This applies here as well.

Tesla's mission isn't to be the most productive solar and storage company, nor to offer the best prices, nor is it even to keep shareholders happy.

Read the Mission Statement if there is any confusion about this on your part.

Not that I'm espousing it, but several of the technical analysis guys have been talking about $745-$750 being a strong resistance level. (Wedge, moving average, channels, blah, blah, blah.) If accurate, a close ~$760 would be a good omen for the near future.

To be fair, pick nearly any number above current and you can find several TA guys telling you why that number is a strong resistance level-- same as for nearly any # below you can find several TA guys telling you why that number is a strong support level.

Then they'll all get into a deathmatch over which of the dozen or more different MAs is "the important one" and tell each other how the other guy drew his lines wrong to reach the wrong conclusions, etc...

And with so many guesses, each of them gets to be right occasionally, despite being wrong more often.

Reading tea leaves is better- at least then you can get a nice cup of tea out of it.

Compare it to QQQ, which is trading flat on low volume. It sure feels like there is some accumulation happening.

Yeah, TSLA has significant buying interest right now, up +$14 since the lunchtime 'bear-burp', back to the Upper-BB (now 758.58)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-07-08.14-38.png

Cheers to the Longs!

And more "positive" Cruise news:
(I guess it depends upon your perspective...)

Yeah, it’s CNBC, but man, I don’t want to hear ANY more FUD about Tesla fires.

In May Ford recalled about 39,000 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator large SUVs in the U.S. and told owners to park them outdoors and away from buildings. On Friday the company expanded that recall to cover more than 66,000 vehicles from the 2021 model year after getting reports of five more fires

This deep discussion into solar and storage feels like a topic that is better served discussing over the weekend (if at all).

To get us back to the matter at hand going into the last two hours of trading, I'm loving the over-performance on good volume (I suspect the two are very closely related). This has been a great short week of trading. Compare it to QQQ, which is trading flat on low volume. It sure feels like there is some accumulation happening.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the spike back >$750 an hour ago, as it made perfect sense to me that the MMs would do everything they could to cap the SP at $750. It will be very interesting to see how the last two hours of trading goes.

Happy weekend all!

Personally I have to disagree - I have wanted to hear the hive-mind's thoughts on the Tesla Energy side of things for a while. This was a good review. I have also been impatient to see them disrupt the energy market as thoroughly as they have the auto industry. I agree this has not happened yet. My takeaway from a lot of the good facts brought to light here (thank you all who brought up relevant history and current plans) us that, if the 4680 ramp is eventually successful in the cost-cutting and massive-scaling goals they set for it, then Tesla Energy will be set for significant market penetration if not outright disruption - disruption in particular when considering their stealth software Virtual Power Plant efforts.
How much of this comes to pass will depend on the rate of scale of the 4680's and some associated efforts. We on this group are impatient since we rehash these things every day, but I have not forgotten that the Battery Day presentation talked about a 5 year plan to "fully realize" all the possible gains from 4680 production. Years, not months, not days.
Some progress has already been shown, and the early 4680's are no longer vapor - Sandy Munroe is cutting into some right now. I expect even these early ones will help Tesla's automotive and Energy margins, and the ongoing improvements should both stack and scale: this is what they planned.
Patience, young Skywalkers. ;)
Relatedly, I am becoming convinced that in 2024 the Model Y will be earth's best selling car of any type. The 4680's available then will be even cheaper and provide better range and use less energy in manufacturer that even those we have in mid 2022.
On the solar panel front, hard for me to see if they will ever penetrate that massive market a lot - I am wondering if anyone else thinks the biggest payoff from the Solar City buyout might be that Tesla gets their massive internal-use-only panel demand met at internal wholesale prices. Let us not forget the 2021 Impact Report showing those much-maligned panels have generated all the power Tesla and every Tesla ever charged has used. One day they'll be done covering their factories with panels and start shading all the Supercharger installations with panels (I hope anyway; mighty hot at those in the Texas summer).
Appreciate all the good discussion, even and perhaps especially the skeptical. Good weekend all.