Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We know you can't easily buy powerwalls. We know that the wait list for megapacks is huge. We also know that competitors are shipping powerwall type solutions that are every bit as useful and there is no wait.

I'm curious if you have any more detail on this? Who is shipping just-as-good-as-powerwall solutions, as cheap or cheaper- and doing so in larger volumes than Tesla and with no wait? (and in what volumes, at what profit?)

Because if all of that is true- then why is there a wait for powerwalls? Why wouldn't those customers buy one of these allegedly just as good, no-wait solutions?

I agree with some of the criticism regarding Tesla solar. Would like to have panels and a power wall. No matter how I look at the numbers, it ends up being significantly more expensive than my electric bill. Keep in mind not every one posting in this thread is retired with a hoard of money they don't know how to spend.

I spoke with a Tesla sales rep yesterday while at service. She did a great job answering detailed questions around solar. From my point of view, the power wall pricing is the problem. $11,000 for 13kWh is too high.

On another note, that location informed me that Tesla does not permit test drives of Plaid vehicles. Buy it or don't, no driving it first, and likely to be the same for Roadster.

It is of course exactly the right comparison. They are two solutions that offer exactly the same outcome, a roof of some other sort and solar from some other solution compared to a roof tile. There are factors such as home resale, costs, lifespan etc but at the end of the day you have an expensive roof and solar power. … You don't even have to have the solar system on your own property, you can buy solar power from a utility scale solar farm. If that power is 10x cheaper than solar roof power why buy a solar roof?
If cost of the power were the sole factor then sure. And if that were true, the residential solar market in general and in particular the retrofit rooftop solar market would be almost nothing and utility-scale would be overwhelmingly dominant, except in niche cases where somehow the cost to the consumer is less than the cost of utility scale solar. But it’s not. Per IEA data, only two-thirds of the solar PV market globally is utility-scale, with the rest split between commercial and residential (link).

People want home solar for all kinds of reasons and often are willing to pay extra for it. For example, a lot of people think the Tesla Solar Roof looks very cool and will impress other people.

Solar roof is just not competitive.
People are still buying and there’s still a long order backlog for Tesla to work through while figuring out how to make installation easier and cut costs. Give it time.

Tesla cars (before pandemic) were competitive with high end models with which they competed. Maybe a small premium but then you could feel good and do good.
Tesla cars are even more competitive than ever right now. Have you looked at the rising prices, sales volume, market share and order lead times? Tesla now leads the American luxury car market segment in unit sales by a large and growing margin while earning much more profit per car than anyone except Ferrari. Tesla is arguably a quasi-monopoly in the USA, especially with around 90% of customers expressing interest in buying only Tesla cars ever again.

4 years ago they not only shorted the solar solutions and threw it in a closet but they forgot they had locked it in the closet and then forgot what closet. Then they found it and raised the price while alternatives had fallen. It is not just solar roof it is panels as well, they are losing marketshare while others are growing and making profits.
Explained in the Q4 ‘17 report:
“We also deployed 87 MW of energy generation systems in Q4, which is 20% less than Q3 2017. Solar MW deployed declined as volumes continue to be impacted by our decision to close certain sales channels earlier this year and to focus on projects with better margins. In addition, solar deployments were affected by the short supply of Powerwalls for customers who wanted solar plus Powerwall in their house. While volumes may continue to be impacted by these factors over the near-term, we expect growth to resume later this year.”

And in Q1 ‘18:
“We also deployed 76 MW of solar energy generation systems in Q1. Cash and loan system sales made up 66% of residential deployments in the quarter, up from 31% in Q1 2017 and 9% in Q1 2016. Due to higher upfront cash sales, lower emphasis on less profitable commercial projects and consolidation of our sales channels, our solar business had slightly positive cash flow throughout 2017. We are expecting cash flow from our solar business to remain at this level in the first half of 2018 and then improve significantly thereafter.
Solar deployments have declined over the last few quarters due in large part to our strategic decision to shutter certain sales channels and market segments. These decisions had a negative impact on our deployments but created a positive impact on our cash generation. Furthermore, a significant part of our customer base is waiting for a Powerwall before getting their solar panels installed. We continue to prioritize Powerwall deliveries when they are sold together with our retrofit solar panels, and this should have a positive impact on our solar deployments in upcoming quarters.”
Then in Q2 ‘18 they lost sales volume from switching the sales channel solely to Tesla showrooms and the website in exchange for cutting customer acquisition costs dramatically. This was a time when Tesla’s free cash flow was under enormous stress and the company was in danger of going bankrupt. Solar was the least of their worries.

At the current trajectory Tesla may exit the solar install market in a couple of years.
Lol wut? Wanna bet on that?

Have you even looked at the trajectory or read the quarterly reports? Solar deployments have doubled since 2019 despite now being almost entirely cash orders and Solar Roof deployments tripled in 2021.

1F26D8DE-DE1E-4863-8431-74F9AE596EA4.jpeg
“Solar deployments were 345 MW in 2021, increasing by 68% YoY, with cash/loan purchases accounting for nearly all solar deployments. Solar Roof deployments nearly tripled YoY in 2021 and continued to grow sequentially in Q4. We are making further cost improvements, particularly on installation, to increase energy profitability.”

The storage market is just a bit mind boggling. To be market leader and then just completely atrophy for 4-5 years is bizarre.
It is neither mind-boggling nor bizarre whatsoever. Once again, Tesla management explicitly has said multiple times that they hamstrung growth of the energy storage business because of allocating finite cell supply (and since 2020, finite chip supply) to vehicles instead of Powerwalls and Megapacks. Vehicle demand has surprised them and they make far more profit per kWh on cars than on energy storage while also gathering data from a bigger vehicle fleet for driving FSD progress which they’ve said is the top priority for the mission of the company. They also were busy quietly building the world’s largest factory for utility-scale batteries without telling anybody what they were doing. It’s just basic economic decision-making in the face of scarcity.

Like posting they made a million 4680 cells in February. Not a million a day...a million up to that point in time. That announcement was not great, it was troubling and pointed to severe (unexpected) difficulties with the 4680 ramp.
That is not a deduction that can be confidently made from the public information.

Drew specifically stated that they are ramping 4680 production slowly and deliberately with a lot of engineering downtime to revise the line, change machinery, etc in order to improve cost, yield and throughput to prepare for volume production later this year. Chips are the limiting factor right now, not batteries. Drew said that existing stockpiles of cells plus continued shipments from suppliers exceeds Tesla’s ability to use the cells currently. Drew and Elon have expressed confidence that 4680 volume production will be rolling later in 2022. If the ramp is actually having severe difficulties with no clear path to resolution in time for meeting cell needs by 2023, then that would mean they’re either totally clueless or flat out lying.

In fact, we don’t even know if Tesla is attempting to maximize total 4680 cell production right now. They might have been spending most of the last several quarters running the line only long enough to gather sufficient data for the next round of design iteration.

We do know that initial 4680 production hasn’t gone totally smoothly but we do not have clear evidence of severe problems and management has said the problems and optimizations will be ready in time for late 2022.

They don't have the batteries. Huwai has the batteries and chips. LG has them. Lots of others have them. Half a billion in megapacks is nothing when the demand is magnitudes of order above that.
Tesla’s Q4 ‘21 report shows that energy storage deployments have increased 10x between 2017 and 2021.

They are ramping a 40 GWh Megapack factory right now which will do another 11x jump from their production rate over 2021, and that’s assuming the nominal production capacity isn’t sandbagged like the “500k+” number for Giga Shanghai.

They say Megapack deliveries will double, triple or quadruple in 2022 alone as production grows at Lathrop.

Again, Tesla has chips and batteries, but they’re putting most of them in cars on purpose. To my knowledge, LG and Huawei don’t have products to put chips and batteries in that get 30% gross margin and collect critical data for autonomous driving development.

Tesla used to be exciting and interesting and the products released had the real potential to change the world. With the exception of auto that no longer seems to be the case at all.
Ok

Even in Auto they have raised prices to such an extent that they are going to be unaffordable to the general market, it is now a pure luxury product. Longer term as EV solutions role out (and they are rolling out) Tesla used car market will have challenges.
Yet market share is growing and the order backlog is longer than ever. People are stretching to buy Teslas and sacrificing elsewhere in their budgets to get one. With the incredible resale value the depreciation is almost negligible after multiple years of ownership, and the LFP powertrains as well as the nickel 4680 powertrains should have the long-awaited million-mile life.

Even now a bolt at $20k less than a model 3 is a price point that makes one pause.
Not really. Bolt sales volume is anemic. GM sells like 2 or 3 thousand Bolts per month, almost certainly with negative gross margins at the current price.

GM has done nothing to indicate they know how to make a reliable BEV.

Last edited:
Wonderful...so they have a sales model that does not work, they did something 4 years ago and it didn't work. If you price Tesla panels they are more expensive. They can't scale if they can't sell. I mean I am sympathetic to the sales problem in solar, I really am. I have seen the same data you have re the costs of solar. But consider this. If Tesla can't solve a relatively simple market sales process...how can they solve a complex problem like designing an octovalve? etc. It reeks of lack of management attention and leadership.
That's just it, these are not "relatively simple market sales process" problems. Solar sales is a $2.2B mega-market with all the lobbyists and govt entities behind it. Fighting sales in solar is very similar to fighting legacy fossil interests. In a lot of instances, it's the same players doing the fighting. Remember, NVEnergy and the state of Nevada teamed up to stall out residential solar in 2015/16. We never recovered IMO.

On the surface the solution seems simple, but there are no easy steps in this transition. Tesla is priced AMAZINGLY low for standard solar panels. For folks with moderate 8kW needs, they're the best deal in the land. There's just no conduit for sales and the entire $2.2B marketplace spends half their time trashing Tesla panels that "will burn your house down".

It's a complex problem. I think Tesla will be over the hump by very early 2024 and the market will start humming nationwide. I had hoped it would be this spring, but covid kinda ruined that.

New buildings were not a priority. Tesla had several mockup homes in California to practice roof installation in an effort to increase efficiencies and reduce install time. However, as has been discussed before the number one pain is the myriad permitting rules and regulations that are not standardized. It wasn't until closer to the end of last year when they focused more on new homes.

Solar roof continues to be a priority for Elon and I look forward to improvements in this part of Teslas business in the future.
I could have sworn the new buildings were the focus day one - I even recall hearing that the changeover would be too expensive years ago (sorry no sources). But then like you say, prices jumped up on the new roof to unrealistic levels. However, the reasons given were that homes with many rooflines added to the construction costs so their estimates were off.

Regarding regulations, there was a Tesla team assigned to turn each major city into a well defined process, standardized where you can. (Thinking similar to FSD city to city). Maybe that was too difficult or more specific to panels only processes. But at no time did I ever think Tesla was targeting my existing roof for glass tiles. Just on the surface, how would consumers be expected to pay for 2 roofs? Seems flawed from the start.

Elon didn't short-change the residential solar team, he eliminated the problem(1-to-1 sales) at SolarCity and then waited for a new viable solution. It's not his fault the marketplace has only gotten worse in the years since the acquisition.

Tesla moved to cheap online sales in an effort to simply do something, and there they sit today. Perfectly sound gameplan given their options. I've been staring at this marketplace since 2014 and it's the entire country that's stagnated, not Tesla. Installs have grown, but nowhere near at the rate they should.

All this is due to 1-to-1 sales, which by it's very definition does not scale. Sales cost in residential solar alone has grown to $2.2B/yr and now has become the business, not the actual solar technology. That's a tough nut to crack, but the market is slowly changing. Efficiency is inevitable.

Once 1-to-1 sales is cracked, Tesla will quickly wipe out all the other nationwide players. I mean.....Tesla is $2 and everyone else is $3.
You do realise solar gets installed all over the world, not just in USA, don't you ?

Every solar installer and manufacturer around the world that I know - and I do know a few - is getting RSI from cranking the cash register at warp speed and hiring crews and raising prices to manage the insane demand.

Just how good do Tesla want the market to become before they re-enter, or is Tesla solar going to be just an also-ran in a few US states ?

I'm curious if you have any more detail on this? Who is shipping just-as-good-as-powerwall solutions, as cheap or cheaper- and doing so in larger volumes than Tesla and with no wait? (and in what volumes, at what profit?)

Because if all of that is true- then why is there a wait for powerwalls? Why wouldn't those customers buy one of these allegedly just as good, no-wait solutions?
They are switching.

Often to Huawei.

You do realise solar gets installed all over the world, not just in USA, don't you ?

Every solar installer and manufacturer around the world that I know - and I do know a few - is getting RSI from cranking the cash register at warp speed and hiring crews and raising prices to manage the insane demand.

Just how good do Tesla want the market to become before they re-enter, or is Tesla solar going to be just an also-ran in a few US states ?
Our marketplace is utterly insane. Nothing even remotely like it exists in Europe(or anywhere really). It's not a market for solar anymore, it's hungry hungry hippos for sales commissions. So inefficient it boggles the mind.

Put it this way....no large scale solar installer has ever made a profit in the US. Ever. In the rare occasion where SolarCity, Vivint, or Sunrun have shown a sliver of profit, it's for the most part accounting tricks. The business model being used does not scale and cannot be profitable. It's madness.

This is why I tell folks Germany won't have a problem getting to at least near 100% renewables by 2032. When they finally decide to actually do something, they do it efficiently.

• Funny
Reactions: Johann Koeber
That's just it, these are not "relatively simple market sales process" problems. Solar sales is a $2.2B mega-market with all the lobbyists and govt entities behind it. Fighting sales in solar is very similar to fighting legacy fossil interests. In a lot of instances, it's the same players doing the fighting. Remember, NVEnergy and the state of Nevada teamed up to stall out residential solar in 2015/16. We never recovered IMO.

On the surface the solution seems simple, but there are no easy steps in this transition. Tesla is priced AMAZINGLY low for standard solar panels. For folks with moderate 8kW needs, they're the best deal in the land. There's just no conduit for sales and the entire $2.2B marketplace spends half their time trashing Tesla panels that "will burn your house down".

It's a complex problem. I think Tesla will be over the hump by very early 2024 and the market will start humming nationwide. I had hoped it would be this spring, but covid kinda ruined that.
Part is also that they consistently destroy their reputation with the customer experience.

My neighbor across the street had a leak from his, they came out to help but he was pretty upset at the whole process afterwards.

My other neighbor that just now got a solar install with power walls from Tesla was told 'no, do it with somebody else later' when he asked to add a Tesla home charger to the project since he also has ordered a Model Y.

But of course doing this separately makes no sense, the end result is the powerwall and inverter related equipment is placed without the charger in mind and things would need to get moved. On top of that he waited weeks for permission to operate, when inquiring finding out the paperwork wasn't filed by Tesla.

These stories go around and my other neighbor did not get Tesla solar because of what he heard. I myself also ended up getting my three power walls from a third party installer because the Tesla solar team said no to filing the SGIP paperwork. I would have gotten only 2 instead of 3 power walls for my money if I had gone with Tesla.

On the flip side they are really quick and were able to install for my neighbor in one day, if they had not forgotten to file the permission to operate paperwork and refused to include the Tesla home charger in the project, that would have been really impressive and he would walk around talking about that instead.

Yeah I think under 750 is likely, and under 760 is nearly a sure thing. But…. How about this outperformance? ;)
Will it hold? I'd like to see some hedgies try and pop it over $750 at close.

Today was going to be a QQQ down day until TSLA decided to pop, so I assume it'll be easy enough to cap at 749. At least we know MM's have to build their naked short position to get it done.

Onward and upward!

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I spoke with a Tesla sales rep yesterday while at service. She did a great job answering detailed questions around solar. From my point of view, the power wall pricing is the problem. $11,000 for 13kWh is too high.

On another note, that location informed me that Tesla does not permit test drives of Plaid vehicles. Buy it or don't, no driving it first, and likely to be the same for Roadster.
They'll sell you a Model S 85kWh replacement pack for $11,000 !!! Something's going on there 🤔

RE: no test drives for Plaids... that's quite the change from just a few years ago. As a P85 owner and well-known at the showroom I went to test-drive a P100D. I brought along an 18yr-old friend of mine for the thrill. The iPad-brandishing Tesla staffer looked at us and said "are you both driving today...?" to which we nodded, wide-eyed. The 18yr-old got to test-drive the P100D that had been lighting up the media with its Ludicrous standing starts 🤪 One could say this change is snobbish, but honestly I approve. You can test-drive a base model and the Plaid is... faster.

Looks like the parent of the 2yr-old who triggered that massive buying this morning has come back to their laptop!!!

Our marketplace is utterly insane. Nothing even remotely like it exists in Europe(or anywhere really). It's not a market for solar anymore, it's hungry hungry hippos for sales commissions. So inefficient it boggles the mind.

Put it this way....no large scale solar installer has ever made a profit in the US. Ever. In the rare occasion where SolarCity, Vivint, or Sunrun have shown a sliver of profit, it's for the most part accounting tricks. The business model being used does not scale and cannot be profitable. It's madness.

This is why I tell folks Germany won't have a problem getting to at least near 100% renewables by 2032. When they finally decide to actually do something, they do it efficiently.
Then open Tesla Solar in Germany. Or Italy. Or Greece. Or China. Or wherever. Either Tesla is a rationally-managed global company with a revolutionary mission, or its just a way of Elon passing time in between breeding wildly.

Did you see the info from Germany I posted on the news thread today ? That is going to be the mother of all solar bonanzas at these FIT rates.

Exactly, and they are doing so.

For instance, last July a partnership was announced with Brookfield and Dacra for a Tesla solar roof and Powerwall neighborhood in Austin.

Alset is another subdivision development company looking to build in the entire Tesla ecosystem from the start, although they’re new and might not make it.

It’s quite possible Tesla has pivoted to focusing Solar Roof development on new home builds without saying anything.
Look at what's behind Alset, they can weather well over time.

Part is also that they consistently destroy their reputation with the customer experience.

My neighbor across the street had a leak from his, they came out to help but he was pretty upset at the whole process afterwards.

My other neighbor that just now got a solar install with power walls from Tesla was told 'no, do it with somebody else later' when he asked to add a Tesla home charger to the project since he also has ordered a Model Y.

But of course doing this separately makes no sense, the end result is the powerwall and inverter related equipment is placed without the charger in mind and things would need to get moved. On top of that he waited weeks for permission to operate, when inquiring finding out the paperwork wasn't filed by Tesla.

These stories go around and my other neighbor did not get Tesla solar because of what he heard. I myself also ended up getting my three power walls from a third party installer because the Tesla solar team said no to filing the SGIP paperwork. I would have gotten only 2 instead of 3 power walls for my money if I had gone with Tesla.

On the flip side they are really quick and were able to install for my neighbor in one day, if they had not forgotten to file the permission to operate paperwork that would have been impressive.
Yes, the inflexibility is a problem. My assumption is that because service is always handled by sales teams in the US solar market, Elon has stonewalled any effort to augment the service end of things. He does NOT want to risk giving salespeople a foothold in his organization. And correctly so.

Hence no communication, hence the bad reputation is allowed to circulate unopposed. It's a subtle people problem that Elon's probably not the best suited to solve.

Even so, I think standing pat is still the right move through this summer. There's no better angle at the moment, other than dumping massive amount of money into building a centralized service center that's deeply embedded in the process of each and every install hub. Very unlikely to happen.

Hey, they offer a very inexpensive option for people who just want a standard install. I plan to talk to some friends and neighbors about it this summer/fall and see if I can drum up some sales.

Will it hold? I'd like to see some hedgies try and pop it over $750 at close.

Today was going to be a QQQ down day until TSLA decided to pop, so I assume it'll be easy enough to cap at 749. At least we know MM's have to build their naked short position to get it done.

Onward and upward!
I think 760 will hold pretty strong. Too important of a pivot. Above it, is very bullish. Under 750 would be the ideal for MM, but losing it isn’t the end of the world for them. I still think mid 740s… but 750-752 wouldn’t shock me

Then open Tesla Solar in Germany. Or Italy. Or Greece. Or China. Or wherever. Either Tesla is a rationally-managed global company with a revolutionary mission, or its just a way of Elon passing time in between breeding wildly.

Did you see the info from Germany I posted on the news thread today ? That is going to be the mother of all solar bonanzas at these FIT rates.

No need to touch small-scale solar in Germany, they already have a robust install market that runs hyper-efficiently. Mission is already accomplished there.

Reactions: gene
I think 760 will hold pretty strong. Too important of a pivot. Above it, is very bullish. Under 750 would be the ideal for MM, but losing it isn’t the end of the world for them. I still think mid 740s… but 750-752 wouldn’t shock me
Do you think there's also pressure to keep all of QQQ under control? That might be leeching into our capping as well. Wouldn't want a full-blown tech reversal to kickoff.

That's a pretty big change if it's really true beyond that location--- a few years back Tesla gave me a P100D to take home with me for 24 hours for test driving purposes (even after I was clear at the time I already had a 3 on pre-order and mainly just wanted to see how the larger car felt- an S75 would've worked just as well or even an old used S60- and indeed the experience confirmed I'd want to just wait for the 3)