Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gary's question was actually not a bad one. A succession plan is good to have, even if the current CEO plans to remain indefinitely, in case of any kind of a catastrophe. Elon should consider at least having one man prepared to take over the duties of the CEO. Zach would be a perfectly good "interim" CEO in case he is needed, for example. Steve Jobs had quietly been grooming Tim Cook for many years to take over in case anything happened.
I'm sure an organization as smart as Tesla already have their backup plan but it's not something they'd announce publicly.

It wasn't a direct answer but Elon said they are working on notifications for potholes, traffic jams, etc.. Would it be crowd-shared?
Yes, they even already have started that to some extent on the new S&X where if it detects rough road it adjusts the suspension for comfort and notifies the cloud so that future Teslas driving through the same area can adjust the suspension before they hit the rough patch.

He sounded pretty clear he's assuming he'll have to buy Twitter. Maybe there will be a slight discount. Maybe not. Not great for distraction from Tesla... Suspect Twitter will be up again tomorrow. fwiw, I think he'll turn it into a monstrously valuable company. But it won't be easy, and it will make him a lot more enemies.

It is not "have to" it is "wants to" and the current fiasco is just about what the price will be.

As I've always thought, his vision includes a marked advantage to making this acquisition. Even if most people can't see it.

Huh? How is slamming on the brakes the only reason you would turn off autopilot? Have you ever driven a Tesla?
If I calmly want to turn off autopilot, I 'up' the right stalk. I don't understand your question. I think the OP was talking about when you veer to immediately disengage autopilot but TAAC stays engaged.

If it's an emergency situation, veer and / or slam on the brakes, like I did to avoid a boar at midnight on a 70-mph Texas sideroad while driving with TAAC. If not, just disengage, no? I calmly disengage TAAC all the time, I don't get the question.

1659655827760.png

Okay sorry Mods, this is OT. @Nocturnal knows I drive a Tesla from my profile pic. C'mon.

• 2 million run rate by EOY ‘22
  • Aiming for 1.5 million end of year produced

These stats.. Going to go do some math

Edit: The Math

Q1+Q2 Production : 563,000

So 1.5M - 563,000 = 936,000 for Q3+Q4, Averages 468,000 Vehicles in both Q3 and Q4.
So if annual run rate is 2M EOY, 500,000 quarterly EOY22....

Would that mean that Tesla is aiming for 436,000 Produced for Q3?

Last edited:
This dude though. He said a bunch of nonsense but he managed to mention something important.

If you disengage Autopilot/FSD by grabbing the wheel, it remains in "normal" cruise control and the car continues to move forward to maintain speed. THIS IS NOT GOOD BEHAVIOR. If you grab the wheel to disengage, it should also immediately halt speed maintenance and start braking, not continue to try and maintain speed. This is a long-standing issue I have with behavior of Autopilot/FSD.
This would make basic autopilot so ridiculously annoying. Today changing lanes on basic AP is a matter of signal, lane change, re-engage without thinking about a speed change. This also tracks with many other automakers' lane-keep and TACC systems.

TACC deactivation should be an intentional thing. Imagine if you put a little too much force on the wheel while letting the car know you're still paying attention? Or veering slightly to dodge a pothole? Now you're slowing down dramatically and are potentially at risk of being rear-ended if you live in an area where tight tailgating is the norm. Braking and steering are intentional and deliberate actions with very different outcomes and should operate as such.

Gary's question was actually not a bad one. A succession plan is good to have, even if the current CEO plans to remain indefinitely, in case of any kind of a catastrophe. Elon should consider at least having one man prepared to take over the duties of the CEO. Zach would be a perfectly good "interim" CEO in case he is needed, for example. Steve Jobs had quietly been grooming Tim Cook for many years to take over in case anything happened.
I'm sure he/they have a succession plan, I would be quite surprised if they didn't. I think it's a sign of a quality firm to look at all contingencies and Tesla has demonstrated that already in areas like pricing and vertical integration. I agree Zach would be a good candidate, but there's more to succession than just replacing one person. Let's hope however we can keep Elon at least until he goes to Mars...

I might speak a little too soon but I don't think anyone here would have predicted that the share price would stay within a $5 span throughout Elon talking for an hour+. That's gotta be high on the improbability scale.
Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 7.34.51 PM.png

EDIT: That was the best AGM by far that I have seen since first following Tesla/Elon in 2012. It is only a matter of time before the trajectory of TSLA catches up with Tesla and heads North.

Last edited:
Of all the media outlets I expect Teslarati to be more on the ball. Joey, don't you understand how it works?

The shareholders vote to make the shares available, the board votes to approve a split.

What is so difficult about understanding this?

This dude though. He said a bunch of nonsense but he managed to mention something important.

If you disengage Autopilot/FSD by grabbing the wheel, it remains in "normal" cruise control and the car continues to move forward to maintain speed. THIS IS NOT GOOD BEHAVIOR. If you grab the wheel to disengage, it should also immediately halt speed maintenance and start braking, not continue to try and maintain speed. This is a long-standing issue I have with behavior of Autopilot/FSD.

True, but the way he stated it was confusing. I was confused listening to him and I agree that it is a problem!

As expected nothing much out of the annual meeting. Other then the stock split is/will be approved as expected.

I did like that Elon reaffirmed a 20M annual production rate with 10-12 factories as the ultimate vehicle goal for Tesla. Hopefully someone will pick that up and run with it (yeah I know, I'm dreaming).