Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the notes from the dojo presentation:

Some slides: Tesla Dojo Custom AI Supercomputer at HC34

Beyond Compute - Enabling AI through System Integration

Ganesh Venkataramanan, Tesla Motors

The above is INCORRECT. I have it on good pink-faced authority that Telsa is NOT a Tech Company:

hqdefault.jpg

/S

Cheers!

Last edited:
All I hope for is a solid climb beyond $900 - which is maybe happening right now - because I’d like to not read 83,000 posts over the coming months about the bloody battle for 300. 🙄🥱
*grumpliy muttering to myself while putting all the sparta memes back into the archive folder

All I hope for is a solid climb beyond $900 - which is maybe happening right now - because I’d like to not read 83,000 posts over the coming months about the bloody battle for 300. 🙄🥱

I'm looking forward to the battle for $420.69. Which, ironically, is also the battle for the new All Time High.

Yes, the simulation DOES have a sense of humor! :p

They need water to cool them. A key impediment that is now beginning to threaten Tesla is that electrical energy production and natural gas supplies are both threatened by drought. Most of California will be threatened by lack of hydroelectric power, just as most of Europe already is for hydroelectric and now nuclear as well, plus the oft discussed gas shortages. Now electricity production is rapidly declining in parts of China because of hydroelectric stoppages.

Tesla, no matter how wise and creative, cannot overcome all of this.
Of course, most others will be even worse affected.

We should recognize now that Tesla cannot escape the consequences. SpaceX isn't ready to terraform new planets for us to destroy.

May I direct you to Commercial | Tesla

Last I heard Solar PV and Megapacks can replace hydro...

In other news ... Björn has tested NIO ES8 with Battery Swap on 1000km challenge.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-24 um 16.12.31.png

Let's forget that only 2 swap stations are open in Norway and he was ping-pong driving to exactly arrive at one below 10% .... it's 15 minutes!! on a 9h drive.

Sure - Germany is a bit out of scope here as some Germans will tell you we drive 200km/h all the time, but besides that it's amazing. I guess a Model 3 LR around 100kwh should be on par with the ES8 time as you need less stops.

And btw: this does not solve towing, as you can't swap with the trailer on the car, you have to put it down besides the swap station first - same for roof-loads I suppose.

PS: anyone remember?

They need water to cool them. A key impediment that is now beginning to threaten Tesla is that electrical energy production and natural gas supplies are both threatened by drought. Most of California will be threatened by lack of hydroelectric power, just as most of Europe already is for hydroelectric and now nuclear as well, plus the oft discussed gas shortages. Now electricity production is rapidly declining in parts of China because of hydroelectric stoppages.

Tesla, no matter how wise and creative, cannot overcome all of this.
Of course, most others will be even worse affected.

We can examine short term price issues as much as we want to. TSLA needs electricity and food supplies. just as everyone does.

I will not sell because I see no other alternative that is better. On the other hand I am doing all I can to reduce expenditures while providing liquidity to family who had very little.

Most of this can easily go to other threads. Still, the very long term risks are coming right now in almost the entire world, only a bit of the Southern Hemisphere is not yet facing calamity. These are bringing worldwide recession, by definition.

Germany cannot even get coal moving on the Rhine.
Italy loses rice, Mozzarella, and both food and agriculture:
Then consider what will happen very, very soon when the Amazon loses it's sources:

We need not mention the catastrophe happening in the west US, nor the catastrophe caused by the floods when some rain does come.

We should recognize now that Tesla cannot escape the consequences. SpaceX isn't ready to terraform new planets for us to destroy.
At the risk of saying something positive about a shareholder proposal from the last meeting (a request for a report on water related risks which was voted down), I will say this has been on a lot of our minds for a while.
Tesla does mention reduced water usage in the 2021 Impact Report regarding their new factories - but clearly, the factories, their power supplies, and their supply chains depend on water. Giga Austin appears to be doing a lot with regard to the rooftop solar, the perceived likely megapack install, and rainwater collection, all of which help reduce water needs - but this will not save the supply chains.
Agreed that Tesla with its forward focus is likely ahead of the legacy manufacturers in preparing for this challenge, but impacts may well be felt.
(We should all prepare for the flooding next; that's what has happened here in Texas anyway after months of drought, and seems to have become the new pattern.)

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
Do we believe in this? Is this applicable for Tesla's battery chemistries?

Interesting, but I would expect Tesla has a larger and probably better engineering team working on the issue than a national lab. And they are certainly more familiar with the chemistry and internal structure of the batteries and it's limitations.

Last edited:
Tesla might need to keep all Megapack production and solar installs for the Gigafactories.
Honestly, with the slowness of solar sales growth, I have sarcastically thought "well, at least they can get all the Gigafactory roofs covered at wholesale costs".
And given the size of those roofs (!!!), the amount of solar Tesla is putting on in Giga Austin, factoring in the expected new Gigafactories to be announced: this might really not be that insignificant of a thing. Giga Austin has precisely 1.0 metric crap-ton ;) of solar on board, and Giga Nevada seems to be right up there as well.
Telsa, if you are listening: Just please, PLEASE get solar shading over the few Superchargers in West Texas (all the American West FFS). Cannot even touch the handles on those things in the summer since they are in the full sun. (Only partially /s.)

I think this is a good article showcasing how there is an actual market for the Tesla home/buliding HVAC system if they ever want to produce it in the future.

• Electrification of all direct pollution sources in buildings (e.g., space heating and cooking appliances)
  • A massively increased dedication to holistic retrofits, including deep energy efficiency (e.g., for high cooling loads) of our existing buildings to drive down energy demand and support affordability

In Sichuan, China, where there has been a power shortage, “Tesla turned off or restrictes services at more than a dozen super-charging stations in the two cities, leaving just two still in operation and only during the night as of Aug. 17, local media reported, citing a letter from a driver”, reports Bloomberg article - Tesla, Nio Suspend EV Charging Services as China Power Cuts Bite
These should be solar pv-covered stations with storage to provide a little more capacity in these areas, or just to be good grid-supporting community members as a goodwill/PR gesture.

Edit-
@jw934 (thank you) reminds us that this is "one of those promises still to be delivered." - I hope recent events will accelerate the solarization of more stations. I didn't think the solar area of the stations would be near enough to totally power the stations, though, but it would be amazing if it was.

Last edited: