Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not if it's also grid connected and selling during peak usage hours/doing arbitrage for a win-win.
How if it's disconnected from the electricity grid?

1661352093596-png.844493

• Informative
Reactions: Skryll and UncaNed
Disconnecting makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't they put overproduction back into the grid on low demand days at least?
I have to assume he meant that they wouldn't need to draw power from the grid. Of course not all utilities allow you to sell power to them, and if they do it's often a credit vs cash back.

Seems risky anyway. What if you get a few cloudy days over a big travel weekend and people can't charge?

If Tesla wanted to stick solar panels anywhere, Europe would be the best bet, and UK or Germany the most profitable. Our Energy prices are INSANE right now. It looks like almost everyone's bills are up by at least 400-500% and likely to head towards 800% up on a few years ago.

UK wholesale prices: ( 2 years ago the price was Ā£50/mwh)

1661356031548.png

If you have solar panels and can put them anywhere, you would be crazy to stick them in a country like the US when Germany is about to go toe-to-toe with putin over gas in winter, and electricity is going to be the battleground.

If I was Elon I would be absolutely banning Tesla from installing any domestic solar in Germany until every square meter of the Berlin factory is covered in panels.

I have to assume he meant that they wouldn't need to draw power from the grid. Of course not all utilities allow you to sell power to them, and if they do it's often a credit vs cash back.

Seems risky anyway. What if you get a few cloudy days over a big travel weekend and people can't charge?

I think he literally meant disconnected from the grid. By "over time" I think we can assume that this won't be anytime soon for the vast majority of Supercharger locations. Maybe in 15 years or so when battery storage has scaled up to a sufficient degree.

Reactions: Paul_SF and JRP3
Disconnecting makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't they put overproduction back into the grid on low demand days at least?
Not sure how "most" could. So many SC's have no room for moderate or large solar installations. To SC multiple cars off battery and solar is quite a feat in many areas. Even huge SC locations covered with solar can't keep up with the demand of moderate car traffic. Perhaps this means "solar offset" from other remote locations. Perhaps most is subjective or rural.

That's been known for a while though nothing new.

Published: Sep 23, 2020

issued an executive order requiring sales of all new passenger vehicles to be zero-emission by 2035 and additional measures to eliminate harmful emissions from the transportation sector.

If Tesla wanted to stick solar panels anywhere, Europe would be the best bet, and UK or Germany the most profitable. Our Energy prices are INSANE right now. It looks like almost everyone's bills are up by at least 400-500% and likely to head towards 800% up on a few years ago.

UK wholesale prices: ( 2 years ago the price was Ā£50/mwh)

View attachment 844513

If you have solar panels and can put them anywhere, you would be crazy to stick them in a country like the US when Germany is about to go toe-to-toe with putin over gas in winter, and electricity is going to be the battleground.

If I was Elon I would be absolutely banning Tesla from installing any domestic solar in Germany until every square meter of the Berlin factory is covered in panels.

European solar resources suck unfortunately. Outside of Spain, capacity factor is only in the 2-4% range when NG demand is the highest (winter).

Europe is gonna need Spanish or Saharan solar.

The other unfortunate thing is that these energy prices are killing European manufacturing. These prices wonā€™t persist because huge swaths of European industry are basically on a countdown to death at these prices.

726854EF-C1B4-4EFA-A15B-F3BD79EC85A8.png

Even with the euro plunging in value European trade surplus in non-energy trade is basically gone because of these high energy prices.

Supply and demand is going to come back into balance from huge drops in energy intensive European industrial production.

Europe is in a bad, bad spot. Theyā€™re having to fund a rising energy import bill at the same time the competitiveness of their tradable good sector is collapsing from high energy prices.

There will be a steep recession in Europe this winter likely.

Last edited:
Housing report showed prices down .77% month over month. This week's oil report showed yet another build in total commercial stockpiles of crude and refined products, even with insanely high exports.

WH reasserted itself with nearly a full 1Mb/d release from the strategic reserve. Domestic crude production actually dipped a bit.

With more supply supposedly in the mail from both domestic and OPEC+, plus back-to-school ending the "driving season", we should see WTI continue it's drift downward soon.

Combine that with Nordstrom and most retail reiterating huge inventory glut, and these factors point to a dovish Fed in September IMO.