Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's actually not.......I used to think the Beta was 2.1 that of the Nasdaq. As was pointed out to me, that's based on the S&P. The beta for the Nasdaq is 1.5

So........................it's still underperforming 😅
Last time Nasdaq was at these levels, Tesla was 10% lower - so all in all, it sucks be we are doing good. 😉

That the market is affected by that is irrational. If nuclear armagadon takes place, money doesn’t matter at all anymore.
The stock market would shut down anyways. Financial markets like this have existed in some form for centuries/millennia, and such things have happened throughout history. Warren Buffet would say that if you're making a good investment in a security, you won't care if the stock market shuts down entirely for five years. The stock market is a place to trade pieces of businesses, that's it, and it might sound unimaginable but there are scenarios where it could be shuttered if only temporarily.

Pretty far fetched IMO to tie these fears to any significant move in the market though right now, it's not like some stocks are dropping today because people think bombs are about to start flying.

Its pretty crazy how the volume spikes up every time tesla falls through a round number. about 600k sold on the 230 and 225 breaches. We were running lighter on volumes than yesterday and we are solidly outpacing them now, while underperforming beta.

Hopefully will get some respite from options expiry where there are a lot of open puts that are in the money that need to be closed.
Stop losses and panic sales.

Does feel like we are in the middle of The Shining movie when Jack Nicholson screams, "Here's Johnny!"

where's johnny?

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-10-07.12-38.JohnnyCab.png

🤯🤯🤯

I thought I was smart, but I guess not, because I never thought this was coming going into Q3 ER.

You can never predict what the market will do in the future with any certainty.

However, we do know for a fact that:
- Tesla just had a record quarter with production & deliveries
- Tesla will likely have it's best earnings report ever in two weeks
- Q4 will very likely be even better yet.
- Investment credit rating is happening now, that means lots of new share buyers coming in the near future
- Semi's are going into production
- The Twitter overhang is winding down, should be out of our way in a month or so

Given all of these positives, the macro environment is still dragging TSLA down. This is a great buying opportunity for anyone wanting to hold for at least a half year or longer.

Tesla losing a third of its value over twitter and China in the last month.
though twitter is the main culprit.

So Amazon and 50 other Tech companies lost on twitter and China deliveries too?! /S

Or is it the FED raising interest rates, and jaw-boning down the U.S. economy?

But go ahead tell yourself whatever makes you fall asleep bitter. :p

Thanks for the links and your thoughtful reply. But I wasn't talking about Advanced Driver Assistance Systems. I meant completed FSD (Level 4, sleep-in-the-backseat autonomy).

Tesla believes that the only way to achieve such a system is with billions of miles of real-world driving data in addition to the computer simulations that other companies have used. If Tesla's belief is correct, then other companies will not "move quickly" to compete with FSD, because they cannot quickly deploy millions of cars collecting driving data, especially if the cars are festooned with expensive lidar and other sensors like the Waymo and Cruise cars that keep snarling traffic in their small geofenced service areas.

Since you are apparently a knowledgeable researcher of the Chinese auto industry, I asked if you are aware of any Chinese carmakers that are using Tesla's method of FSD development. I take it your answer is no.

I wasn't suggesting that FSD be included as a modeling line item. My thesis is that completed FSD will decimate demand for most cars without it, and ensure overwhelming demand for Tesla cars, regardless of how well other cars compete in other features (colors, fancy interiors, build quality, etc.). I think most folks don't understand this, or won't believe it until they see it.

Waymo and Cruise have been very clear that they will crack self-driving with their computer simulations and small fleets of lidarmobiles. They want it very badly. But wishes ain't fishes. All the failed attempts have proved that self-driving is a very hard problem, for which Tesla has built a world-class software team, millions of data collectors, and their own phenomenal supercomputers for driving and neural net training. I don't think anyone will "move quickly" to match them.

At present Tesla FSD is only at ADAS 2.

I think level 3 is a chimera. Something is either 2 or 4. Selling anything as 3 is a recipe for endless lawsuits up the yin yang.

My expectation is that by the time Tesla FSD is at level 4 and accepted for sale by the regulators in EU and China then other systems will either be fast closing in on level 4 or also have achieved it. I expect they wil do it the same way Tesla is, i.e. vision + neural nets + supercomputers + large scale data acquisition from large fleets.

The reason I think that there will a sufficiency of fast followers (i.e. at least one) is simply from being an engineer in the tech scene who first worked on neural nets in the 80s and has kept a keen eye on things as I've wandered the world ever since in all sorts of R&D and mfg and operations. And who understands the strategic imperatives - wishes aren't fishes, but they do get cash and attention. Nothing more magic sauce than that, no direct pipeline to some secret squirrel info. Other manufacturers are making BEV cars in volume (e.g BYD now has a BEV run rate of 1m/yr, plus another 1m/yr in PHEV) and so once they've cleaned their processes and done the camera fits they can do the full data acquisition in no more than two years. How many of them will do it and which will get there first I am unsure. But it will be done.

I am often wrong. I've been wrong recently in this area. That was when I though a small 2D AESA radar might be helpful, but I was wrong and I now understand why I was wrong. So I could be wrong on this as well. So too might Tesla ------ it may still take a further 10-years to get the requisite march of 9s; and further advances in AI. If so that gives the competition time to catch up. I have a sneaking suspicion further advances in semantic AI will need to be integrated but that is just a personal hunch.

I make no claim to be particularly well informed on China. I'm just an engineer who pre-Covid travelled there on business routinely and kept my eyes open and found that the knowledge I'd acquired through my life and travels had kept me synced in to developments in that part of the world since I was a child. I've just tried to stay synced in overr the last few years, nothing more. So that is more informed than most / but less informed than at least a billion people.

Thanks for your views. I'll run a scenario at the weekend. We'll watch the data come in ovr the next few years. It will be interesting to see.