Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fact is they simply don't trust the current administration, and did a lot of divesting over the past 2 years. That, and costs are up, and investors are demanding profits (no more drilling at or below costs).

Implying that the oil majors and their largest investors care about something other than short term profits? Sorry, not buying it.

Let's continue in the oil thread, there's a ton of interesting stuff to look at heading into the elections. Maybe supply is being held back specifically for that one reason? Makes sense. Could you imagine the deluge of supply after the elections if Putin is removed or somehow backs down around the same time?

Don't take my word for it:

Fact is they simply don't trust the current administration, and did a lot of divesting over the past 2 years. That, and costs are up, and investors are demanding profits (no more drilling at or below costs).

I know it feels dirty to many here, but the absolute single most effective thing we could do to combat Russia would be for North America to go hog wild on oil production. Without oil revenues, Putin is nothing.

Then, medium-long term is ultimately reducing the need for oil at all.

Unfortunately, a lot of PMC types live in a bubble. Soft hands. This is how you get people who are supposedly pro renewable energy yet do everything they can to make it impossible to mine the materials you need or make it a complete nightmare to navigate permitting.

This is how you end up with an “environmental justice” bill that would be worse for the environment than anything the right has done by making the nightmarish permitting process even more nightmarish.

A huge chunk of the west are unserious people who have been walled off from the jungle so long they don’t think it exists anymore…

Last edited:
I know it feels dirty to many here, but the absolute single most effective thing we could do to combat Russia would be for North America to go hog wild on oil production.

Unfortunately, a lot of PMC types live in a bubble. Soft hands. This is how you get people who are supposedly pro renewable energy yet do everything they can to make it impossible to mine the materials you need or make it a complete nightmare to navigate permitting.

This is how you end up with an “environmental justice” bill that would be worse for the environment than anything the right has done by making the nightmarish permitting process even more nightmarish.

A huge chunk of the west are unserious people who have been walled off from the jungle so long they don’t think it exists anymore…

I've also been told that the oil servicing companies are focusing a lot of their labor on capturing the natural gas from wells that they previously were flaring off. Why? Because prices in Europe for the stuff are bat crazy and will support them building pipelines, condensation facilities, and shipping it abroad.

So, if these companies have limited resources (i.e. labor) they are going to focus that on extracting as much $$$$ from existing wells as they can, and drill new wells only if they have to.

At 2 pm today, we were 2M shares ahead of the pace set on the last trading day with 100M shares traded (Oct 3, 2020). Not low volume. ;)

<meme low blood sugar>
Lay off Lodger, if it hadn't have been for the 3.1 million at the beginning of the day, we would have been behind the pace when you posted this. I was referring to the current pace when I posted, should have stated it better.

Put it to bed.

US producers have much higher drilling and extraction costs than the big foreign producers. Adding capacity is much riskier for them. Haven’t seen numbers recently, but a few years ago, US oil companies only broke even when oil was over $60/ barrel. A big dip in the cost of crude could easily put them underwater on new investments in a market where demand is likely to be decreasing already.

The only way it makes sense for US oil companies to drill for new oil is if someone takes the risk away. Can’t see the government paying for the drilling/ exploration, so it’s just not going to happen regardless of the administration.

@unk45 kinda dodged this issue when I brought it up last month, but the U.S. Government doesn't pay the interest on its debt, either. The Federal Reserve bank forgives the interest, and make book by taxing charging interest to the rest of the U.S. namely any private individual or business who holds a loan (that's a heck of an exclusive franchise deal for the FED).
The reason why I allegedly 'dodged the issue is because it is nonsensical.
First: There is no such thing as "The Federal Reserve Bank". There are twelve of them, 24 branches, each owned by member banks in their districts.

As for monetary policy, open market operations are primarily conducted by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
Federal Reserve Banks buy and sell US treasury obligations.
When they lend money to banks the banks pay interest. When they have US treasury obligations they receive interest.

Perhaps your mistake stems from not understanding the role of the system itself. The Federal Reserve Banks do remit profits to the US Treasury:

That is absolutely nothing like the idea that there is some kind of 'forgiveness' involved. There is nothing like that. When losses happen at Federal Reserve Banks those reduce earnings.

I probably should have explained, but did not because the thesis was so wrong that I though you were joking. I apologize.

For the record: Nearly everything about the Federal Reserve System, individual Federal Reserve Banks and even the minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee are public records. Nobody who really wants to know needs to invent strange theories. Just look it up.
The document I linked comes from the Federal Reserve website. There are documents on every conceivable issue there. There are also links there to each of the Federal Reserve Banks.

FWIW, you grossly misunderstand to whom Federal Reserve Banks charge interest. Please, please study about the system if you're posting about it. They make ZERO, ZILCH, NADA on loans to anybody other than Member Banks and eligible securities. They do NOT deal wit the general public. Succinctly, they are Central Banks, not commercial ones.

What all this has to do with Tesla I do not know. If somebody really wants to pursue all this in gruesome detail I suggest we have a dedicated thread, preferably dealing with Tesla Treasury management issues also. Those are really interesting and this is yet another one of the areas in which Tesla is far above nearly all corporations.

Last edited:

Trust that the current administration will put oil company profits ahead of the fight against climate change. Maybe they should look in the mirror and ask should I be trusted to care about kids and the kids of those kids future on the planet. Lets not expect oil industry is going to not fight and fight dirty when it comes to fighting climate change.

US producers have much higher drilling and extraction costs than the big foreign producers. Adding capacity is much riskier for them. Haven’t seen numbers recently, but a few years ago, US oil companies only broke even when oil was over $60/ barrel. A big dip in the cost of crude could easily put them underwater on new investments in a market where demand is likely to be decreasing already.

The only way it makes sense for US oil companies to drill for new oil is if someone takes the risk away. Can’t see the government paying for the drilling/ exploration, so it’s just not going to happen regardless of the administration.
Again, this does not fit the narrative.

If you're not gonna drill and pump on a spike to $120 WTI and a Russian export ban......when exactly do you plan to drill? When EVs are at 40% of new cars?

If investors and banks won't let you drill in late 2022, are they gonna let you in late 2024?

None of this tight supply narrative makes sense.

Question for experienced buyers of leaps:

I read that Implied Volatility is usually high before an Earnings Report, then drops afterward because of reduced "uncertainty." Is that likely next week for Jan 2025 OTM calls? Or could a big earnings-beat increase IV because the share price is expected to run up?

Right now IV is around 58 for Jan 2025 $400 calls. Just wondering if I can do much better than that.
not-advice. my own observation has been that IV on the very long dated options moves more slowly than IV on next week options. That's probably not a surprise, but it is something to consider. I don't know that I have particularly seen a meaningful IV change in the before earnings, to after earnings transition.

Countering that - the value of those IV changes is also a lot higher on the long dated options (you can find that in the option chain as Vega).

Let's hope that Fed realizes that the inflation data that it is relying on is lagging true economic conditions. Another .75 hike will probably overshoot the target and cause a recession with massive unemployment.

Not arguing - I really don't know what will come and am completely on board with the idea that you may be completely correct. Even that there is a good chance you are correct.

HOWEVER - as fast as the Fed has been raising interest rates, and as low as interest rates have been for so long, its easy to lose track of the fact that if you agree with the stance that somewhere around 2 to 2.5% Fed target rate is neutral to the economy (neither stimulative, nor a drag; and I do agree with this view), then as high as inflation has been this year, the Fed has actually been STIMULATING the economy from the start of the year all the way through the end of July. When inflation broke 8%, the Fed was right in there with a strongly stimulative stance trying to goose the economy and make it even higher.

At the end of July the Fed achieved a neutral stance (2.25%) -- finally.

And with the last raise in late September (3-4 weeks ago), we FINALLY have a Fed and interest rate target that is actually designed to apply some brakes to the economy. For myself that is a primarily meaningful as a statement about just how aggressively stimulative the Fed has been and for how long. The Fed is now actually in a "slow the economy down" stance for less than 1 month.

It is absolutely the case that another .75 might overshoot. For my part I am more in the camp that the Fed has still been unable to get the investing class to grok that inflation is out of control and that no, the Fed put can't be relied on to cover a big market move down. I keep expecting a 1.00 rate increase when a .50 or .75 is expected as a slap to the face / punch to the gut type of attempt to get investors attention.

If I were betting, and to some degree I am, I expect the rate to keep going up this year and next to something more like 6% than the 4-5% I read people dreaming about. Because the current braking the Fed is applying is at best weak. A better mental model (again my opinion, which doesn't make me right) is somethign more like 4.5 to 5.0% at a minimum as that is about as much drag on the economy as the previous 0% target rate was stimulative. And it'll need to stay in place for more than a week or a month or two.

This dynamic, where I find myself increasingly of the belief that its the environmentalists (such as myself - I'd say that its my personal #1 issue) that are one of the biggest problems to actually accomplishing something about climate change and environmental problems.

Its one reason I am such an Elon and Tesla fan - they're doing something via a market mechanism rather than via regulations and politics. We have seen, and will continue to see, how thats playing out in Germany. I don't know the scale of the problem in California, but one benefit I do see about the big plant in Texas is some degree of protection from NIMBYism and the environmental lobby managing to shut down the #1 (MHO) entity actually doing something about climate change.

I spend more time worrying about where those mines in North America are going to come from that are essential to electrification of transportation.

Again, this does not fit the narrative.

If you're not gonna drill and pump on a spike to $120 WTI and a Russian export ban......when exactly do you plan to drill? When EVs are at 40% of new cars?

If investors and banks won't let you drill in late 2022, are they gonna let you in late 2024?

None of this tight supply narrative makes sense.
It absolutely fits the narrative. US oil producers have moved past the growth phase and are focusing on maximizing profits. Oil wells take years to pay out and investing in them when demand for oil is uncertain is foolish as hell. This is doubly true if EVs are 40% of the market in ~4-5 years.

FWIW, you grossly misunderstand to whom Federal Reserve Banks charge interest...

How can I make the question more simple? Does the U.S. Government pay interest to the Federal Reserve (or its member banks) on money it borrows from them? Not owe; pay.

Not looking for a link to an endless warren of Federal Reserve documents. Rather, a line-item in the Federal Budget for the interest expense would be informative. If the U.S. Goverment truly owns the FED, how is that interest expense / int. income shown in their financial reports?

Creating a separate thread for this topic would be worthwhile, and would become an instant archive on the topic. Thanks.

Mod: yes, please start a separate thread. This subject is too much of a tangent.