Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original Leaf was NOT air cooled in 2011. It was sealed cells inside sealed modules inside a sealed pack inside the shell of the car (floor of the cabin and the aero shell below). It radiated heat slowly taking more than 24 hours to come down to room temp if in a truly hot climate.

Not a single EV other than the Leaf went with a pack that is designed to avoid airflow and has no phase change or liquid coolant of any kind.

To tell you how bad it was, I can charge at 120v (1kW) at 80F-100F, the pack is above ambient temp when I unplug and when I drive home the internal pack temperature rises as I drive at highway speeds. Doesn't matter how fast you drive. No airflow makes it to the pack to actually cool it.

They kept that brain dead tactic with the 24 kWh, 30 kWh, and 40 kWh packs. It wasn't until the very recent (2019 or newer) 60+ kWh leafs they did anything about cooling different from the orignal sealed pack.

Literally the opposite tactic of Tesla where the pack is heated and cooled as much as needed for optimal performance. From 2012 Model S to every car Tesla has made since there has always been a strong method of managing heat (despite not pleasing some track enthusiasts, they at least had functional designs that protected the pack).
This was all part of the "EVs are only suitable as town cars/ commuters" mentality. Ridiculously short ranges, batteries that died after 4 years of hard use, crappy fast charging, etc etc. The side effect of the battery not cooling down is it meant you couldn't fast charge the pack twice in one day. Not that it mattered too much because with the range offered and speed of charging, few people wanted to drive more than the base range of the cars.

They didn't cool the cells because a city car wouldn't need fast charging.

• Informative
Reactions: CLK350
Claimed family member statement:

Or the driver's foot briefly came off of the accelerator, causing regenerative braking and therefore triggering the brake lights, before pressing back down on the accelerator.

This was all part of the "EVs are only suitable as town cars/ commuters" mentality. Ridiculously short ranges, batteries that died after 4 years of hard use, crappy fast charging, etc etc. The side effect of the battery not cooling down is it meant you couldn't fast charge the pack twice in one day. Not that it mattered too much because with the range offered and speed of charging, few people wanted to drive more than the base range of the cars.

They didn't cool the cells because a city car wouldn't need fast charging.
Even my 2014 Outlander PHEV had air cooling.

Literally the opposite tactic of Tesla where the pack is heated and cooled as much as needed for optimal performance. From 2012 Model S to every car Tesla has made since there has always been a strong method of managing heat (despite not pleasing some track enthusiasts, they at least had functional designs that protected the pack).
Even the original Roadster has thermal management. It might be shoved into corners here and there, and come with a couple of fans up front that can sound like a jet warming up for takeoff, but its there.

The cracks in the ICE supply chain are slowly becoming apparent:

1668415126545.png

Not the first day wrong peddle things happened. It can happens with any car on the road. These video will receives a day or two of fame and FUD then will gradually die down and back to it's place
Man, that's not a great video to post without a giant warning that there's a bicyclist getting run over very nastily.

Emerging details on that awful incident in China

Does make me wonder a bit whether the AI shouldn't intervene in cases like this where a driver is clearly out of control, are there any circumstances where someone would legitimately be driving 200kmph on such road?

Tesla is fully cooperating with local authorities to help find the cause of the accident as quickly as possible. According to the company, its back-end data show the vehicle's accelerator pedal was depressed deeply for a long time and remained at 100 percent at one point, and the driver did not apply the brakes for the entire 2 km route. In addition, while driving, the driver pressed the parking button four times. Obviously, the Parking button would not work, as all the conditions that were necessary for this were not met.

First time I hear this, was never said by Tesla to me and TBH, I can't remember the last time I used a non-Tesla, public charging station...
Perhaps not said by Tesla directly to you, but said by Tesla. I wonder if the navigation system flags V2 vs V3 as relates to specific vehicle compatibility.

Supercharger Support

CCS Combo 2 adapters​

Can all Tesla owners use the Supercharger network in Europe?

Yes, the Supercharger network is available to all Tesla owners – regardless of vehicle type or trim. All V2 Superchargers in Europe feature dual-cable posts to accommodate both DC Type 2 and CCS Combo 2 charge-ports. European V3 Superchargers feature single-cable CCS technology, which are directly compatible with all Model 3 vehicles. Model S and Model X vehicles in region can access V3 Superchargers with a CCS Combo 2 adapter.

another hit piece from Dan O'Dowd in the Washington Post
I "Think" the link is good as it is a gift article

Gift Article

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — When Dan O’Dowd had his midlife crisis, he bought two near-identical Tesla Roadsters, the first model the electric carmaker ever produced. This year, the 66 year-old tech entrepreneur added another to his collection: a Model 3 equipped with Full Self-Driving Beta — a software program that allows the car to drive on its own on highways and busy city streets.

The third Tesla is crucial for an unusual hobby: O’Dowd is waging a multimillion-dollar campaign to get Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software off the roads — before Tesla CEO Elon Musk follows through with plans to make the tech available worldwide by the end of the year.
O’Dowd, who made his fortune selling software to military customers, has been using the Model 3 to test and film the self-driving software. He’s documented what appear to be examples of the car swerving across the centerline toward oncoming traffic, failing to slow down in a school zone and missing stop signs. This summer, he triggered an uproar by releasing a video showing his Tesla — allegedly in Full Self-Driving mode — mowing down child-size mannequins.
“If Tesla gets away with this and ships this product and I can’t convince the public that a self-driving car that drives like a drunken, suicidal 13-year-old shouldn’t be on the road, I’m going to fail,” O’Dowd said in an interview from his Santa Barbara office, where glass cases display his collection of ancient coins and auction-bought mementos from NASA moon missions.

Indeed as it is no longer Live, the Arrival of the G20 Delegation and the Second Day of the B20 Summit Indonesia in Bali (long video, 2.5 hours + covering a preamble, talks from various dignitaries, closing with the Elon interview, then showing planes landing and more dignitaries piling in black limos ) can now be properly time stamped - thanks @heltok for a direct time stamp link

I think the one below is more instructive /entertaining as it includes an upbeat song " .. a little less conversation as little more action .. " likely chosen by the speaker introducing Elon.

There are few new things to learn from the interview, it is more the context that is important, in my opinion. For example:

The preamble (first part), starts with a (boring IMHO) talk from ... Klaus Schwab, the WEF founder, IMHO sworn enemy of real progress and stuck with the idea of depopulation since forever and (second part) ends with Elon's interview. Then (third part) we see the planes landing and black limos ferrying people to the Summit area.

Oh and we learn that where Elon was they suffered a power failure starting 3 minutes before he was to connect, so he had to do the interview w/ candlelights (can anyone confirm he was in SF at midnight Sunday?)