Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps a margin tips and tricks thread would be helpful. Have you considered buying OTM Puts, eg weekly 150 or 140 Puts? This has a dramatic impact in terms of freeing up margin. Also allows you to preserve $TSLA shares rather than sell them to meet margin calls. At the cost of the Put premium.

Does this only work when you have portfolio margin or in any trading account with options?

Getting a nice little boost at the end of AH. Was this finally the bottom??? God, I hope so.

I thought we had hit the bottom of the barrel 2 weeks ago when a bullish hammer candle doji formed after Elon 3 days of selling and thought capitulation had happened in the stock. However it seems capitulation did not happen since I had not capitulated yet.

We thought Q2 was the last “bad” numbers quarter
Finally Q3 will be the last “bad “ number because of delivery logistic
I would have loved to see and incredible beat for TSLA not to follow the SPY macro going for the next leg lower in this strong bear trend.

I would not be surprised to see $200 in the next few weeks with the macro and wallstreet read on the P&D numbers.

I am ready to buy at $200 like there is no tomorrow

I was soooo bulllish back then.
Note to naive me: always remove 25% to your worst case scenario, just in case.

Did I miss a post from Orthosurg that got deleted? That ban seems harsh otherwise. In any case, I'm feeling optimistic about the rest of the week. Don't know why, it just feels like we may have turned the corner. A solid green macro day tomorrow would be the perfect prelude to Thanksgiving.
He isn't actually banned, he explains it here: Wiki - Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

Did I miss a post from Orthosurg that got deleted? That ban seems harsh otherwise. In any case, I'm feeling optimistic about the rest of the week. Don't know why, it just feels like we may have turned the corner. A solid green macro day tomorrow would be the perfect prelude to Thanksgiving.

I tried to write Banned from using margin but for some unknown reason it only saved Banned. Seems I can’t change it again, there must be a minimum time limit to change it again.

Anyways, thanks for caring what happened to me and my margin, it’s nice to see someone caring because the market doesn’t seem to care lately.

Started back lifting weights and training lately at the hospital gym while I was bumped by C-sections between my fracture cases on call. I don’t know what is the most painful, the pain from lifting iron dumbbells or from holding the TSLA bag.

If tomorrow we have a nice green TSLA day, first round is on me at the next annual TSLA bagholders TMC meeting.

I don’t know what is the most painful, the pain from lifting iron dumbbells or from holding the TSLA bag.
Same, I take out the margin call frustrations on my weights. This morning while watching Dirty Tesla's zero intervention drive I nearly fell over; did too many sumo squats with a heavy bar. TMI?

Also, in other news, I did a short-ish 3.1 drive and...drum roll...did 3 of my two-lane roundabouts without issue. First time this has happened, my jaw was on the floor. I'll do it again tomorrow with traffic this time and see if this was just a dream.

I don't short by the way - Tsla or any other company. From a capitalistic point of view, however, shorts provide a valid function for healthy markets.
Cue: "We are the world."
You are parroting a line promulgated only by those who benefit from it. The appropriate way to capitalize on a company that has a mismatch between its price level and its growth prospects is to invest elsewhere. THAT, not short-selling, is responsible investing.

I tried to write Banned from using margin but for some unknown reason it only saved Banned. Seems I can’t change it again, there must be a minimum time limit to change it again.

Anyways, thanks for caring what happened to me and my margin, it’s nice to see someone caring because the market doesn’t seem to care lately.

Started back lifting weights and training lately at the hospital gym while I was bumped by C-sections between my fracture cases on call. I don’t know what is the most painful, the pain from lifting iron dumbbells or from holding the TSLA bag.

If tomorrow we have a nice green TSLA day, first round is on me at the next annual TSLA bagholders TMC meeting.

I feel your pain. I've been no stranger to the margin call this year either. I feel a bit guilty for recommending IBKR for their low margin interest rates last year. This year has been a learning experience for sure.

Moodys can bite me. They are holding out on the upgrade just to allow their partners-in-crime to continue to push down the share price. When convenient and the price is in their target range, they will issue their "upgrade" so that their buddies can buy in at their desired price and still be within their "bylaws" of having two ratings agencies having blessed the purchase.
This sounds a tad too tin-hat to me. Although others also have written of a “2 ratings agency blessing”, and I do not deny it might exist, I never came across it in my decades as an institutional investor.

Regardless, let’s assume that it is the case. Were it so, then the balancing game between Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s, and Fitch would ensure it behooves the second slot would be filled nigh instantly, thereupon benefitting their, not the Johnny-Come-Lately 3rd place agency’s, clientele.

Last edited:
Giga Seoul?

“Elon Musk reportedly said on Wednesday that South Korea was among its top candidate locations for a giant factory it plans to build in Asia for making EVs, according to South Korea's presidential office.”
Heck, why not North Korea since he’s already adept at dealing with dictators. The labor cost would be dirt cheap. 👀

Giga Seoul?

“Elon Musk reportedly said on Wednesday that South Korea was among its top candidate locations for a giant factory it plans to build in Asia for making EVs, according to South Korea's presidential office.”
Do we want to be that close to Kim Jong-un? The Taiwan/China stuff is already enough drama imo

China has more countryside and wide-open places where the benefits of the Cybertruck don't come with a lot of downside. It will never be a mainstream vehicle in China, but China is such a big place and with low operational costs and high durability Cybertruck could find many economical applications in smaller and more rural commerce (and probably some uptake from affluent families) I don't expect it have the same success in most other Eastern nations.

As @Ogre mentioned, the Aussies love their utes, but I think it has a harder go there, in part due to stereotypes and mainly because it's a much smaller market that will have a hard time covering the rural areas with fast chargers. Compare the current SC maps:

View attachment 877381
View attachment 877380

It's more about the culture and the size of the respective markets, I think, than the Supercharger availability, but I do think these maps provide another hint that Cybertruck might not be received Down Under in a manner commensurate with their love of utes.
I wouldn’t underestimate Australia’s capacity to absorb cybertrucks. I expect tradies to take to them with the same enthusiasm they took to cordless drills. Once one bloke shows how fuel money becomes beer money, and they feel the power of the beast, they’ll be sold.

Have to factor that our country roads are inferior. Bumpy, often unsealed and potholed and flood prone. Big tyre vehicles are seen as the answer.

The supercharger map already covers the coast from Gympie to Adelaide - where most live. It will extend - govt money has been offered. They’re trying hard to pretend to be active on climate (while simultaneously green lighting fossil projects).