Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes. How backward a place do you live in. Every rural farmer in France is well aware of Tesla and Musk, ditto Romania, Portugal and Poland.
To clarify I’m not just talking about brand awareness but the actual product and ownership experience.

It might be different in Europe. I’m an ignorant American, so I don’t know.
In fact the vast majority of road going vehicles are sold and used in urban or suburban areas, worldwide. Rural areas worldwide tend to have class wealthy and less well educated people.

When we discuss any Tesla and/or Musk awareness, it's perfectly reasonable to say that most literate adults who consume any type of news are are of both. By extension any logical definition of an addressable market for Tesla products has almost 100% unaided recall of both Tesla and Musk.

Obviously we do not know any specifics regarding attitudes about either because we only have anecdotal evidence or surveys data that is invariably inadequate to make judgements.

We DO have virulently provocative opinions. They are all opinions, including mine. They are in no way solid enough to make judgements.

We DO have evidence both tangible and definitive that Tesla at present sells everything they can make, that Tesla serves a small portion of the new car buying world, that Tesla has no presence at all in most of China, the US, and even has modest presence in many places where the market is obviously receptive to Tesla. (e.g. Africa, South America, nearly all of Eastern Europe, Malaysia, Indonesia). This list is huge.

From tiny places to huge ones Tesla has been adept at establishing Superchargers that make a Tesla quite practical choice. Nearly all of those markets where Tesla is absent do have others selling BEV and have some, at least vestigial infrastructure.

It becomes both tiresome and irritating that even here on TMC we have people discussing growth limits as though suddenly Norway and California are the only markets, when both of those, as consequential as they are, still have large areas without Tesla stores. Some say that, as in Texas, it is easy to buy a Tesla online, and it is. How many buyers will purchase a car sight unseen with no visible local presence? Because of that Tesla has large growth still to make in California, Texas and everywhere else. Everywhere.

More models and more variety are obviously coming too, but the largest single issue after logistics and supply constraints is increased distribution. There has been no missed sales because the supply has been too constrained.

In that case I strongly believe it is silly to be preoccupied with anything other than how Tesla can scale more rapidly, which now means at least another Gigafactory every year or so and massive increase in Supercharger, store locations and service capability.

Any of us who are aware of these facts should also understand that Tesla is thriving and vibrant. The notoriety of the CEO is not new, there are been naysayers since well before both SpaceX and Tesla. What is different now? Simply stated there are many newish investors and many derivatives users who have been losing money due to margin calls or simply are terrified of volatility.

As Elon has said "if you're afraid of volatility you should not invest in Tesla"
Reality has not changed in any fundamental way.
I wonder how many different ways these things need to be said.
@Gigapress shows us TSLA has moved similarly to AMZN, for example.
As many others, too many to name, provide different parts of this information, it is always the same:

Long term investors have not been harmed. Speculators (except the perpetrators of much of this, the short selling community) have lost. (The short time winners have probably covered many of their past losses). With serious FUD growing hour by hour we see absolute lies and misunderstandings combine to give everyone pause. This is a very poor time to panic, even though their never a good time to do that.

Let me guess: outperform the macros by several percent only to end the day flat. Amirite?
Or outperform other companies with continued profits, lowering margins, positive free cash flow, new factories, and new product lines to end the day flat or walked down, because well the market wants all these things but... yeah...

Adding/gathering all the positives of Elon selling more shares. :)

1. employees get to buy cheaper shares
2. stocks are less concentrated on single man

what else?
When the employees see their net worth evaporates with the stock price, I doubt many of them are thinking "oh look, another buying opportunity", though. Steady stock price is good. Crashing SP bad.

I guess the other benefit I see is it answers the question "What's going to happen to TSLA if Elon leaves the company and is actively working against the stock?" That's being priced in now.

Retail investors get a second chance to buy in at a more affordable SP.
Retail investors were given a second chance at 350, third chance at 300, 4th at 260, etc.... They are all underwater now. Wake me up when they're given the 20th chance to buy at 25.

Last edited:
That would be nice, especially if there is a reciprocal SP reaction. Do you think there is some restriction on Tesla buying directly from Elon to avoid all this kerfuffle?
IIRC there were posts from several better-informed TMC members suggesting that Tesla could have purchased the shares directly. But Elon selling into the Market and Tesla buying back through the Market would be the most transparent method to maintain share control and would be the better Image Management approach IMO. And that is important even if it isn't necessary I think, as Tesla now having enough free capital to retain control of the company and the greater Mission with a share buy-back initiation while so many people and industries are desperately trying to destroy the company could easily lead to much scrutiny of such an effort - whether well founded or not. Anything to disrupt or detract Tesla from reaching its 2030 goals it seems. 😩

Edit - I am intrigued by the 'portfolio balancing' concept just posted by @betstarship and how that plays into a buyback. Ultimately Elon could sell shares to Tesla on the open market to invest in T******r and do little more than transfer his wealth from one pocket to another (with the exception of tax implications), while preserving and possibly increasing his control over the entire suite of companies in the process. That would definitely be playing the game several moves ahead, because his end game IS the integration of all the companies in harmony under one umbrella.

Last edited:
Some of us bought into TSLA pre pre split when TSLA was below 20 and some below 100. I got in below 150 , this group is minuscule in comparison to the many many more here who got in at much higher valuation.
Every investor is essential for tesla to succeed no matter at what price they got in.
I personally wouldn’t disparage someone who got in at higher valuation and currently upset to see their portfolio under water .
People who got in below 20 are more like gamblers and took a shot at the company when not many knew about it and whether it would succeed or not.it’s their lotto ticket .

People who got in later at higher valuations have had time to learn and study and got in due to the strong fundamentals of the company and belief in the management team . While the fundamentals of the company are stronger than ever and will keep improving , the management team including the BOD has been less than stellar .these late investors are the gutsy ones and need to be appreciated and not disparaged or talked down. I can count on fingers , a select few here who got in early and now lecture others regarding HODLing .

We need each of you
Investors to keep the mission going .

Elon has the right to do what he seems prudent with his shares . One thing for sure is he doesn’t care for the price or the investors . He has many a times in the past told everyone to buy the dips and went on to dig sink holes . My faith in him has shaken , not for selling his shares but the increased political leaning rants and peddling conspiracy theories , and I am neither right or left leaning . I am a man of science and have zero respect for conspiracy theory peddlers.

I believe what this has shown is that, no, Tesla does not need each of you. Tesla needs only a portion of you. The effect of what has been done is that the cap table has been culled.

I’m scared of how low this goes. And that sucks. But I continue to remind myself that someone wants me to sell them my cheap shares. Sadly I deployed all remaining dry powder and am simply a spectator now.

There’s not a better opportunity in my opinion. If I wouldn’t sell my shares at $400 I’m certainly not selling them at $150.

I must remain steadfast that tesla is building the future I want to see for my children. I’d rather tell them I rode TSLA into the ground than that I bailed because I got scared and chose to protect my wealth rather than do what was right.

Just my $.02
Ditto