Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a bit OT but we are after market close. I just had a brilliant conversation with the guest at the neighbor table together with the owner of a tiny restaurant in the old town of Nice, Cote d'Azur France. We talked about electric cars and the huge advantages Tesla has, because they installed Superchargers and Destination Chargers all over Europe long before a significant number of cars have been on the road. And they still continue to do this. Tesla didn't wait for other companies or ask for government support like the other manufacturers. We agreed that even if they would open their network to all electric cars, everyone will be reminded of this pioneering project for ever. Simply a brilliant idea.
It was amusing for me that they always talked about Tesla. Nobody mentioned the CEO and/or his other adventures.
We all were very glad to experience such a disruptive time in history.
Do I have to mention the cheese fondue or the French wine? :)

At least she's not pretending that Tesla doesn't exist.

Can you really imagine anybody else getting away with what Musk has done?

Well, let's see...

That would be somebody else who has:
  • revolutionized space launch to orbit and pioneered reusable rockets, with an end goal of colonizing Mars;
  • started a technology company specializing in AI, software, built a super computer, pioneered battery design and manufacture, and, oh, they build a few cars too;
  • built a tunneling company that have revolutionized the business in an ongoing attempt to beat Gary the snail's record pace;
  • funded development of a brain/computer interface for solving a plethora of nerve-related medical issues;
  • been a founder of PayPal and has recently purchased a social media company to further develop a vision from years ago for X.com as a multi-service platform that could transform communication and finance.

No. I can't imaging anybody else getting away with that.

What a peculiar question.

Do you not Elon much?

I mentioned a few days ago it was increasingly likely guidance wouldn't be in place until well after Jan 1....

The same way your tax credit amount in a year the OEM crossed the 200k mark under the old credit could get different treatment depending on the in-service date, even though it's a tax credit "for the year"... cars with an in-service date before the guidelines are issued would be treated differently from cars with an in-service date after that (if the reporting and reading is correct)

As others have noted, if the reporting and reading of the law here is correct there's gonna be INSANE order volume on SR model 3s in Q1.... This does benefit Ford/GM too, but not nearly as much since they can't produce nearly as many otherwise-unqualified vehicles in a single quarter before the guidance comes out as Tesla can.
I don't see a way for that to happen.

The call out is:
"in the case of a vehicle placed in service after the date on which the proposed guidance described in paragraph (3)(B) is issued by the Secretary and before January 1, 2024, 40 percent,"

The deadline is fixed :
"(B) DEADLINE FOR PROPOSED GUIDANCE.—Not later than December 31, 2022, the Secretary shall issue proposed guidance with respect to the requirements under this subsection.’’

And the guidance is administrative:
" (A) The Secretary shall issue such regulations or other guidance as the Secretary determines necessary to carry out the purposes of this subsection, including regulations or other guidance which provides for requirements for recordkeeping or information reporting for purposes of administering the requirements of this subsection."

The law already calls out regions and values:
(1) CRITICAL MINERALS REQUIREMENT.— ‘‘(A) IN GENERAL.—The requirement described in this subparagraph with respect to a vehicle is that, with respect to the battery from which the electric motor of such vehicle draws electricity, the percentage of the value of the applicable critical minerals (as defined in section 45X(c)(6)) contained in such battery that were—
(i) extracted or processed—
(I) in the United States, or
(II) in any country with which the United States has a free trade agreement in effect, or
(ii) recycled in North America, is equal to or greater than the applicable percentage (as certified by the qualified manufacturer, in such form or manner as prescribed by the Secretary).

Not sure if posted but that drone footage will be pretty interesting

Some were confused by the double negative. Insert "sugar" for the redacted word. 😇

1671489603647.png

I was just watching a local network station. A commercial caught my attention.
It was a local solar company advertising solar and battery installs.
They went through the normal stuff you would expect to hear, but the last sentence of the ad was " And yes, we have Tesla Solar Walls in stock now ready for installation"...
Like they were answering a question they get asked about on inbound calls...

Ponderous....or perhaps Bullish 🤔?

Lucid bought themselves another 2 quarter worth of time with 1.5b ATM offering.

Saudi owns 62% of Lucid, and maintained that ownership percentage in this stock offering.

Lucid will survive as long as the Saudis want it to.

Also makes a takeover attempt unlikely (again, unless the Saudis want to offload it).

What a crapshoot of legislation and implementation by the government 🥴

This doesn't look at all like normal government incompetence, nor does it look like normal incentives and tax breaks designed to encourage beneficial or desirable market behavior. But it looks a lot like crony capitalism that is demonstrating how corrupt they are by messing with the normal functioning of market forces in a manner that only club members have any clarity on. It's almost as if they know their rules won't survive legal challenges but they are trying to disrupt certain competitors and give others a temporary windfall before it can all be sorted out.

This is the kind of misguided thinking that looks like it belongs to people who know GM and perhaps Ford are in dire straits, but are misguided enough to think a couple little head-starts are all they need to succeed in the long run. I'm not opposed to incentives and tax breaks done with foresight and with clarity for all, but this is seriously messed up and I hate to see the normal functioning of capitalism and industry disrupted in such a sick manner. Nothing good ever comes from this kind of misguided meddling with the normal functioning of markets.

Well, let's see...

That would be somebody else who has:
  • revolutionized space launch to orbit and pioneered reusable rockets, with an end goal of colonizing Mars;
  • started a technology company specializing in AI, software, built a super computer, pioneered battery design and manufacture, and, oh, they build a few cars too;
  • built a tunneling company that have revolutionized the business in an ongoing attempt to beat Gary the snail's record pace;
  • funded development of a brain/computer interface for solving a plethora of nerve-related medical issues;
  • been a founder of PayPal and has recently purchased a social media company to further develop a vision from years ago for X.com as a multi-service platform that could transform communication and finance.

No. I can't imaging anybody else getting away with that.

What a peculiar question.

Do you not Elon much?
Maybe more on point:
* disrupting massive oil profits and subsidies with EVs, solar and batteries, poised to also be cutting into natural gas profits
* disrupting car dealership model of upsell/maintenance with low maintenance direct sales cars, union jobs
* disrupting car insurance industry
* disrupting military / defense industry formerly able to charge whatever moon prices they wanted, showing up with reusable rockets and competitive pricing

So yes, nobody has gotten away with doing that plus more, in such a short amount of time, attacking not just one but multiple trillion dollar oligarch power structures. The pressure to agitate people to oppose this trend must be immense.

This doesn't look at all like normal government incompetence, nor does it look like normal incentives and tax breaks designed to encourage beneficial or desirable market behavior. But it looks a lot like crony capitalism that is demonstrating how corrupt they are by messing with the normal functioning of market forces in a manner that only club members have any clarity on. It's almost as if they know their rules won't survive legal challenges but they are trying to disrupt certain competitors and give others a temporary windfall before it can all be sorted out.

This is the kind of misguided thinking that looks like it belongs to people who know GM and perhaps Ford are in dire straits, but are misguided enough to think a couple little head-starts are all they need to succeed in the long run. I'm not opposed to incentives and tax breaks done with foresight and with clarity for all, but this is seriously messed up and I hate to see the normal functioning of capitalism and industry disrupted in such a sick manner. Nothing good ever comes from this kind of misguided meddling with the normal functioning of markets.
I think many, including myself, agree with this sentiment.

... the company is best placed to face any softness in macro conditions based on its best cost structure, superior margins, and often demonstrated operational nimbleness and flexibility.

They added that Tesla expects significant benefits from the Inflation Reduction Act, including a full $7,500 consumer tax credit and large direct incentives for U.S. battery manufacturing.

Last edited:
I have no clue how to reconcile that last paragraph in that Reuter's article. "The department noted that under the law the critical mineral and battery component requirements take effect only after Treasury issues that proposed rule".
It's REUTERS... :p Their trade IS uncertainty. And doubt.

How can say for an example a Model Y that gets sold in Jan or Feb not get the full credit when the credit is not a spot-sale credit and instead a credit you get later when you file your taxes? How does that make any sense when a tax credit is based on during the entire tax year?

I told you guys the Feds would likely try to eff-over Tesla with the announcement of the actual rules delayed to year end in the legislation. Now that Tesla is handing over $$ discounts to take delivery, there's no finish line on Jan 1st. But Tesla can't cancel customer discounts now at this late hour or they lose the delivery. And let's KEEP the uncertainy going into March, right Janet?

Talk about moving the goalposts. Asshats. :p