Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one smells like a 10b5-1 thing going on. The volume is unreal. There has been a minor drop in volume last Thursday, but Friday, Monday, and today have been very high volume days, with significant under-performance. Obviously Monday was the exception to the under-performance trend when the poll results came out before market opened.
like Elon sell.. (oh I mean FED interest rate hikess ...) ??

Do you have a source for that? Curious to see how much, etc.

Chama

Chamath indicated the last sale was result of a margin call... and Elon tweeted/advised to avoid margin.
Chamath is not really plugged into Elon World, so should not be expected to have insight into his activities. They are acquaintances only, as far as I can tell. But even if he were a friend, I doubt that he would know.

Successful investing has lot of parallels with religion
You must totally believe and you must have blind faith to go through extreme adversity

Those who lose faith do not have a chance.

Nobody’s perfect. You will always be wrong, but keep on working relentlessly toward your goal no matter what.
Lot of us became multimillionaires, holding Tesla, and next logical step would be to become billionaires or multibillionaires, but only for those who do not lose faith.

No guarantees and no investing advise.
Unlike religion the main entity that you need to have faith in is yourself.

The market is the opinion of others, weigh that against your opinion.

I'm never surpised to find out that the market is wrong.

Unlike religion, we can find hard numbers, trends, product specs and likley future product specs and prices.

The next phase of the mission is cheaper EVs, Model 3 Highland and Gen3, no demand problem there. No demand problem for Semi, Cybertruck, Powerwall and Megapacks.

Should 4680 production continue to ramp, no shortage of in house and third party supplier cells for cars and energy storage.

Elon (and we) laugh at this at the moment but there's enough volume here in the past few weeks to where big positions could be being made...big enough to have real input on the board and the way Tesla is run.

I'd put the odds of Elon being ousted as CEO as material at this point 🤷‍♂️

I agree. The risk of this has gone up significantly, from almost nil to in the realm of possibility. What's the saying? Fate loves irony?

TSLA Bagholder #1: "Elon selling a massive amount of shares doesn't do anything, it's the manipulators jumping on!"

TSLA Bagholder #2: "No Elon shouldn't sell drip-drip slowly all year, the manipulators would jump on!"

🤔

Count me (based on my experience in design control systems and non-linear dynamics) in the group that thinks a slow, steady selling would have been much more palatable and beneficial for all of us non-manipulators.
I think he should have hammered the stock into oblivion when his offer was accepted once upon a time. He should have raised all the money he needed immediately. All uncertainty regarding financing would be done. He might even have money left over to buy personally if he so chose. The SP would be much better off now.

I am sure Elon agrees at the moment. Hindsight...

There is absolutely nothing even the remotest bit funny in what you showed. Without knowing anything about Ross Gerber other than what some of you have mentioned from time to time, for a person of Mr Musk's stature thus to misuse his intellect, his experience and his abilities, all the more so after having been gifted hundreds of billions of dollars worth of shares by TSLA investors - words fail even me. How many times has this community known me to be at a loss for words?

Great post.

I'd add that any doubters can check the numbers themselves with SPY (SPY is a very transparent view into ETF holdings). Tesla has indeed already declined as a percentage of the ETF to reflect its decline in market cap..

As of yesterday, it was about 1.24% of the index (SPY: SPDR® S&P 500® ETF Trust). It has fallen quite a bit and today sits at 10th in the S&P 500.

On September 30, it was 2.34% of the index (doc-viewer).

That computes with the relative market decline. TSLA has underperformed SPY during that period by 4600 bps. Its weight should have declined accordingly.

And if you really want to confirm, just follow up on Tuesday when the ETFs report Monday holdings. As of yesterday, SPY held 30,246,804 shares of TSLA. There will be a bit of noise to subscriptions/redemptions of SPY, but you should be able to see whether SPY was a seller or a buyer today.
Just thought I'd follow up on this.

As of yesterday, SPY held 30,000,260 shares. It sold about 245,000 shares since Thursday and sits at 1.25% of the index (versus 1.24% Thursday).

Given a slight uptick in the weighting, but outsized decline of TSLA relative to SPY since Thursday, you can assume that SPY actually bought shares on Friday to address the increased float of TSLA. (Or, if it had excess redemptions on Friday, it didn't sell as much).

Net sales of TSLA simply reflect redemptions of SPY.

There is absolutely nothing even the remotest bit funny in what you showed. Without knowing anything about Ross Gerber other than what some of you have mentioned from time to time, for a person of Mr Musk's stature thus to misuse his intellect, his experience and his abilities, all the more so after having been gifted hundreds of billions of dollars worth of shares by TSLA investors - words fail even me. How many times has this community known me to be at a loss for words?

Perspective:
suppose you were the unluckiest, worst market timer of all time and bought TSLA at very top back in November/December 2010 at split adjusted $2.428 and sold it 9 years later at very low of $11.80 in June 2019. you made 4.85X your money over 9 years for ARR 19%
most money managers never make 19% ARR over 9 years.
now if you were not only unlucky, not only THE worst market timer of 2019 but also had the utterly lack of evidence based, blind faith type of stubborn investing streak that actually made you not sell your TSLA at the very low but instead hold it for another 30 months then instead of 4.85X your money for mere 19% ARR, you made 170X your money over 12 years which is approx 53 to 54% ARR
for $1 million initial investment that is a difference of $165 million due to lack of faith and willingness to sell at a new low due to sheer panic
something to think about before you sell at a new low
not financial or investment advice

Yep. Whether or not now is the time to buy Tesla, it certainly isn't the time to sell.

The street is very pessimistic right now expecting a recession. That means that you are going to be very hard pressed to find another large cap stock with growth potential that is going to do any better than Tesla in the next 3-6 months (sure, you can always buy a dividend stock or a $100M market cap dice roll, but I'm assuming you stay within the type of stock that Tesla is).

We are expecting Tesla to outperform consensus earnings estimates for 1Q and 2Q even if we enter into a recession. What other growth large cap out there can you say that about?

And a recession isn't a guarantee by any stretch. There is a valid argument that it won't come to pass. In which case, huge pressure is lifted from all large cap growth stocks (P/E compression).

As to when to buy in ... I've already bought in a few times as the price has been falling, so who am I to judge. I may very well buy in again tomorrow...

Elon (and we) laugh at this at the moment but there's enough volume here in the past few weeks to where big positions could be being made...big enough to have real input on the board and the way Tesla is run.

I'd put the odds of Elon being ousted as CEO as material at this point 🤷‍♂️
We can only hope.

They must be careful to avoid the 10% mark. wicked-witch-of-the-west-done-delicately.gif

Context is everything man and that was an overly dramatic post dude. And gifts... c'mon now.