Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Profits came later. It was mostly hype. And a new generation of "investors", all hit at the same time. The latters somewhat low competence on earnings and market caps etc., made Tesla`s MC way too high.
And I hear no good arguments as to why the price should go back up again (300+) the next 3-4 years.
A growth rate of 50% not counting energy is not a good argument? You have not heard this argument?

OK. You know better I guess.

If I'm wrong we should easily slice down below 137 and start down towards 130 but I do believe there's a very good chance Tesla is about to go on a face ripping rally.
I think we need something to kick off any sort of rally. Q4 or maybe China numbers or something.

I'm not holding my breath. I'd be far better off if I sold 10% of my shares every time I've heard "It's going to pop" "Face Ripping Rally" or "To the Moon" over the past 9 months it isn't even funny.

Today I woke up at 5:30 to see my GF off to her job as an ER nurse. She drives my Model Y and it was charged and warm for her when she walked out the door. I love that we can swap cars effortlessly with our mobile phones and that the cars recognize the driver. It's also nice knowing that she is in the safest car I could put her in and costs little to maintain and fuel.

After that I had my coffee, worked a bit and took my kids to school in what is arguably the 2nd safest car in the world, (my model 3) and which happens to be faster than many exotics and a blast on the track. The car then drove me home without any interference. While I worked and lamented on my .01st first problems of not being as rich as I was 6 months ago, my home solar (not Tesla panels) helped offset my energy use and topped off the car. This evening I got a notification that my PowerWall automatically filled itself up from the grid in preparation for the blizzard we are expecting tomorrow.

Of course there are tons of spilled milk to cry over, lessons learned, and poultry to praise or mock etc. But what am I to do? I could buy some boring old economy stock and earn 5% a year forever if I'm lucky, or perhaps the stock of the company that provides insanely convenient online delivery at the cost of thousands of small businesses, or the stock of a company that makes excellent phones...that everyone already owns, or the stock of a company that makes video games look slightly better each year, or the stock of the company that helps me find things online. Fine options I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Hard to imagine we will have much more pain, but if so I think I'll still stick with the company that is impacting my life more than any other and that is single handedly dragging multiple industries into a greener future. Hopefully that green spreads back to my portfolio sometime very soon.

Because I'm here to learn, and because I'm not too ashamed to admit ignorance; in the words of a great scientist:
"Ray, pretend for a moment that I don't know anything about metallurgy, engineering, or physics, and just tell me what the hell is going on."

By which, I mean, this is gobbledygook to me; kindly explain this tweet to me as if I am 5 years old.

Last we heard, Elon did not have a margin loan. It was dropped from the terms of the aquisition and replaced by other outside investors: Elon Musk Drops Margin Loan From Twitter Bid, Making It A Little Less Risky

I have not yet seen any evidence that this has changed, and I'm pretty sure that most social chatter about a margin loan is pure FUD.
It was reported he was shopping for a margin loan immediately prior to his tweet to avoid leverage and then he unloaded a few billion in shares.

Think leverage was avoided.

I haven't posted in a long while and just want to share my 0.02 and maybe vent out a bit.

Does it suck to see 60% of my TSLA holding evaporate? Sure. But really... it's the economy that we are in. And more than anything, it's on ourselves to not sell everything at the peak of the market. Sometimes selling is not a sign of losing confidence in one company... but rather, take profits and exploring other opportunities.

In order for price to come down, the demand has to be crashed. It's a simple Econ 101 principle. There has never really been a "soft-landing" ever in the history of economic study. And it's a subject I spent 4yrs doing in university.

Yeah, a major in economics doesn't put me in the league of any expert, but if I've learned anything during the last decade doing investments or heck... even life as a whole is that never let emotion be the ultimate driver of your decision. Yes, sometimes you need that gut feeling, but that should be the tipping piece after you have done all the objective analysis.

Many complaints that I see, even from fund managers like Ross are really emotionally driven.

As Elon's reply to Ross on Twitter... what better suggestion does he have for Tesla BoD? They have been doing a terrific job of navigating through all the difficulties Tesla has encountered. And many of the suggestions, such as stock buyback really isn't the best use of fund in the long term. Many say Twitter is distracting Elon... there's nothing more for him to do at TSLA at the moment as he said... TSLA team is running incredible. So, all that are just short-term nonsense IMHO. Let me explain.

The recession is going to be painful. And the bad news is that this ain't over. Fed hasn't even pivoted yet (they usually do when they start seeing the market going too soft for their liking), and historically speaking, the recession would then last another 4-6mth after pivot before the market starts booming again.

But the sweet part is this... the darkest hour is just before dawn. The market tends to overshoot and there would be a lot of bargains on the market by the end of this.

I'd much rather have TSLA keeping as much funding as possible, conserve as much as possible, and go out for a shopping spree once we are out of this hole.

It's going to suck... news like cutting production or prices to achieve lower inventory is bad news short-term, but good news long-term.

Imagine if TSLA keeps a 30B+ war chest and goes out to buy companies like lithium miners, whatever company that helps TSLA to further vertically integrate and/or negotiate better deals for future Giga Factories when the worst is among us? Many don't have the financials to sustain a recession. Desperate times are opportunities for those who aren't desperate.

Same thing goes for our investments. I conserve as much as I can in this whole ordeal. I make sure I have enough funds to survive this next year with something in reserve to invest.

Running a company/portfolio is not about always making the best short-term decisions, but rather... making as few screwups as you possibly can while stay on track for the long term objective.

I wish I had been unconscious for the last 12 months.
Many say Twitter is distracting Elon... there's nothing more for him to do at TSLA at the moment as he said... TSLA team is running incredible.
You really believe that? His insight couldn’t be helpful to the teams in charge of cybertruck, 4680, solar roof, model2, mining, and hvac?