Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't ever make everyone happy. I much rather the company I invest in bend over backwards trying to make money and to satisfy the most amount of people's need vs catering to the select few and losing money.
Given this it's amazing that Ferrari can keep the lights on. They're like the soup nazi of cars.

Given this it's amazing that Ferrari can keep the lights on. They're like the soup nazi of cars.
Different mission statements. Ferrari is in the business of making the buyer feel exclusive like Hermes. In fact I'm not even sure if their customer service is all that good. A lot of song and dance needs to be played just to buy one of their products that appreciates in value.

Also sometimes a little bit of abuse is apparently good for business...lol.

I mean in terms of Tesla sourcing raw materials for iron cathodes and making LFP cells in house for vechicles and energy storage.

On the vechicle side, all 4680 and structural packs is advantage.

For energy storage, cylindrical LFP is possible, I don't know why Tesla would make cells in another format.

It is just a hunch that Tesla will make 4680 LFP cells. They may prefer to buy prismatic from Chinese suppliers, but the IRA encourages North American production.
They are much more expensive-4680 I mean. CATL costs are a fraction of Tesla’s.

The interesting new industrial storage solutions are almost all iron batteries of some sort. Some focused on heat, some power. I don’t think lifepo has a long life in utility solutions the other options should be far cheaper still and many have promise of more scalability and very benign chemistries.

For now Tesla is ok as they have a better solution environment. That is being eroded.

Different mission statements. Ferrari is in the business of making the buyer feel exclusive like Hermes. In fact I'm not even sure if their customer service is all that good. A lot of song and dance needs to be played just to buy one of their products that appreciates in value.
Nah, they've gotten pretty good at service and warranty work, cars come with years of service coverage included etc. In the exotic world, Ferrari is a safe bet and Mclaren is trash for ex. But to my joke of the soup nazi, they will take legal action against you if you mod their cars in ways they don't like besides making you jump thru hoops for their more exclusive cars.

They are much more expensive-4680 I mean. CATL costs are a fraction of Tesla’s.

The interesting new industrial storage solutions are almost all iron batteries of some sort. Some focused on heat, some power. I don’t think lifepo has a long life in utility solutions the other options should be far cheaper still and many have promise of more scalability and very benign chemistries.

For now Tesla is ok as they have a better solution environment. That is being eroded.
LFP 3,000-4,000 cycles 100% DOD.
10,000 cycles for 80% DOD.
The best business strategy is cycle 80% and keep 10-20% in reserve for unexpected price spikes.
For LFP, Tesla needs to be able to match CATL's raw materials prices.
Cylindrical and tabless should be easier to make than prismatic with tabs.
Chinese wages are an advantage, but Chinese cells attract tarrifs.
Grid energy storage is a crowded field, but Elon said recently that the market opportunity for Tesla was huge.

This is a false dilemma argument as these are not the only two choices available.
Graham said the roaster is one of the broken promises. When do you think Musk should have assembled the line for the car? During the Model 3 ramp? Covid shut down? Model Y ramp? Chip shortages? What company resources do you think Musk misplaced during the past 2 years which could have went to the roadster to make some the 1%er happy and doesn't cost Tesla money in the process?

Graham said the roaster is one of the broken promises. When do you think Musk should have assembled the line for the car? During the Model 3 ramp? Covid shut down? Model Y ramp? Chip shortages? What company resources do you think Musk misplaced during the past 2 years which could have went to the roadster to make some the 1%er happy and doesn't cost Tesla money in the process?
Now you're moving the goal posts. What Graham is saying is simply that Elon's repeated broken promises hurt his and Tesla's reputation. Maybe he shouldn't have made promises he wasn't sure he could keep. If Elon did feel sure about those promises, God help us.

Now you're moving the goal posts. What Graham is saying is simply that Elon's repeated broken promises hurt his and Tesla's reputation. Maybe he shouldn't have made promises he wasn't sure he could keep. If Elon did feel sure about those promises, God help us.
Depends on how you look at it. Yes there are promises Elon made that did not come to fruition. However he has stuck to his company's statement and did his best to offset as many ICE on the road as possible which is the promise Tesla intend to keep everyday. So if we slow down production to make halo cars, then we are going against the mission statement because the speed as which we transition is part of the statement.

Hard to take seriously a FTX shill, promoting Shiba inu and similar crap. Sasha Yanshin has a good take on him and similar pseudo analysts:
Deleted material
Ok, thanks.. didn’t know this. I also saw that Jeremy from Financial Eduction invested again in TSLA but his reputation is also in shatters with his investements in Tatooed Chef and Honest which have now become penny stocks.

Just FYI, some Rivian news.

First, while we weep at TSLA stock price, RIVN is now trading at book value ($17B). You could buy it for $17B, get $17B in cash from their bank account, and still have a struggling EV vehicle maker left over.

Meanwhile, Electrify America is replacing their old chargers with brand new chargers which are just as unreliable, except in new and exciting ways. If you charge your vehicle over 200 kW, you run the risk that the charger will deliver more energy than requested resulting in an emergency shutdown of the vehicle's charging capability. Hard resets must follow. In addition, somehow these chargers are failing en mass in our current cold snap. Not enough anti-freeze??

On the plus side, Rivian just released a new OTA update which fixes suspension and pedal map issues people were having (me included), so that's nice. The R1S continues to be a great vehicle for us.

Yes AND it is a very liquid stock so it really doesn’t matter unless the volume is really really low.
Yup. I’ve made at least 1 if not more previous posts about how since TSLA’s 3 to 1 split, liquidity has only increased so it’s super easy to short now and CNS (continuous net settlement) basically causes any failures to be washed through the system and never registering as FTDs (fail to delivers) which previously helped to pump TSLA to new highs. Now we are dependent on macro, Tesla execution, and earnings to pump TSLA stock price.