Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decrease in reservations may be due to Tesla banning resellers/touts from selling reservations:-

Can't edit. It's just occurred to me, if a lot of reservations were cancelled due to being thought to be resellers - would that mean that those reservations would have been at a lower price? If so, have deliveries which were reserved later, when prices were higher had an effect on Average Selling Prices, Margin etc.

Is this why Tesla put effort into weeding out reseller reservations? It's nice to have genuine direct customers rather than intermediaries, but it might also have a positive effect on income too. Thirdly, these resellers might be flaky & more likely to cancel reservations or just not good for genuine demand data, so excluding them provides better quality data for order flow, allowing better supplier planning & price tweaking.

That's a longer slowdown than I would expect, particularly with no major upgrades known about. It would be useful to know if this is driven by supply chain issues, COVID issues, logistics issues or something else.

Berlin and Austin still appear to be ramping hard so it's unlikely to be an aggregate demand issue.
I agree it is longer than a simple Chinese New Year would normally be. The Chinese Covid wave is quite capable of causing all the things you note and more : supply chain; logistics; buyers; own-manufacturing/assembly.

*** It also indicates that Reuters has a functional source inside Tesla-Shanghai. ***

I agree it is longer than a simple Chinese New Year would normally be. The Chinese Covid wave is quite capable of causing all the things you note and more : supply chain; logistics; buyers; own-manufacturing/assembly.

*** It also indicates that Reuters has a functional source inside Tesla-Shanghai. ***
An inside source might not have the full picture.

Generally it us best to maximize production, even if prices and margins need to be reduced.

It is better to ship cars overseas if local Chinese demand is not sufficient.

Hopefully we get some explaination during the earnings call

I don't know how much of a source one needs if a company informs their workers and suppliers of days off ahead of time.

As to the longer shutdown:
Standard national holiday is Jan 21-Jan 27 . That's a Saturday to a Friday.
Tesla is reportedly pausing Jan 20-Jan 31, a Friday through Tuesday. (Exclusive vs inclusive is yet to be seen).

Which requires ships.
Port is packed, so pause production, get those moved, run for a couple weeks, pause, get those shipped, then (hopefully) C has reduced and normal shipping and buying channels return.

Ok, that's the last of my optimism.

Here are my thoughts:

If there is purely a demand problem in China for cars that *cannot be sold elsewhere*, why wouldn’t Tesla drop prices? They certainly have the margin to do it, especially since Elon recently said they prefer volume over profits and would sell a car at zero margin if need be.

So, I think a reasonable explanation is one or more of the following:

-Cars are getting shipped elsewhere which can sell for higher prices (e.g. Australia) that more than make up for the additional logistics costs.

-Covid-related problems, either with suppliers or at the Shanghai factory itself, are preventing Tesla from making more cars even if they wanted to.

-Tesla decided that with Covid problems, now would be a better time to do retooling (Highlander?) and other upgrades and pulled that work forward earlier than expected. Better to do this work now while there are external factors out of their control.

So assuming that world is not ending tomorrow and TSLA will not become penny stock in foreseeable future ( both entirely believable potential outcomes if you spend more than 2 minutes on a certain social media platform) what could possibly happen based on few select prior TSLA drawdowns

In early 2016 TSLA fell -42% over 7 weeks then V shaped rally of +91% over next 8 weeks

In early 2020 TsLA fell -63.8% over 7 weeks then initial rebound of 2.48X off lows over next 6 weeks although it continued to march much higher for rest of 2020

In both cases upper weekly bollinger was hit before pullback

Currently TSLA so far drop is - 61.4% over 14 weeks and upper weekly bollinger sits at $335.71 which is 2.77X $121 (assuming $121 as bottom)

Whatever happens it will not be boring
Thanks for this. What's your strategy from here, TT?... Been following you on Twitter and seem to recall you got off margin maybe a few months ago (good move). As I explained in another thread, I am in the (much too late) process of biting the bullet today. Sadly sold a big chuck of shares in premarket, to hopefully buy back my underwater puts when market opens.

Probably foolish to think about trying to recoup these losses/lost shares, but the thought had crossed my mind of converting some shares to LEAPS awaiting the eventual slingshot back up. Will let things settle a bit, but just trying to thing about what alternatives are out there to eventually take advantage of big bounce back.

Here are my thoughts:

If there is purely a demand problem in China for cars that *cannot be sold elsewhere*, why wouldn’t Tesla drop prices? They certainly have the margin to do it, especially since Elon recently said they prefer volume over profits and would sell a car at zero margin if need be.

-Cars are getting shipped elsewhere which can sell for higher prices (e.g. Australia) that more than make up for the additional logistics costs.

-Covid-related problems, either with suppliers or at the Shanghai factory itself, are preventing Tesla from making more cars even if they wanted to.

-Tesla decided that with Covid problems, now would be a better time to do retooling (Highlander?) and other upgrades and pulled that work forward earlier than expected. Better to do this work now while there are external factors out of their control.
Agree with everything you say, but the timing, of course, is awful. The bearish narrative, unfortunately, continues.

Reactions: tslalala
An inside source might not have the full picture.

Generally it us best to maximize production, even if prices and margins need to be reduced.

Hopefully we get some explaination during the earnings call
Earnings Call you say, checks watch... oh yes, another 5 weeks of information vacuum and FUD running riot...

Here are my thoughts:

Yes, any or all of this could be true, how about some clarification from, I don't know, Tesla themselves perhaps?

Lol, REUTERS... 970K shares traded during the 8:00 o'clock minute:

TSLA.2022-12-27.08-00.png

...putting the B00-spin on Giga Shanghai's annual Chinese New Year break. What geniuses. /s

I've mentioned this before:

- 5.75 % x 4 days == 'gap closed' to Aug 13, 2020.

sc.TSLA.Fall2020.2020-08-31.png

Who ya gonna Call! ROTO-REUTERS!

It would be nice if Charlie Munger's recent admiration for Tesla/Elon, which coincides with TSLA's PE ratio approaching that of Berkshire Hathaway, would translate into a magnitude of share purchase of TSLA by BRK that coincides with that they did with AAPL years ago. Maybe an appreciation for the pricing power, growth potential and raw material acquisition foresight of the energy storage side of things will get them in the game.

So assuming that world is not ending tomorrow and TSLA will not become penny stock in foreseeable future ( both entirely believable potential outcomes if you spend more than 2 minutes on a certain social media platform) what could possibly happen based on few select prior TSLA drawdowns

In early 2016 TSLA fell -42% over 7 weeks then V shaped rally of +91% over next 8 weeks

In early 2020 TsLA fell -63.8% over 7 weeks then initial rebound of 2.48X off lows over next 6 weeks although it continued to march much higher for rest of 2020

In both cases upper weekly bollinger was hit before pullback

Currently TSLA so far drop is - 61.4% over 14 weeks and upper weekly bollinger sits at $335.71 which is 2.77X $121 (assuming $121 as bottom)

Whatever happens it will not be boring

Is there difference of recovery potential in a bull vs bear market?