Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry but I have to add my 2 cents onto this in "Canadian" perspective. While most of the model 3/Y are cleared during the december sales and slowly replenish back in, there are still lots of Model X (and some S) sitting on the dealer parking lot awaiting for buyer, especially model X list is long in Vancouver (35) and in Toronto (41). One can look it up

Clearly there are slower demand with these S/X model due to the awesome economy situation. I hope Tesla realize this and shift some of these production into something else such as new gen model 3/superchargers/megapack/semi/cheaper model instead of keep pumping out cars that is hard to sell.

Can't wait Tom to do his magic

View attachment 891752
Tesla have not even started right hand drive production of refreshed S/X.

These RHD markets have not seen an S/X delivery for years now... plenty to go at for Tesla S/X production even in this recession.

Tesla have not even started right hand drive production of refreshed S/X.

These RHD markets have not seen an S/X delivery for years now... plenty to go at for Tesla S/X production even in this recession.
Not just RHD markets. It’s still not possible to order a non-plaid S/X in the EU. IIRC, there was an announcement that China would start taking plaid orders in the near future, so no X/S in 2 years in China either.

I’m surprised
I was expecting a -5/6% premarket
Macros being green might help
Not bad. Not bad at all
Bears and TE might be disappointed by end of the day
Life of a TSLA bear 🐻 is never easy. 2022 might give everyone exactly the wrong impression that TSLA bears/shorts are rockstars. I can assure you they most certainly are not. 2023 might just prove the point.
Most of all I feel for erstwhile TSLA bulls now turned bears. Dude! That’s not an easy life. Being wrong twice can be hard. Most fail to recover. You see, between 2010 to 2022 there were only 2 years TSLA closed in red: 2016 and 2022. Ladies and gentlemen, now place your bets.

Last edited:
Yes, the problem isn't actually the growth of P&D, but rather that Tesla kept guiding 50% for the year when it was totally obvious that this was extremely unlikely, they should have guided lower after Q2 then beaten that guidance if possible. And yes, we know they mean 50% average over several years, but Wall Street doesn't play like that, and yes, we know that Elon doesn't like to play with Wall Street, but it's our portfolios that are being hammered

It's just awful communication and expectation management from Tesla, no excuses at all

I can’t remember that Tesla has ever issued a warning (production/delivery, profit). They just don’t do that. Not that a couple of percent is a reason to issue a warning.
I do remember that Elon once said that ‘A win should feel like a win’, so it would be better to give less aggressive targets.

Is Gene Munster correct in stating that every Tesla produced is backed by a specific order?
If so, then I don't think I am the only one misunderstanding the situation.
Gene is right, Tesla has an order backlog and produces vehicles based on customer orders. The customer order match to a specific vehicle happens during e.g. shipments e.g. China or US (S,X) to Europe often when it's still on the ocean.

At least that was what happened with my car and I have confirmation from many others. I was asked to pay the full bill while my vehicle was still in transit and many other customers have confirmed the same. Thats when the VIN is assigned but production only happens if the order pool allows it. In Australia, there is a ship with 4,000 vehicles not yet unloaded, and too late for Q4. I received confirmation that Australian customers already paid for their cars. IOWs the entire story about Tesla is building inventory up and has no demand is wrong because the inventory in transit is already sold.

So all or the vast majority of the so-called investor is because logistics issues didn't allow Tesla to deliver on time. My money will be seen in the balance sheet cash flow but not in the vehicle count. My Model S is counted as inventory although it's my car that I will receive tomorrow January 4th and that's true for many others. Tesla sold all display cars and had zero inventory in Germany left because they gave them away knowing new cars will come in.

What I'm trying to say is that the notion that inventory is building in Q4 is an indication of weak demand is totally wrong. Tesla is selling every vehicle they produce. Sadly few understand how supply chain and make-to-order processes work in the automotive world.

Apart from Tesla‘s P/D numbers also today this news in Belgium:
Car sales at the lowest level since 1995.
2022: 366.303 cars
2021: 383.123
2020: 431.491
2019: 550.003
However the last 5 months has seen an increase each month, and 2023 is expected to be a good year, since production shortages are disappearing.

Perspective.

I’m surprised
I was expecting a -5/6% premarket
Macros being green might help
baby-facepalm.gif

Still early to say, but Europe numbers seem underwhelming enough to actually give credit to the theory that many of these cars are still in transit:
We'll only know for sure in February.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
What I'm trying to say is that the notion that inventory is building in Q4 is an indication of weak demand is totally wrong. Tesla is selling every vehicle they produce. Sadly few understand how supply chain and make-to-order processes work in the automotive world.
I think we can say that in Q4 demand was a little weak, hence the price cuts.

If demand is soft then you drop prices and reach a new equilibrium. Let’s hope that softness was temporary.

I think we can say that in Q4 demand was a little weak, hence the price cuts.

If demand is soft then you drop prices and reach a new equilibrium. Let’s hope that softness was temporary.
There is nothing new nor to see here. Tesla was over the years all the time attracting buyers with different measures and they've done the same in Q4. With regards to the price cuts, you refer to in Germany, for instance, the opposite happened and the Model S is now 10k higher in cost than 12 months ago.

How do you explain that with weak demand?

Is Gene Munster correct in stating that every Tesla produced is backed by a specific order?
If so, then I don't think I am the only one misunderstanding the situation.
Used to be that way in the early times. Not efficient any more, so they switched to producing all configurations and matching later (for example for cars coming from Shanghai to Europe, VINs are assigned to people who ordered when they are on the ship). Has been that way for years though. Gene might have missed/forgotten that.

There is nothing new nor to see here. Tesla was over the years all the time attracting buyers with different measures and they've done the same in Q4. With regards to the price cuts, you refer to in Germany, for instance, the opposite happened and the Model S is now 10k higher in cost than 12 months ago.

How do you explain that with weak demand?
It's always relative. After all we say demand is up when Tesla is able to raise prices. We can also be accurate if we say that demand just didn't grow as fast as supply did in 2H.

I'm not particularly worried moving forward though.