Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California car crash: Tesla plunges 250 feet off cliff at 'Devil's Slide'

Finally, a good Tesla story from the CA accident

I think we can say that in Q4 demand was a little weak, hence the price cuts.

Customers were duped into delaying deliveries in the U.S. by uncertainty over IRA subsidies. Now the rug is pulled out from under any customer who waited for the most popular Model Y. That's not "weak demand", that's "market manipulation".

5426579.jpg

Do you have any doubt whatsoever if the 5-seater Model Y was available today for $57,490 that there'd be any lack of demand?

Do you think anyone would have bought that same Model Y in December unless Tesla ate the margin hit by offering a matching discount to the expected subsidy?

And now, SURPRISE! no subsidy. But they get to compete with subsidized gasoline hybrids. $7500 buys about 65K miles worth of gas for a 30 mpg hybrid. Free gas, thanks IRS. /s

That's a DOUBLE WHAMMY, and it was by design. It goes back to when the law was passed and the rules were withheld until the day before they take effect. That bananna-republic level corruption right up in there.

Last edited:
99% of pre-market is strongly green and TSLA is down >4% on P&D numbers which were a new ATH by 30%. TSLA is down simply because the actual numbers were about 5% lower than what Wall Street analysts wanted them to be. STILL new all time high production and deliveries, just not by enough to make the professionals happy about themselves. Thus, red day for TSLA.

Amazing. :rolleyes:

Still early to say, but Europe numbers seem underwhelming enough to actually give credit to the theory that many of these cars are still in transit:
We'll only know for sure in February.

Still waiting on a lot of data, for example UK data for the whole of December not in.

Even then Tesla 2022 numbers currently slightly below 2021 with European sales taking a hard hit from Shanghai Covid closures in Q2.

Still early to say, but Europe numbers seem underwhelming enough to actually give credit to the theory that many of these cars are still in transit:
We'll only know for sure in February.
If it is too early to say, why do you anyway? Too little noise here :rolleyes:?

Customers were duped into delaying deliveries in the U.S. by uncertainty over subsidies. Now the rug out from under any customer who waited for the most popular Model Y. That's not "weak demand", that's "market manipulation".

Do you have any doubt whatsoever if the 5-seater Model Y was available today for $57,490 that there'd be any lack of demand?

Do you think anyone would have bought that same Model Y in December unless Tesla ate the margin hit by offering a matching discount to the expected subsidy?

And now, SURPRISE, no subsidy! (but Tesla still ate the margin hit in Dec). And they get to compete with subsidized gas hybrids. That's a DOUBLE WHAMMY, and it was by design. It goes back to when the law was passed and the rules were withheld until the day before they take effect. That bananna-republic level corruption right up in there.
Yes of course if the price of the Y is lower by $7800 more buyers happen. We knew some buyers would wait (right or wrong) for the credit. Along the way we hoped that enough would realize they didn't qualify etc. That didn't happen and Tesla had to cut prices this Q. I'm expecting prices to return to normal or very close myself and for the IRA to increase demand above what Q4 would have been naturally.

The whole IRA business has been very shady and I think people who claim Tesla wasn't unfairly targeted along the way are being naive.

SEOUL, Jan 3 (Reuters) - South Korea's antitrust regulator said it would impose a 2.85 billion won ($2.2 million) fine on Tesla Inc for failing to tell its customers about the shorter driving range of its electric vehicles (EVs) in low temperatures.
Presume they did the same when the cold weather effect on ICE vehicle range was also noticed.

For 2023, Tesla needs an average of almost 490k per quarter to secure 50% growth. Any thoughts on how this will become attainable? China had a spike in demand when prices dropped but that demand seems to have quickly dissipated over 1.5 months. Price decreases further create a belief that there might be more decreases in the future and that one should hold off if possible. The concern is that the gap between P and D was high despite the inventory from last quarter and the week shutdown in Shanghai in Dec. Plus there is another shutdown in Jan.

If Tesla does not drop MY5 prices drastically in US to qualify for IRA, do they just bank on selling 7 seaters to hit targets? If US sales do not grow (?or drop) due to IRA shenanigans, does EU have enough demand to absorb the rest?

There is nothing new nor to see here. Tesla was over the years all the time attracting buyers with different measures and they've done the same in Q4. With regards to the price cuts, you refer to in Germany, for instance, the opposite happened and the Model S is now 10k higher in cost than 12 months ago.

How do you explain that with weak demand?
Exactly - this is why I would like to see Tesla report the number of Q4 cancellations - and do so by country and by vehicle model. And they should include the number of requests by US customers to delay the delivery of their vehicles until after the first of the year to be eligible for the IRA and/or modify their order when the vehicle criteria for IRA qualification was released after their order was placed. That data would answer the majority of questions regarding demand concern and answer concerns of potential disruptions in Q4 to Tesla by the IRA.

These are huge questions that are easily answered, and can be done so in a way that minimizes the media’s ability to further weaponize these concerns against Tesla’s performance. I personally think @avoigt observations of Germany will be similar with almost every other country on the planet - that they want their new Tesla, and they want them now, and they will pay more to get them.

If we had access to that data I think we would see the greatest percentage of Q4 delivery cancellations were in the US by a very wide margin, and that many of those cancellations were either requests to delay until after the new year for the IRA, or requests to switch their order to a Tesla model that would qualify for the IRA since that information wasn’t available until after the order was made. And if that were the case while prices for new Teslas continue to escalate elsewhere, the demand argument is over. Furthermore, we could drive a stake through the argument of whether or not the IRA disrupted Q4 with some certainty. And as far as the ‘status’ of Q4 in transit vehicles - another question answered for the media that probably does know better- because all are sold and headed to the happy new IRA recipient’s home in Q1 2023.

Let’s be honest, the US has a disproportionately large percentage of citizens that plan for very little, and live for instance gratification as compared to the rest of the world. That is what has helped make auto dealerships successful when they can put a few fake discounts on an inventory car that someone doesn’t really need - the instant gratification impulse. And it helps sustain predatory capitalism in the US. Now enter into the equation the ability to get $7,500 for the delay of your vehicle for only a couple weeks? Wow, that would be free money for most Americans buying that vehicle with almost $0 down. Americans don’t care about how much interest those loans cost. But they do like getting a chunk of change for doing nothing. For me the biggest question isn’t IF the IRA disrupted the end of Tesla’s Q4, it is ‘by how much’. And regardless of whether or not it was disrupted intentionally, we will see Tesla handled it much better than many wanted them to, and more importantly, that Q4 disruption of delayed orders/deliveries that were in transit are now a substantial jump start to an otherwise traditionally slower Q1. I believe Tesla has startled the 2023 race several car lengths ahead as a result.

We have speculated for a decade on TMC that there have always been a small percentage of fake vehicle orders made with bad intentions to attempt to complicate growth by Tesla, and I think a portion of the vehicles that end up in showrooms available for new purchase are the result of this. And it completely disproves the demand issue argument because even these vehicles fly off the shelf, regardless of configuration or location.

It’s 2023 now, and Q4 2022 is in our rear view mirror. Going forward Tesla should be vocal about wanting a fair opportunity with the IRA. For instance, it’s not the 2 rows vs 3 rows of seats in the Model Y to qualify for the IRA that I get hung up on, it the disparity between Tesla vs VW for those requirements.

Last edited:
Presume they did the same when the cold weather effect on ICE vehicle range was also noticed.
This is just a straight up lie. Cold weather doesn't cost 50% of range. Now, if conditions are just terrible it's possible your total range decrease might approach that on older vehicles without heat pumps but that includes losses due to speed, wind, etc.
1672751562194.png

could not wait. pulled the trigger in pre-market. i might regret not waiting for even lower stock price later today or even next several days but in 20 years my kids will be very happy that Dad had the foresight to buy them TSLA shares 20 years back. short term pain means nothing when just a few thousand dollars have potential of turning into several millions.
magic of compounding

Fun Fact: By the time Tesla grows to manufacturing 1,140 vehicles per hour (w. $9,800 gross margin), they'll be making the same amount of profit as ExxonMobile + Chevron averaged throughout 2022 (about $11.4M per hour).

The Good News? That's only a run-rate of 10M cars per year! And TE is extra! :D

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
For 2023, Tesla needs an average of almost 490k per quarter to secure 50% growth. Any thoughts on how this will become attainable? China had a spike in demand when prices dropped but that demand seems to have quickly dissipated over 1.5 months. Price decreases further create a belief that there might be more decreases in the future and that one should hold off if possible. The concern is that the gap between P and D was high despite the inventory from last quarter and the week shutdown in Shanghai in Dec. Plus there is another shutdown in Jan.

If Tesla does not drop MY5 prices drastically in US to qualify for IRA, do they just bank on selling 7 seaters to hit targets? If US sales do not grow (?or drop) due to IRA shenanigans, does EU have enough demand to absorb the rest?

I don't see them dropping MY5 prices in the US to meet the IRA's $55K bar. Taking options into account they'd need to drop the price to something like $52K and that's just too drastic a cut IMHO.

Maybe the new Highland version of the M3 could be affordable enough to qualify for the IRA, that would be nice. And Tesla might re-introduce the MY standard, a RWD with slightly less range, maybe. Raising the suspension height of the MY5 could qualify it but I don't think Tesla will go that route, my hunch is they'd rather keep the car's efficiency than qualify for the IRA.

I think Tesla might simply ignore the IRA and lower prices very incrementally when needed during 2023 to keep deliveries going. They've been selling without subsidies for years, and yes that will be more difficult now since many more cars get subsidies, but Tesla has the margin room to control demand and supply to a large degree. It will likely mean our margins will fall in 2023, potentially by quite a lot, and that won't be good for TSLA, but it might be good for Tesla.

My hunch is we are in for a rough & unpleasant year, but a good one for the company in the long term scope. Just my opinion though.

Tesla might re-introduce the MY standard, a RWD with slightly less range, maybe.

Indeed:

Tesla Model Y Standard Range reappears in website source code, is it finally going to be released? | Drive Tesla Canada (2023-01-02)

This is likely the 4680-cell/structural pack Made-in-Texas variant with 279 mile (449km) range and 5 second 0-60mph acceleration, as previously listed by the EPA. Could be enough cells for 1K/wk volume right away.

I don't see them dropping MY5 prices in the US to meet the IRA's $55K bar. Taking options into account they'd need to drop the price to something like $52K and that's just too drastic a cut IMHO.

Maybe the new Highland version of the M3 could be affordable enough to qualify for the IRA, that would be nice. And Tesla might re-introduce the MY standard, a RWD with slightly less range, maybe. Raising the suspension height of the MY5 could qualify it but I don't think Tesla will go that route, my hunch is they'd rather keep the car's efficiency than qualify for the IRA.

I think Tesla might simply ignore the IRA and lower prices very incrementally when needed during 2023 to keep deliveries going. They've been selling without subsidies for years, and yes that will be more difficult now since many more cars get subsidies, but Tesla has the margin room to control demand and supply to a large degree. It will likely mean our margins will fall in 2023, potentially by quite a lot, and that won't be good for TSLA, but it might be good for Tesla.

My hunch is we are in for a rough & unpleasant year, but a good one for the company in the long term scope. Just my opinion though.
My hunch is MY 5 seater will be included in the IRA in the near future, as is.
With all the inconsistencies between it and the others already listed, especially the inclusion of the worthless hybrids. By March there will be clarification, and anyone who already bought or leased it will qualify for the 2023 subsidy.

The traditional Winter break in Shanghai is Chinese New Year (the whole country shuts down for a week, and most workers travel home possibly for the only time in a year). So not Xmas.
Just an FYI: I have been notified now by several of my Chinese vendors that they are shutting down earlier this year for Chinese New Year, and coming back later. One factory is shutting down from January 24th thru February 15th! So, I don't see what the big deal is about Tesla shutting down one extra day this year, to allow their employees one extra day of travel time.