Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...For me the main question is now how the competition will react to this move. Some will be in a weak position and do have to cut production, reduce the portfolio or even close factories. This will be good for Tesla in the long term. BYD could react by lowering their prices, which would reduce the benefit of today’s price reduction.
Not to sound too flippant, but aren't many of the Chinese companies able to just cut prices to stay competitive even if it takes them into (or deeper into) negative margin due to being State sponsored?

Not to sound too flippant, but aren't many of the Chinese companies able to just cut prices to stay competitive even if it takes them into (or deeper into) negative margin due to being State sponsored?

The state is interested in competition, they are not going to bail out all 200+ EV makers. They will only step in if they all are looking to fail.

It seems unrealistic to sell 20M cars at $50K. Their ASP will likely fall below $50K this year at around 2M sales at best. If you are including FSD in that price, OK, but that is an assumption some people aren't willing to bake into their models just yet.
There’s still 7 to 8 years inflation to take into account, and my 1% net profit marging is absurdly low. It’s just an example, you can pick your own numbers.

Any ideas how long recessions last? Google says on average 10 mths ... & FED targeting soft landing ...
if so buying some Jan 25 LEAPS at these prices ...🤔 nibble some, cheap OTM Calls with most leverage ... :)
( I still have all my JAN 25 LEAPS from the piggy bank shares ... haven't adjusted/closed - but do have Jan 24 CC's against as well, Jan 24 CC's against all my shares ) ..
These price cuts starts a new chapter ...happy ending 🤷‍♂️ ??

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
There’s still 7 to 8 years inflation to take into account, and my 1% net profit marging is absurdly low. It’s just an example, you can pick your own numbers.
How realistic do you think the 20M number is? I will be VERY happy to see 5M and ecstatic if Tesla can get to 10M. Folks on this board (myself included) tend to get into trouble when we use aspirational numbers like 20M as if they are likely.

The state is interested in competition, they are not going to bail out all 200+ EV makers. They will only step in if they all are looking to fail.
I said this may be 3 or 4 years ago. Tesla should let Chinese own their stock by floating an ADR equivalent in the HK market. More than any price appreciation in the short term, this will be helpful in rewarding their workforce (do chinese workers get RSUs?) and it will let the general populace own the stock taking may be some political risk off the table.

I say this knowing the govt doesn't care about BABA shareholders, when its got a score to settle with Jack Ma.

May be someone more familiar with the China / HK market can chime in.

Here's a report of HK exchange trying to do that. Can someone who is popular on twitter Tweet this @elon?

Last edited:
If I understand your question correctly, the ground around the house, where the grounding rod is dug in, can get extremely dry in the summer months. We also have the problem of having a soil type (lots of clay) that expands significantly when wet, and contracts a lot when dry, which one supposes could cause poor electrical grounding.
I've dropped you a private message via TMC.

Reactions: growler23
How realistic do you think the 20M number is? I will be VERY happy to see 5M and ecstatic if Tesla can get to 10M. Folks on this board (myself included) tend to get into trouble when we use aspirational numbers like 20M as if they are likely.
I consider 5M in 2030 dramatically low, given that we’re on track for 2M this year.

Now IMO I much rather Tesla announce a new Model 3 2.0 or Y 2.0 than to reduce prices. I suspect BYD will do just fine without decreasing prices because their seal is new, which garnish lots of interest because it's a newest toy on the block. Tesla should compete more in that aspect.

It costs money that consumers don't have, especially in a recession, to continually change and update the products in visible ways. Legacy auto played this game and, sure, we often got new-looking cars each new model year but then they cut corners on quality to pay for it. We ended up with a race for the bottom. And then the Japanese cars came in, plain and unassuming but high quality and practical at an affordable price, and they cleaned up.

Model 3 has a rumored update coming, I think it's in Q3, and it's likely mostly to reduce manufacturing expense. They will probably take the opportunity to update aesthetics while they are at it. I love the way Elon understands the path to success is a great product at a great price. It sounds simple but so many forget that it costs money to make changes simply to "freshen the look up" and the consumer has to pay for it. Most people just want a car that they can afford and is reliable. Look how successful the Model T was, the VW Beetle, the Toyota Corolla, etc. Most of the cars I see on the road today are not "peacock cars" they are just plain and practical, that's what most people want and are willing to pay for.